Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mikala
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2736 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2737 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

I think I have tried it all. The results you see in the pictures is from a 24 hour soak in paint remover. I followed that up with an 8 hour soak in turpentine with zero change. Then I tried another 8 hours in mineral spirits, again no change.
    What's next? Sandblasting, wet sanding?
    I am not sure what these flippers are made of, they seem brittle, so I am afraid of sandblasting and wet sanding.
    Any ideas?

IMG_2737 (resized).JPGIMG_2737 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2736 (resized).JPGIMG_2736 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I believe they are made of a pot metal of some kind. And then chromed. Some of them came red coated from the factory. I've never tried to remove it though.

#3 6 years ago

Automotive thinners?

#4 6 years ago

How about sanding and polishing?

#5 6 years ago

Aircraft stripper is about the strongest stuff I use. If they are metal it would probably be OK, if they are plastic you might not have anything left. And don't get it on your skin.

#6 6 years ago

As O-din mentioned some of the 60s metal flippers were painted red and some were chromed. If you are hoping to get that chrome look after stripping them you will probably be disappointed.

#7 6 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. That coating almost seems like some kind of plastic over the metal. It might be better to just pick up a set of chromed ones that were never coated or if you are looking to repaint them, good luck!

#8 6 years ago

Dang. Learn something new every day!

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=413&yr=1964&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

shows all 1964 Williams except Zig-Zag and Wing Ding have red flippers. Never knew that.

Now....what to do? Sand and paint red, put up a "parts wanted" ad, search ebay. Swap out for another style, sand and powdercoat. My guess is that these were powdercoated, and that is why they are so resistant to chemicals. Just a crappy guess though.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

As O-din mentioned some of the 60s metal flippers were painted red and some were chromed. If you are hoping to get that chrome look after stripping them you will probably be disappointed.

The original color is red and I planned on re painting them red. This is a '64 River Boat.

Quoted from newmantjn:

Dang. Learn something new every day!
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=413&yr=1964&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced
    shows all 1964 Williams except Zig-Zag and Wing Ding have red flippers. Never knew that.
    Now....what to do? Sand and paint red, put up a "parts wanted" ad, search ebay. Swap out for another style, sand and powdercoat. My guess is that these were powdercoated, and that is why they are so resistant to chemicals. Just a crappy guess though.

I was guessing the same thing, probably powder coated. I do have someone local who can powder coat them for me.

Thanks to all for replies.

#10 6 years ago

Have a tumbler? I used aquarium gravel in mine, may take it off.

#11 6 years ago

Electric wire wheel brush. I use it for my spinners to get the original paint off when I re-decal them....

John

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Electric wire wheel brush. I use it for my spinners to get the original paint off when I re-decal them....
    John

Good idea, thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/at-wits-end-trying-to-remove-paint-from-64-wms-metal-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.