(Topic ID: 45135)

At what price would you NOT buy an LE or an NIb for that matter???

By RGR

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by SLAMT1LT
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“At what price would you NOT buy an LE or an NIb for that matter???”

• $8,000 151 votes
      61%
    • $8,500 21 votes
      8%
    • $9,000 4 votes
      2%
    • $9,500 7 votes
      3%
    • $10,000 24 votes
      10%
    • $11,000 8 votes
      3%
    • $12,000 6 votes
      2%
    • $15,,000 11 votes
      4%
    • $20,000 16 votes
      6%

(248 votes)

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 years ago

I folded before I started I'd pay 6 that's it wait for someone that's sick of it and resells it. I can justify six not 7 or 8 unless quality picks up.

1 month later
    #102 10 years ago

So who out of the71% snapped up an MM ???? 8 million worth sold in less than 24 hours...

#103 10 years ago

I think the poll implied Stern LE, or we are mostly liars.

3 years later
    #104 6 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Those options don't go low enough. There is the issue of being able to afford it, then there is the completely different issue of not feeling the product is worth what its selling for.
    I just spent the "fun" budget on a new Wrangler. I'll start buying pins when the madness subsides.

lol

#105 6 years ago

My, how times have changed...

#106 6 years ago

If anything, comfort levels of what people will pay have stayed the same over past four years. I use 5/6/7k as my guide for nib pro/ prem / Le and that is about $1.5 k lower than what I might have paid two years ago. These are is max delivered price or for local pick up. That puts me beyond the reach of Stern's marketing arm. Now must continue to resist.

Confession time - I once paid $15k for a used pin, and that was BBB. Truth is I didn't feel comfortable owning such an expensive game and sold it primarily for that reason. I wouldn't do that again nor do I plan to exceed my stated limits. Alien SE is pushing this top end, so will be watching it closely. My dream of one day owning a TBL has gone up in smoke.

4 years later
    #107 2 years ago

bump

#108 2 years ago

So long as I can sell them for what I bought them for....I guess I'm still in? Getting awfully hard to rationalize it though.

Is Stern still going to have the cheapest option, or will that now fall to American Pinball?

#109 2 years ago

I dont know what my price ceiling is, but its gettin damn close !!

#110 2 years ago

Absolutely wild to see people losing their mind about prices you can't get used machines for today. Inflation is a bear.

#111 2 years ago

What did Mando go for? Pro/Prem/Le?

#112 2 years ago

I think i am out of the Stern LE game. Bought a JPPREM and couldn’t be happier with nicer third party options out there to dress it up…

CGC, Haggis on the other hand-the value is significantly higher for me so i would say somewhere around $9k

1 year later
    #113 1 year ago

The Times They Are A-Changin'!!!!! How many in on Bond? $7k for pro is getting up to the no buy limit of 8k for Le's!!

#114 1 year ago

No on the pro at 8k - ridiculous

#115 1 year ago

I would not pay $13,001 for an LE

#116 1 year ago

Funny looking at statements made 9 years ago and then checking their collections.

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Funny looking at statements made 9 years ago and then checking their collections.

Adamant that 80% are not going to pay more than $8500 for an NIB LE.... Hell whats it going to be in another 10 years time???

#118 1 year ago

At some point, the price will outpace the value. The thing that hurts in this hobby is that we aren't talking about 10 dollar comic books here...this is a 'pay to play' type of hobby. When you are primarily dealing with collectors whom are VERY well to do, and which have lots of discretionary income...this is the type of result we get.

With a big purchase, I always ask if I would have more enjoyment spending the amount on something else. For me, that answer is 'yes' when it comes to pinball. I can't justify spending 10k+ unless I plan on keeping it the rest of my life or selling it for close to or above what was paid.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I paid 7k for a hulk. I will not go any higher even if the game blows me when I knock the replay....well, maybe id go to 7500 for that feature

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

$4400 max for Pro, $6400 max for LE.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Poll options not valid. It was a stretch to get me to pay 7K. I will not be buying any future NIB. My wallet has spoken. For that price you can store them in a warehouse!
    (after WOZ and Predator already vested)

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I will not pay more than $8k for a pinball machine. Just ain't fittin' ...ain't fittin'...

Quoted from beatmaster:

8k is too high, where is the 6k?

Quoted from davewtf:

your options don't go low enough

#121 1 year ago

bond prices have reached the point that i will not pay.

#122 1 year ago

I think it was a mistake to raise prices in this economy, I just don't think the value is there in collecting a bunch of them like it was a few years back. It's a buyers market now and prices are falling in the used arena at the same time they are going up for NIB.
    I would not buy anything now unless it was a must have lifelong title, I don't need a collection for collections sake.

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

I think it was a mistake to raise prices in this economy, I just don't think the value is there in collecting a bunch of them like it was a few years back. It's a buyers market now and prices are falling in the used arena at the same time they are going up for NIB.
    I would not buy anything now unless it was a must have lifelong title, I don't need a collection for collections sake.

Bond is a dream theme for me, but:

A) there is zero chance I'm going to spend 15k all-in on a LE

B) almost 10k for a premium is on the fence. Do I want to pay that much? No, of course not. Gameplay would have to be STELLAR for me to even consider it

C) the pro doesn't have enough on it to entice me at 7k. Besides, I can get plenty of great pins at that price.

D) the SLE is a complete unknown. If it were a reasonable price...this would likely be my horse. My guess, however, is that it will be a ridiculously high cash grab.

#124 1 year ago

Pinball now is very different than it was 4 years ago when I got in (and you old timers will laugh at that). For the past 2 years... since COVID you could buy a NIB pin, play it, sell it, and make a profit. You used to take a big hit for opening up that box. With supply/demand out of whack a pin in hand is worth substantially more than one coming in sometime next year. I'd buy a $13,000 Bond LE at $14,500 with tax and shipping if I thought I could sell it for that in a year, but I don't know that I could anymore. The NIB pins I've bought (Rick and Morty and Godzilla Premium (well, 7 plays on that one) all were "free pins" where I played it for a while and then sold it for more than I paid for it. When that is the case, so long as I have free cash it doesn't really matter how much it costs as long as I can get my money back. The LE package model at Stern is less about the extra bling these days and more about not having to wait 6 months for it.

I've got one pin on order now, a NIB Weird Al LE. Its the one pin I'm buying not caring if I can get my money back out as Weird Al is my number one dream theme, and the more I read into the P3 system the more I like it. I paid an extra $1800 for the LE kit mostly for the squeezebox topper. I'm more inclined to buy an LE or an expensive pin when I can put down a reasonable deposit and pay the rest when it is ready to ship... like I have with Weird Al and did with Rick and Morty. I paid $500 over $MSRP to pick up Godzilla for the showroom model with 7 plays because I could walk out of the store with it.

So long as the "flash to bang" of buying an LE means that you get your pin first, I think Stern will continue to go gangbusters with this model. They are pushing it on price though. I think JJP found the ceiling.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Bond is a dream theme for me, but:
    A) there is zero chance I'm going to spend 15k all-in on a LE
    B) almost 10k for a premium is on the fence. Do I want to pay that much? No, of course not. Gameplay would have to be STELLAR for me to even consider it
    C) the pro doesn't have enough on it to entice me at 7k. Besides, I can get plenty of great pins at that price.
    D) the SLE is a complete unknown. If it were a reasonable price...this would likely be my horse. My guess, however, is that it will be a ridiculously high cash grab.

That's sad to hear, but makes a lot of sense.

I read about a homebrew recently, a guy made a TNA clone for around 4K and that was buying all the parts at retail cost and shipping them to Australia.

I think the manufactures think they are selling cars or something people can't live without.

#126 1 year ago

And yet the Bond Les sold out almost instantly.... There is still a demand, I just wonder how many of the ~80% bought one

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from RGR:

And yet the Bond Les sold out almost instantly.... There is still a demand, I just wonder how many of the ~80% bought one

I wonder how many are flippers that will lose money and how many players will sell in 6 months to a year at a substantial loss?

When you take out those 2 groups, you find the true ceiling. I agree that JJP has already found that ceiling. I have the strong feeling that Stern is about to as well.

#128 1 year ago

Stern. Is that you?

#129 1 year ago

Need to adjust for inflation… Bond and TS4 are the true step-change jumps. For me as an operator I buy basically every Stern pro and sometimes also buy LE at home, knowing I can sell in 6-18 mos with little if any risk; typically making small profit.

With the Bond LE price jump, that essentially outpaced inflation (hard to do!), it is the first time in forever where I didn’t even stress all day on reveal day about whether I should or shouldn’t. It’s a clear No. That ‘wallow back and forth and eventually buy it’ price was $12k for me. The principal really.

#130 1 year ago

I never thought I would pay anything close to 9500 for a game, but I bought a GZ this year. Although I am selling a High Speed, Pinbot and likely a Sopranos to make it up. But hey, winters are long and this gives me something to do for the next 6 months.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I never thought I would pay anything close to 9500 for a game, but I bought a GZ this year. Although I am selling a High Speed, Pinbot and likely a Sopranos to make it up. But hey, winters are long and this gives me something to do for the next 6 months.

Right. All it takes is the right theme, the right art, the right designer, the right coder, or whatever floats your boat. You don't have to sell a million pins, just enough to keep the lines moving until the next release. Stern cannot make enough games to meet demand so obviously they are floating a lot of boats.

#132 1 year ago

It all depends on how successful you are. You're talking about pocket change for some people.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/at-what-price-would-you-not-buy-an-le-or-an-nib-for-that-matter/page/3?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.