(Topic ID: 151251)

At what point is the TPF the #1 contender for best show?

By Law

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cigar-1_(resized).jpg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

also located downtown pittsburg with $10 a day parking and long walks. One of the worse pinball shows i've been to

You are, literally, the only person I've heard complain about the location. How about, $25 all-weekend parking, no need to touch a car for 3 days because everything you could want is within easy walking distance? Five blocks is a "long walk?" How many food vendors are within 5 minutes of VFW? I can tell you're not a city boy... ReplayFX is easily the best non-show pinball show experience I've had so far.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

You are, literally, the only person I've heard complain about the location. How about, $25 all-weekend parking, no need to touch a car for 3 days because everything you could want is within easy walking distance? Five blocks is a "long walk?" How many food vendors are within 5 minutes of VFW? I can tell you're not a city boy... ReplayFX is easily the best non-show pinball show experience I've had so far.

What do you mean by non show pinball show? Repay FX is a great show and those guys want to cross pramote with Pintastic New England this year. I am very excited to be working with them to help pramote pinball!

#53 8 years ago

I done tourneys before I know how they work. I don't need to do the replayfx one. I'm with the guy above, just too brutal and makes me hate pinball. I don't find that tourney fun. I just wish it would all go back to the papa facility. That was like pinball heaven there. This Pittsburgh convention center is just hell. Worst place for a pinball show ever.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

That was like pinball heaven there.

I agree with this! Pinball nirvana!

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

What do you mean by non show pinball show? Repay FX is a great show and those guys want to cross pramote with Pintastic New England this year. I am very excited to be working with them to help pramote pinball!

"Best non-show pinball show experience" meaning the time I spent in the area, but not at the actual show. For comparison, staying at the old Radisson and hanging at the Scott Twp facility is pretty fun from a 'tailgating' experience, but not nearly as fun as exploring downtown PGH at ReplayFX. Chicago Expo is basically in a suburb (boring), Ohio was/is semi-rural (boring).. MGC was in a suburb, with a snowstorm (annoying). Compared to all that, downtown Pittsburgh in the summer was a blast.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I done tourneys before I know how they work. I don't need to do the replayfx one. I'm with the guy above, just too brutal and makes me hate pinball. I don't find that tourney fun. I just wish it would all go back to the papa facility. That was like pinball heaven there. This Pittsburgh convention center is just hell. Worst place for a pinball show ever.

Hey, I respect your opinion, but I do think you're in the minority. Most people seemed to like the convention center, aside from some lighting issues. Competitive pinball can be brutal, yes...

BTW PAPA is still at the Scott Twp building... http://papa.org/competitions/papa-world-championships/papa-19-world-championships/

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

"Best non-show pinball show experience" meaning the time I spent in the area, but not at the actual show. For comparison, staying at the old Radisson and hanging at the Scott Twp facility is pretty fun from a 'tailgating' experience, but not nearly as fun as exploring downtown PGH at ReplayFX. Chicago Expo is basically in a suburb (boring), Ohio was/is semi-rural (boring).. MGC was in a suburb, with a snowstorm (annoying). Compared to all that, downtown Pittsburgh in the summer was a blast.

Well in that case you should try Pintastic. Great historical area with tons to do with in a short drive. Not to mention the hotel is on a beautiful lake with a nice sandy beach for the family. Oh and of course the little nice touches like wall to wall carpet and dimming shandeleers in the free play room. We are not the best but we have our nich.

#58 8 years ago

I really miss the whole PAPA experience. when they moved to the convention center, everything changed. Silverball country club no longer has their pre-party (which was *awesome*). And as stated above, the convention center with it's massive concrete floors and structures, just sucks the life from within. It's probably me, but i just don't like it, and will probably never go to ReplayFX again. They ruined the perfect thing.

#59 8 years ago

All shows have their different points of excellence. After helping organize many events and tournaments I realize the hard work that all show organizers and volunteers put into their events.

I try not to compare events or take shots at other shows because the people who take the time and effort to put on a show should be applauded no matter what size the show is.

TPF is awesome, Expo is awesome, VFW is awesome, Replay FX is awesome. All pinball shows are awesome in their own ways. If you enjoy pinball, try and do what you can to make it out to any show near you and support the hobby, support the organizers, and support pinball.

Don't forget it was not that long ago that pinball nearly had zero manufacturers. I think it is fantastic that there are so shows many to choose from now because that wasn't the case even 10 years ago. Keep supporting them so they stick around!

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

TPF is awesome, Expo is awesome, VFW is awesome, Replay FX is awesome.

And Pintastic is awesome...and only in their second year, like Replay. I agree with you...I've loved different things about every show I've been to.

#61 8 years ago

Yep I hate the downtown Pittsburgh location too. It was way better at PAPA facility.

Oh and Pintastic is my favourite show! I will be going again this year!

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Yep I hate the downtown Pittsburgh location too. It was way better at PAPA facility.
    Oh and Pintastic is my favourite show! I will be going again this year!

With the growth of Pinburgh no way could it be held in the Papa Facility until it goes through a remodeling and some parking arrangements made. Papa facility parking is tolerable during Papa since people come and go when they please.

I didn't attend Pinburgh last year due to some concerns. Will be attending this year as I can see the RelpayFx staff making needed changes and improvements to the event.

#63 8 years ago

Thinking of driving to TPF since gas is cheap and I took the Friday off of work (havent bought tickets yet tho). Never been to any events besides the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown which is pretty local to me.

12.5 hour drive each way.
    talk me into it!

#64 8 years ago

The TPF to me has a very similar feel to the RMPS but with over twice the machines. It's a great show, do it!

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Thinking of driving to TPF since gas is cheap and I took the Friday off of work (havent bought tickets yet tho). Never been to any events besides the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown which is pretty local to me.
    talk me into it!

If you decide to drive to TPF, let me know. I'll hook you up with one of my weekend passes since I am bringing plenty of games.

Marcus

#66 8 years ago

talk me into it!

do it! I am coming in from Madison, WI and 1st beer is on me!

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

If you decide to drive to TPF, let me know. I'll hook you up with one of my weekend passes since I am bringing plenty of games.
    Marcus

Sounds like a deal to me!

Quoted from Whysnow:

do it! I am coming in from Madison, WI and 1st beer is on me!

beer and pinball, doesnt get much better, i think im gonna have to make the trip!

#68 8 years ago

As soon as I arrive. That is when it is officially designated the best show,

--Jeff

#69 8 years ago

Didn't go to replayFX but downtown Pitt is the shiz.
    Downtown for day, Carson St for night

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

More proof you're awesome, Marcus.

#71 8 years ago

This will be our first time in Texas, we are arriving Thursday afternoon and flying back on Monday.

Besides the show, are there any must see things in the Dallas area?

There are 4 of is coming and we are looking forward to the show!

#72 8 years ago

Thinking of driving to TPF since gas is cheap and I took the Friday off of work .....

me too

#73 8 years ago

Sounds like a deal to me!

beer and pinball, doesnt get much better, i think im gonna have to make the trip!

+

cigar-1_(resized).jpgcigar-1_(resized).jpg

#74 8 years ago

Please. The Texas Show has the "Mayor". That makes it the best.

#75 8 years ago

I dunno but that Mayor guy. Kind of a dick

-Jeff

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

must see things in the Dallas area?

Tons of homeless people and about-to-be-homeless people that flaunt their "wealth" by using credit cards? =P

#77 8 years ago

talk me into it!

I'm coming to RM this year and I've never been to anything but Texas and Houston shows.

#78 8 years ago

Whysnow nailed it!!! Go PAGG 2016,Best,PINBALL show,NorCal!! Best show,CAX,period!!

#79 8 years ago

just bought my entry into the tournament, so i am committed to making the road trip!

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Tons of homeless people and about-to-be-homeless people that flaunt their "wealth" by using credit cards? =P

Not sure its quite that bad. Homeless flaunting wealth on card. Nahh....

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.