(Topic ID: 41763)

At what point does "shopped" transition to "restored"

By sgrien

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I'm a noob who just acquired my first pin and have been cleaning, polishing, replacing incorrect drop targets with correct ones and performing any and all recommended ground mods etc. I'm doing everything I can to bring this machine back to it's original appearance and operation (short of completely replacing everything with new), but at what point does a shop job become a restore job? What qualifies?

#2 11 years ago

Shopped means doing anything one might consider regular maintenance and cleaning such as replacing rubber, lamps, gear motors, etc.

Restored means majors cosmetic and/or mechanical work to bring a game back to like new (or close to it) condition such as playfield touch up and clear (or full replacement), cab decals or reprint, leg polishing or painting, major board repair, etc.

-Ed

#3 11 years ago

when the person who shopped it goes to sell it and starts thinking about how many hours of work they did...

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

when the person who shopped it goes to sell it and starts thinking about how many hours of work they did...

So true.

#5 11 years ago

Throw in refurbished and restified (my term i just made up) and then we can really confuse you.

#6 11 years ago

Like Ed stated, shopped *should* mean the playfield was cleaned and everything was repaired as necessary to make the game 100% functional.

Restored *should* mean the entire machine was brought back to like-new condition using new parts where needed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/at-what-point-does-shopped-transition-to-restored and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.