(Topic ID: 235783)

At what age did you discover pinball and how? (Poll added)

By Pinballlew

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Nickrc3
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How old were you when you discovered and became interested in the Silver Ball?”

• Zero to 10 years old 116 votes
      47%
    • 10 to 20 years old 81 votes
      33%
    • 20 to 30 years old 18 votes
      7%
    • 30 to 40 years old 23 votes
      9%
    • 40 to 50 years old 6 votes
      2%
    • 50 to 60 years old 1 vote
    • 60+ 2 votes
      1%

(247 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lucky-leos-seaside-nj-boardwalk-terry-deluco (resized).jpg
    IMG_1791 (resized).JPG
    marx-toy-co-1960s-electric-pinball_1_e05f7e45ae55758079b133b12976e379 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190211-131617 (resized).png
    BB (resized).jpg
    9cf3-f27e-5fea-ae73-a49163a5e948 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cynric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 5 years ago

Born in '85 and living in a small rural town from age 4, I didn't grow up with arcades or many games in the wild. I remember some swimming pools and a few restaurants having pins when I was a kid/juvenile. While I did play some of them occasionally, especially the one in the open air pool next town where I spent most summer afternoons anyway - iirc it was a T2 followed by a one of the Star Wars pins, I really did not know that these games had rules and stuff to do besides randomly shooting things to see random stuff happening.. But that was enough to form a fond memory of these games.

Then the machines disappeared one after another and real life pinball was gone.

I've always liked pinball pc games since I was a kid and in my 20s I came across a really good simulation (Dream Pinball 3D) and became slightly hooked. Some time later in 2012 the German computer magazine c't brought a big article about virtual pinball cabinets and pinball in general. In this article there was a link to database for public pinball locations. I entered my zip code and was hit by a whopping 40 something results in a small town 10km away in a place called "for amusement only e.V.", that was apparently open once a month

Told my buddy who also liked pinball about it, we went there the next open day, and I was totally overwhelmed by what I saw: 2 old rambling, connected shops, packed with pinball and arcade machines. Blinking lights, electrical and mechanical sounds, the smell of heated components and ozone everywhere. Knowing arcades only from movies I was in paradise.

My buddy and I went there the next month too. The one after that we became members. Since then we've both stayed regulars, spent countless evenings there, became pinball techs and started a collection of machines each.

The club has since moved to a new much bigger location, gained lots of members (and lost some), expanded the collection greatly to the point where we are out of space again, and has become widely known and recognized, drawing up to 400 visitors each open day...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cynric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/at-what-age-did-you-discover-pinball-and-how?tu=cynric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.