(Topic ID: 235783)

At what age did you discover pinball and how? (Poll added)

By Pinballlew

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Nickrc3
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How old were you when you discovered and became interested in the Silver Ball?”

• Zero to 10 years old 116 votes
      47%
    • 10 to 20 years old 81 votes
      33%
    • 20 to 30 years old 18 votes
      7%
    • 30 to 40 years old 23 votes
      9%
    • 40 to 50 years old 6 votes
      2%
    • 50 to 60 years old 1 vote
    • 60+ 2 votes
      1%

(247 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lucky-leos-seaside-nj-boardwalk-terry-deluco (resized).jpg
    IMG_1791 (resized).JPG
    marx-toy-co-1960s-electric-pinball_1_e05f7e45ae55758079b133b12976e379 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190211-131617 (resized).png
    BB (resized).jpg
    9cf3-f27e-5fea-ae73-a49163a5e948 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 5 years ago

Other than one of those cheap plastic pinball boxes like Sears would sell, I don't remember how I was introduced to pinball. I grew up in a small town; There was a place where the kids hung out that always had a couple of pins. But we moved to the big city when I was 10 years old in 1962. and I don't remember ever going into that hangout until I started to go back and visit my best friend from 1963 to 1969.

My first recollection of pinball is when we moved into a rented house and my dad told me there was a pinball machine in the basement. It was a woodrail. The coin push unit had been jimmied so you could push in for a free play. I don't remember what that pin was; I remember that the play field dominant color was a creamy light green.

I liked playing that pin. I did not love playing it. When my cousins would come over we would play and work for that Special to light up. The rest of the time I was out on the streets with my bicycle.

One time in 1963, we stopped at a roadside restaurant and there was a pin. 5 balls for a dime. Years and years later, like 2013, and I was getting reacquainted with pinball, in the depths of my mind that pin floated to the top and I remember it was Gottlieb Slick Chick but what I remember most about it is that some of those pop bumpers did not work.

I played several other pins during the 60s but the only one I can remember by name is Moulin' Rouge.

I graduated high school in 1970, joined the navy, started hot rodding cars, hitting the bars, and smoking the rope.

The next time I remember playing a pin was when a Williams Fire was placed in the convenience I would stop at when coming home from my 2nd shift job. That would have been in 1987.

So, I liked pinball. I did not love pinball. And I certainly was no Wizard.

2012. This is when I first saw a visual pinball on Youtube. I did not know what it was but I was fascinated. Once I figured out what was going on I built a visual pinball machine. Then I bought a beater Bally Playboy. Then the Playboy broke and sat idle for a few months before I learned to repair it.

In the meantime, one of the games on my visual pinball machine was Stern's Big Game. At first I did not like Big Game very much but it started growing on me.

In November 2015, I located a for real Big Game in Oklahoma City. And then I discovered Pinside. People were talking about these classic Sterns. I paid attention. Now my little house is full of these old Sterns.

And I am having a blast.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/at-what-age-did-you-discover-pinball-and-how?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.