(Topic ID: 235783)

At what age did you discover pinball and how? (Poll added)

By Pinballlew

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Nickrc3
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How old were you when you discovered and became interested in the Silver Ball?”

• Zero to 10 years old 116 votes
      47%
    • 10 to 20 years old 81 votes
      33%
    • 20 to 30 years old 18 votes
      7%
    • 30 to 40 years old 23 votes
      9%
    • 40 to 50 years old 6 votes
      2%
    • 50 to 60 years old 1 vote
    • 60+ 2 votes
      1%

(247 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lucky-leos-seaside-nj-boardwalk-terry-deluco (resized).jpg
    IMG_1791 (resized).JPG
    marx-toy-co-1960s-electric-pinball_1_e05f7e45ae55758079b133b12976e379 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190211-131617 (resized).png
    BB (resized).jpg
    9cf3-f27e-5fea-ae73-a49163a5e948 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I was watching some YouTube videos and have watched a few lectures by Gary Stern. Gary is repeatedly talking about that collectors will die out in the future if games are not discovered by 21 year olds in barcodes and other location pinball places. I have come across occasionally that people say they just discovered pinball thru various ways. Since Pinside is one of the popular places that collectors gather I pose the question. How old were you to become a collector and how did you discover the hobby.

#35 5 years ago

Man so many great stories.

Poll added!

#61 5 years ago

I should share my story. Born in 1972 during the Arcade boom it seemed when I was old enough Pinball was everywhere and so were arcades. 7 eleven’s, laundrymats, arcades, and bowling alleys always had games around. I was hooked at 8. I was attracted to pinball because with skill I could stretch my money by winning free games. This value seemed great to me and occasionally I could earn enough credits to sell 2 or more credits for my quarter back. Essentially playing for free. I had two great arcades with a good line up of pins that were perfectly maintained by the owner/tech. The arcades were named Family Fun Fair and Time Warp, and both were within walking distance from my house in San Luis Obispo. Frontier was the game that I excelled at earning lots of credits Which living in a college town made it easier to sell the credits to college students. I am sure I spent more time living in these arcades then at home.

Well life happens, and I forgot about pinball from 19 to around age 29, until I discovered MAME online which led me to remember my true love of pinball again. The rest is history and I foresee pinball will be in my life forever now.

#64 5 years ago

Just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone missed it...I love all the stories and was wanting more

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/at-what-age-did-you-discover-pinball-and-how?tu=Pinballlew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.