BKHV (resized).jpg
IMG_3582 (resized).JPG
IMG_3534 (resized).JPG
IMG_3533 (resized).JPG
IMG_3532 (resized).JPG
IMG_3531 (resized).JPG
IMG_3528 (resized).JPG
IMG_3529 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taxman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Ok, progress has been made but still more to go.
Today I made a monitor discharge tool, went the screwdriver + 10 100k ohm 1/2 watt resistors in series with a pigtail and alligator clip route. I did this because I read that a direct discharge of the G05-801 monitor is not recommended. I metered the resulting tool and it metered pretty close to 1000k ohms. With the power cord unplugged, I clipped the alligator clip onto the monitor frame and probed around under the suction cup. Never did hear a "snap" like I expected to, but I left the tip in place long enough that I'm guessing the monitor did in fact discharge.
I then removed all connectors from the vector board, reflowed all the header pins and reinstalled the vector board. Powered up and I no longer have a horizontal collapse problem. The ship was very dim though so I turned up the brightness and could then see the ship and the surrounding asteroids. Yeah!
However, another problem can now be seen as shown in the picture below. I don't know if this is a new problem or just a problem that couldn't be seen until the horizontal collapse issue was fixed.
I did some reading in the bw_vector_monitor_faq document and realized the lines could simply be brightness turned up too high. So I did as suggested and turned the brightness down, then up until the image was visible and then adjusted the contrast. The result - a correct looking screen with no extra lines!

Rl;Dr - It is always best to check the monitor is discharged. And a freshly charged one might take a couple of SNAps to discharge fully. But if it sits for a week or two it generally dissipates.

Play with the brightness and contrast to dim the retrace lines. They are always there and are part of a vector monitor drawing. It is how a "Vector" is made. Dot-line-Dot.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taxman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/asteroids-monitor-issue?tu=taxman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.