2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Annie Pin.jpg

#1 2 years ago

Just picked up an Asteroid Annie a couple weeks ago in pretty good shape. Everything seems to work well (bumpers are a little weak but thats work for later). Currently the high score is all garbled and it has the original battery still attached (no corrosion but im debating on replacing the whole board or just adding a new battery pack). My main concern right now is the sound. When i first got the machine there was no sound whatsoever. After leaving it plugged in for about a week (power off just plugged in), when i turn the power on, i get a start up song. After one "round" of this the machine seems to reboot and the song plays again. Only the second time it starts to crackle near the end then stop altogether. There is no sound after this. If i turn the machine off and then back on again, I get no sound. I have to leave it off for a couple hours before it will sound again.

If I interrupt the start up sequence by trying to start a game I get a different sound tune play before it dies. I can never get a ball to fire before the sound dies altogether though.

This is my first system 1 and ive tried searching for issues similar but most people seem to have dead sound boards. This one seems to work, I'm just not sure where to start (MPU, power...?). I havent really had a chance to work on a machine before (usually working on vehicles and renovation type stuff, never full blown electronics) so this is my first dive into fixing something like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Annie Pin.jpgAnnie Pin.jpg
#2 2 years ago

I would check your connectors first . Lower right hand side of driver board and sound board . Power off reset them first if no luck repin the bad ones .

#3 2 years ago

Well, i took them all off and checked them the best that i could. They all seem to be ok. I also pulled the mpu off the backboard just to check the back of it. everything looks ok back there too. The funny thing now is....when i power up, I only get 1 "round" of start up music before it crackles and stops and my high score to date is no longer garbled.

How do you tell if your connectors are bad?

#4 2 years ago

Go to the PinWiki web site
Look up system 1 repair it has a good bit of info on connector repairs. Once you get the bad ones replaced
you could save your self a lot of head aches and order a Pascal all in one board and a new sound board for your AA .
Inkochnito's web sight has the Tech Chart for gottliebs AA which can help you if you don't have a manual

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 16.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/asteroid-annie-only-sound-on-start-up-then-none and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.