(Topic ID: 227838)

Aspects of this hobby.

By orangegsx

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What satifies you the most in this hobby”

• Deal hunting 4 votes
      4%
    • Bringing a machine back to life 39 votes
      41%
    • Playing the machine 52 votes
      55%

(95 votes)

#1 5 years ago

If you take your interest in this hobby and make a pie chart out of it. What aspect is getting the biggest piece. What is the most satifying to you.

I know getting a good deal on a machine, fixing it, and then playing it is three big wins and it feels great but dissect it a little bit. Because a lot of people buy broken machines and put them in storage and that is enough for them to finally own it and get a good deal on it. I almost feel like I have to buy a game with some issues to get the satifaction of going through it and putting some sweat into it.

If you feel anything should be added to the poll post it up...

#2 5 years ago

Man you left out a ton:

- going to shows
    - pontificating on impending bubble bursting
    - complaining about prices
    - arguing about which manufacturer should produce dream theme
    - complaining about CL buyers/sellers not keeping their word

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man you left out a ton:
    - going to shows

Lol! First of all most of the people I have met or dealt with in this hobby are great. We are all trying to have fun and it feels great to help someone do the same.

#4 5 years ago

I'd say 50% restoring, 40% playing, 10% deal hunting (I'd love this to be higher though if you got dealz)

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

If you take your interest in this hobby and make a pie chart out of it. What aspect is getting the biggest piece. What is the most satifying to you.

While I enjoy the refurbishing, playing, and deal hunting -- my time and interest are drawn to Pinside daily and I find it quite satisfying.

#6 5 years ago

My numbers seem to change all the time. As I add more games to my project queue, my desire to work on them decreases. I get overwhelmed, I guess.

Conversely, as more of my games are restored, my desire to play increases.

Deal hunting always ranks high.

Other things I've come to enjoy are tuning/tweaking and modding. If you had asked me the same question ten years ago these would not have been on the list.

Never know....may even see design/production and programming on my list in the future.

#7 5 years ago

I love restoring the mechanical and electrical parts of games, polishing them up, making them work and look great. But it is getting harder and harder for me to find deals where I am. I’ve started getting into super Expensive games, NIB, and I’m finding it’s not quite as fun for me

#8 5 years ago

I've been in this hobby for 30+ years now and still enjoy all aspects of it.
    Buying a NIB machine just isn't a challenge. Finding a fixer-upper in the wild
    for a decent price, taking my time and fixing it up (I do mechanical and SS pins)
    then adding it to my collection and playing it is nervana. Hope this never fades!
    I'll play the new games at shows and maybe even drool over them a bit
    but finding a ratty Gtb sys 1/80 or EM then bringing it back to life is
    a lot more fun for me at least.
    Steve

#9 5 years ago

I like hanging with all my friends at league and tourneys.

I love tinkering, the hunt, and research, but I think the social aspect is my favorite.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man you left out a ton:
    - going to shows

You forgot 'dimple evaluation and discussion '

#11 5 years ago

I wish I had a location near by to meet a few people in the hobby. Sucks living in the boonies!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

I wish I had a location near by to meet a few people in the hobby. Sucks living in the boonies!

Haha! Tell me about it!

#13 5 years ago

I've always enjoyed the thrill of the hunt on any hobby where I collect things. Of course the best part though of any hobby is meeting other people willing to talk about your same interests/hobbies.

#14 5 years ago

For me its about
    A- playing pinball (is that what its not supposed to be about ?)
    B- restoring pins ( i honestly have a blast doing it)
    C-meeting so many great people in the hobby !

#15 5 years ago

-bargain hunting
    -parts scavenging
    -research on history, prototypes, parts, repairs, etc.
    -documenting findings & solutions to problems (on pinwiki)
    -repairing/restoring games
    -repairing circuit boards
    -going to shows
    -hosting your own pinball show
    -playing
    -tournaments
    -helping others with repair issues
    -pinball parties
    -repair parties
    -introducing new players to pinball
    -operating pins on location
    -running a barcade
    -developing mods, developing new products, or reproducing parts
    -designing and building homebrew games
    -designing and building game rooms
    -recording/streaming videos
    -game photography
    -blogging
    -podcasting

I'm sure there's more.

#16 5 years ago

I love it all but you forgot restorations. I guess it all comes back to playing at some point though.

1 week later
    #17 5 years ago

Deal hunting; but seems I never get a ‘great’ deal. Distance is a factor living in Hong Kong. I know I could get better deals if I lived in a ‘pinball rich’ area like Atlanta, Florida, or the NJ/NT/CT/PA/VA area. I can’t make it to shows or jump on the latest CL ad. My purchases are from other trusting Pinsiders who are willing to deal long distance.

#18 5 years ago

Meeting awesome people....hands down.

Oh, and playing!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aspects-of-this-hobby?hl=spinape and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.