2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Jenk540i
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo0_3 (resized).jpg
    20170505_160936 (resized).jpg
    20170505_141403 (resized).jpg
    20170505_160913 (resized).jpg
    20170505_160950 (resized).jpg
    20170505_161043 (resized).jpg
    20170505_161112 (resized).jpg
    20170505_161830 (resized).jpg
    20170505_161835 (resized).jpg
    20170505_161841 (resized).jpg
    20170505_161911 (resized).jpg
    20170505_161918 (resized).jpg
    20170505_162004 (resized).jpg
    20170505_141334 (resized).jpg
    20170505_141328 (resized).jpg
    20170505_141410 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I searched the forum for this, but the most recent posts were about 7 months ago. Has anyone checked out the museum lately? I saw it had very mixed reviews a while back. I've never been myself and was wondering if it's worth the trip. I'd be driving from Knoxville TN.

Screenshot_20170310-162659 (resized).png

#2 2 years ago

As of last week I think JC had nearly 100 machines in stock, he keeps about 40 playable ones in the play areas at all times. It's really hard to get in on a weekend now. Weekends are by far the most crowded. If you go on a Saturday I would recommend being there when it opens, even then you may have to wait, they only let about 40 people in at a time, so then everyone inside can be playing and not waiting.

Don't expect collector quality pins, but for the most part they are working and he typically has a wide assortment.

#3 2 years ago

A buddy of mine was there a couple months back and had a great time. Large selection of pins and he brought me a refrigerator magnet back! I'd definitely check it out if you are in the area.

#4 2 years ago

Awesome!! Thanks for the input guys! I'll have to check it out sometime soon

1 month later
    #5 1 year ago

Just taking a break to get some pizza and wine across the street. Place is great! Games play nice. Lots of classic arcade games too.

20170505_141037 (resized).jpg

20170505_141410 (resized).jpg

20170505_141328 (resized).jpg

20170505_141334 (resized).jpg

#6 1 year ago

Staff was very attentive, though I didn't see even a stuck ball. The games all played nicely. I even enjoyed a few video games like Missile Command and the Star Wars sit in cockpit. The decor was also top notch geek.

20170505_162004 (resized).jpg

20170505_161918 (resized).jpg

20170505_161911 (resized).jpg

20170505_161841 (resized).jpg

20170505_161835 (resized).jpg

20170505_161830 (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

Few more pics

20170505_161112 (resized).jpg

20170505_161043 (resized).jpg

20170505_160950 (resized).jpg

20170505_160913 (resized).jpg

20170505_141403 (resized).jpg

20170505_160936 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

The one problem I found was there seemed to be good looking girls everywhere drinking beers and hogging the games.

photo0_3 (resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago

Very cool place. Was there last November. The coolest bathroom in the world for sure.

2 months later
    #10 1 year ago

I didn't have time to visit the Asheville Pinball Museum during the NNAPT (Nic's North American Pinball Tour)... partly due to rumors over the past few years about the games being in so-so condition. Have they improved?

I'm going to pay them a visit soon. Perhaps in a month or so.

#11 1 year ago

Friends of ours just visited and they had an absolute BLAST. It appeared to be in much better condition than Replay in Tarpon Springs, FL - which is still a GREAT place. APparently Asheville has a lot of video games too. thumbs up

#12 1 year ago

There 2 weeks ago, live nearby so I've been several times. But this was the first time back in over a year.
    Currently the best I've seen it. Sorry, not an EM guy so pretty much ignored them, but TC has a large collection.

More new Sterns than in the past: GB pro, GOT pro, Kiss, MET pro, IM, SM. B/W included CFTBL, FH, STTNG, TZ, FT.
    Plenty of older games: Pinbit, Star Wars, Barbwire, Taxi, etc.

2 back rooms full of the classic video games, a couple of shooter games.
    Conditions of the games were better than ever in the past. Had 3-4 staff constantly circling through the game areas, I notified them of a few issues, mostly they helped take care of stuck balls, etc. STTNG alpha ramp did not register but otherwise everything worked well on the games I played.

As I have advised before I would avoid weekends, but if that's the only option get there at least a half hour before they open. Once the arcade is full they stop entry until players leave, so you could literally wait for hrs. Last time I went on a Wednesday and got there 15 mins before opening, but after about an hour they were full and had a waiting list. They are not open on Tuesday (repairs day). But by controlling the crowds this way you will always have plenty of play options.

Can easily spend 4-5 hours or more there.

9 months later
    #13 1 year ago

I just went to the Asheville Pinball Museum this past Friday (04/20/2018). I wanted to share my opinions about the place and the conditions of the machines.

There was very little people inside, on that Friday afternoon, which gave me a chance to try and play most of the pinball machines. Although there are quite a few old timer video games I have no interest for these and just played a game of Pac-Man to relive the good old times.

The museum has modern pinballs (DMD) and mid-seventies/Early-eighties machines. There are a few mechanical pinballs, too.

Before I say anything else about this location, let me be specific about my expectations: I am a pinball collector, grew up with these machines, have currently four at home in pristine condition and love a challenging game.

Well, the Asheville Pinball Museum does not offer any, or very little of what I was looking for. Very disappointing overall. I only stayed 1.5 hours in it.

Most machines are poorly maintained, with half of the lights burnt or not working. The Bally Eight Ball near the entrance door is almost impossible to play due to the light coming through the door (blinding you) and most of the playfield bulbs not working. Some machines have very weak flippers and one of them was not even working. A lot of the displays (Bally mostly) are weak or shot. They should be replaced by LEDs if no spare can be found.

My biggest issue was the slanting of the pinball machine or to be more precise, the absence of it. I love a fast pinball machine and cannot stand an almost horizontal playfield. In some cases, the ball would barely move especially in the upper part of the playfield. I suppose this is done intentionally to reduce the speed of the game and the wear on the playfield and bumpers.... but how boring....!!!

The Museum allowed me to try a few machines that I was considering purchasing in the future an eliminate a few as well. Silverball Mania would be a good candidate whereas the poor Eight Ball will likely get bumped out of my list. There is an old Gottlieb Buccaneer which has been poorly repainted and is unfortunately not in a very good condition for playing. The Bally Air Aces was a lot more interesting.

Incidentally, there is an article about the Asheville Pinball museum in one of the most recent issue of NC Home magazine and after reading the article, I better understand the essence of the "museum". The owner collects old pinball but no attempt at improving them or repairing them is made. They are all in their original condition....whatever that may mean.

The modern DMD pinball machines are all perfect but they do not present much interest to me and I did not spend much time on them: Listening to a computer generates noises, screeches and screams, while waiting for a ball stuck in some plastic gear, is not what I enjoy doing.

I had the opportunity and pleasure to go to Delray Beach pinball museum and had a blast there. The two places are diagonally opposed and cannot compare.

Yves

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Arcane:

I just went to the Asheville Pinball Museum this past Friday (04/20/2018). I wanted to share my opinions about the place and the conditions of the machines.
    There was very little people inside, on that Friday afternoon, which gave me a chance to try and play most of the pinball machines. Although there are quite a few old timer video games I have no interest for these and just played a game of Pac-Man to relive the good old times.
    The museum has modern pinballs (DMD) and mid-seventies/Early-eighties machines. There are a few mechanical pinballs, too.
    Before I say anything else about this location, let me be specific about my expectations: I am a pinball collector, grew up with these machines, have currently four at home in pristine condition and love a challenging game.
    Well, the Asheville Pinball Museum does not offer any, or very little of what I was looking for. Very disappointing overall. I only stayed 1.5 hours in it.
    Most machines are poorly maintained, with half of the lights burnt or not working. The Bally Eight Ball near the entrance door is almost impossible to play due to the light coming through the door (blinding you) and most of the playfield bulbs not working. Some machines have very weak flippers and one of them was not even working. A lot of the displays (Bally mostly) are weak or shot. They should be replaced by LEDs if no spare can be found.
    My biggest issue was the slanting of the pinball machine or to be more precise, the absence of it. I love a fast pinball machine and cannot stand an almost horizontal playfield. In some cases, the ball would barely move especially in the upper part of the playfield. I suppose this is done intentionally to reduce the speed of the game and the wear on the playfield and bumpers.... but how boring....!!!
    The Museum allowed me to try a few machines that I was considering purchasing in the future an eliminate a few as well. Silverball Mania would be a good candidate whereas the poor Eight Ball will likely get bumped out of my list. There is an old Gottlieb Buccaneer which has been poorly repainted and is unfortunately not in a very good condition for playing. The Bally Air Aces was a lot more interesting.
    Incidentally, there is an article about the Asheville Pinball museum in one of the most recent issue of NC Home magazine and after reading the article, I better understand the essence of the "museum". The owner collects old pinball but no attempt at improving them or repairing them is made. They are all in their original condition....whatever that may mean.
    The modern DMD pinball machines are all perfect but they do not present much interest to me and I did not spend much time on them: Listening to a computer generates noises, screeches and screams, while waiting for a ball stuck in some plastic gear, is not what I enjoy doing.
    I had the opportunity and pleasure to go to Delray Beach pinball museum and had a blast there. The two places are diagonally opposed and cannot compare.
    Yves

Sadly, this is the case with most of these types of locations. The upkeep required on older games is substantially more than newer ones obviously, and many locations can’t staff up to what they would need to make the games “pristine”. It’s more fun when going to set expectations to play a game you don’t see very often, which Asheville -does- have

#15 1 year ago

I was also let down when I went a few months ago, lots of simple things like bulbs needing replacement. Until they actually do repair work, I won't be returning. Sad!

3 months later
    #16 8 months ago

I just saw a blurb on MSNBC about them. it was short and didn't go in to detail, but they're getting press.

#17 8 months ago

I went a few years ago and never went back. I wanted so badly to open a few games and make fixes. One of the machines had a plastic floating around the playfield. The Creature had a dead left flipper. Such a cool place should of had someone roving around making repairs. I'm guessing Wednesdays after they repair the games would be the best time to go.

#18 8 months ago

Sorry to read these recent comments. I live 20 mins from there and go about once a year. The last time I went was a year ago and I was actually impressed with how much the support staff was checking the machines and how well they were maintained. I noticed one switch not working on a STTNG and I pointed it out to the staff and they made a note for the repair guy to fix it.

So these comments really surprise me. Whenever I drive by or walk by it seems to still be quite busy. I know TC opened a second location in Hendersonville a few months ago but I thought he had someone else doing the on site management so that he could stay on site in Asheville.

Hope they get things turned around. Owner is a nice guy and the downtown area has really supported the business.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 219.99
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.25
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    £ 20.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside