rps20170606_214658 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_235902 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_233530 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_215545 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_160904 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_161000 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_230608 (resized).jpg
20170604_175059 (resized).jpg
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
2 weeks later
#202 6 years ago

Wow, awesome. A while back I started working on an Army of Darkness virtual pinball table, but never got around to finishing it. I was thinking about that the other day, and thought "I wonder if anyone ever re-themed a pin to AoD or a new Evil Dead (I had seen that older one linked earlier in this thread)"... then I saw your post in the "game for sale at pintastic" thread and searched this out to see what you were up to. Nice work! I'll be at Pintastic, so if this is there I'll definitely be taking a look. When you're done, any chance you'll toss out the general cost you put into all of this? I may do something like this one day. Clearly a labor of love.

#203 6 years ago

Getting closer but still lots of work to do to finish everything by next week. Tonight I'm working on the backbox board. I'm retaining all the Diner backbox effects, the clock, the bobbleheads, and the jackpot chase lights (they will light up in Ash's chainsaw blade) but the problem is i need to relocate them. So lots of wiring splicing and extending to do.

rps20170626_233827 (resized).jpgrps20170626_233827 (resized).jpg

#204 6 years ago

We have faith in you, you can do it. Sleep is irrelevant. Seriously though, good luck! Hoping to see it there, but we'll completely understand if you run out of time. It's a huge project.

1 week later
#205 6 years ago

Upand running at pintastic new england show. Come check it out.

rps20170707_173519 (resized).jpgrps20170707_173519 (resized).jpg

rps20170707_173628 (resized).jpgrps20170707_173628 (resized).jpg

#206 6 years ago

Argggghhh, I left at 2:30

#207 6 years ago

Night job on the coin door inserts you crafty devil

Added over 7 years ago: Nice job**

#208 6 years ago

Best in Show. That is all.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Upand running at pintastic new england show. Come check it out.

Turned out beautiful! Now let's see some game-play videos!!!!

#210 6 years ago

Amazing job ..played it and loved it . Just happened to be wearing a Necronomicon shirt while i did it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Turned out beautiful! Now let's see some game-play videos!!!!

Fun With Bonus (aka Steven Bowden) posted a couple of short videos via Instagram / Shared on Facebook

#212 6 years ago

from everyone I talked to, you couldn't hear crap in that game hall because everything was so loud.. including trying to hear ash vs evil dead

#213 6 years ago

Saw this at Pintastic and talked to Brian about it for a while. What an incredible work of art this is. It's something I'd never have the balls to undertake and I have all the respect in the world for someone who does. There are some brilliant design choices...simply ingenious ways to make the old new. Wonderful!

#214 6 years ago

Definitely a beautiful pin! Thank you for bringing it to the show!

#215 6 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. It was great to see other people enjoying it. Winning a best custom award was icing on the cake.

It held up pretty well. The biggest problem was a few stuck balls and a broken scoop switch. I totally forgot to look at the game count before the show so I dont know how many plays it got but but seemed to always have someone on it whenever I walked by.

I wish people could have hear the music and callouts better. I actuallly had 2 sound packages, the "G" rated and the "R" rated. If you watch the sound you know there is a lot of "salty" language which makes for excellent calloutswhen you drain. I think I have about 3 dozen different ways of various characters on the show saying f***. I will add an external headphone jack and headphones next time I bring the game to a show.

Looks like it might inspire some future re-themers. I talked to a couple guys at the show who now want to do their own rethemes. Maybe we'll see those next year at pintastic.

I was pretty lax in documenting my progress the last few weeks as I just didn't have time. I'll catch up on it in the next few weeks. I also need to finish some things that didnt get done in time for the show. I have the Tommy blinders installed under the apron but they dont work yet. I also still need to "animate" the logo on the tranlite using the clock mechanism. The sound package could use a little more tweaking as well.

I didnt get any video of the game in action but here are some links of others who did.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQ_W7pABqt/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWRAUDOgs-z/

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Thanks for all the kind words. It was great to see other people enjoying it. Winning a best custom award was icing on the cake.
It held up pretty well. The biggest problem was a few stuck balls and a broken scoop switch. I totally forgot to look at the game count before the show so I dont know how many plays it got but but seemed to always have someone on it whenever I walked by.
I wish people could have hear the music and callouts better. I actuallly had 2 sound packages, the "G" rated and the "R" rated. If you watch the sound you know there is a lot of "salty" language which makes for excellent calloutswhen you drain. I think I have about 3 dozen different ways of various characters on the show saying f***. I will add an external headphone jack and headphones next time I bring the game to a show.
Looks like it might inspire some future re-themers. I talked to a couple guys at the show who now want to do their own rethemes. Maybe we'll see those next year at pintastic.
I was pretty lax in documenting my progress the last few weeks as I just didn't have time. I'll catch up on it in the next few weeks. I also need to finish some things that didnt get done in time for the show. I have the Tommy blinders installed under the apron but they dont work yet. I also still need to "animate" the logo on the tranlite using the clock mechanism. The sound package could use a little more tweaking as well.
I didnt get any video of the game in action but here are some links of others who did.
» YouTube video
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQ_W7pABqt/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWRAUDOgs-z/

Cool docquest... and congrats for the award!!!

Maybe you could shoot some more videos when you get the pin back home

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Cool docquest... and congrats for the award!!!
Maybe you could shoot some more videos when you get the pin back home

I was planning doing some videos on how I did the backbox jackpot lighting and the tommy blinders once they are fully operational.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Best in Show. That is all.

Absolutely!
Overall best pin at the show

docquest It was nice talking with you about the table and ED/Bruce stuff in general (I was the guy in the Army of Darkness shirt near Coin Taker)
Wish you the best with finishing your masterpiece.

#219 6 years ago

docquest your machine is just awesome! Great re-theme and thank you for bringing to Pintastic. It had to have gotten 2000 plays or more. Everyone around it was siked to play it.
-Mike

#220 6 years ago

Bruce Campbell fans can see him in person if you are near one of the cities he'll be visiting for his book tour next month. More details at http://www.bruce-campbell.com/

book-tour3-2017 (resized).jpgbook-tour3-2017 (resized).jpg

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Also got the speaker panel done. I added some blood splatter to the grills. Can't have too much blood on this theme.

Should have been "Shop Smart - Shop S-Mart" instead.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Should have been "Shop Smart - Shop S-Mart" instead.

S-Mart was the store Ash worked at in Army of Darkness.

This machine is based on the TV show Ash vs Evil Dead which takes place 30 years later. Ash now works at Value Stop (well for the first episode anyways).

9bFMg_xr (resized).jpg9bFMg_xr (resized).jpg

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

S-Mart was the store Ash worked at in Army of Darkness.
This machine is based on the TV show Ash vs Evil Dead which takes place 30 years later. Ash now works at Value Stop (well for the first episode anyways).

But the S-Mart quote is one of the main quotes of the movie series, so it'll fit right in with the ones who know them.

2 months later
#224 6 years ago

Just for fun!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#225 6 years ago

Are there any good shots of the finished product? Playfield, etc? Seems like just bits and pieces....

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Are there any good shots of the finished product? Playfield, etc? Seems like just bits and pieces....

I havent set the machine back up yet since the pintastic show. Got a little burned out on it getting it show worthy for pintastic. I'd say its about 80% complete at this point. I'll get back into it this winter. I'll take better pics and vids when its 100%.

Kinda bummed the Ash Vs Evil Dead season 3 premier got pushed from this fall to Feb next year. People who saw the season 3 premier episode at NYCCC last weekend gave it high marks.

I got a new apron card from when I went to the Bruce Campbell book signing. He told me he wouldnt sue me for making an unauthorized pinball machine.

rps20171010_223904 (resized).jpgrps20171010_223904 (resized).jpg

#227 6 years ago

Great job on the game. I saw it at Pintastic and didn't realize until today it was you that made it!!

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I got a new apron card from when I went to the Bruce Campbell book signing. He told me he wouldnt sue me for making an unauthorized pinball machine.

Amazing!!!

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

LOL- I don't think he can... considered fan art as long as it's for you personally.
Maybe "in theory" he could sue you for likeness... but again; I think this falls under fair-use, fan art.
You are safe as long as you don't sell it... or make more than one. (At least this is my Holiday Inn understanding of Fair Use)

I'm assuming he was just kidding with you anyway...

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

LOL- I don't think he can... considered fan art as long as it's for you personally.
Maybe "in theory" he could sue you for likeness... but again; I think this falls under fair-use, fan art.
You are safe as long as you don't sell it... or make more than one. (At least this is my Holiday Inn understanding of Fair Use)
I'm assuming he was just kidding with you anyway...

Yes his tongue was firmly in cheek when he said it.

4 months later
#231 6 years ago

my god, this is amazing. You did a fantastic job.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

my god, this is amazing. You did a fantastic job.

Thanks. I'm patiently waiting for the pinsound guys to release their hardware controller to drive mods off if sound callout triggers.

Season 3 just started last week and first episode was great. I'll be grabbing any funny quotes from this season to add to the game.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Thanks. I'm patiently waiting for the pinsound guys to release their hardware controller to drive mods off if sound callout triggers.
Season 3 just started last week and first episode was great. I'll be grabbing any funny quotes from this season to add to the game.

4 months later
#234 5 years ago

Thank you for making this available at pintastic. I'm a big Evil Dead fan and this was an amazingly well done machine. The single longest play times per ball I have ever had. The ball refused to drain it seemed and was great fun.

#235 5 years ago

It's really fun and looks great! I appreciate the time and effort it took.

Plus, I put my initials up on it Friday night, haha.

1 year later
#236 3 years ago

Hey man, do you need some Ash toys for your playfield? These were just released. Saw them & thought of your game. Groovy!

https://super7.com/collections/army-of-darkness

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Ok. Thanks for ht heads up. Guess I'll have to see what is available. Was this Showtime, HBO, or Skin-a-max... I forget.

#238 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Ok. Thanks for ht heads up. Guess I'll have to see what is available. Was this Showtime, HBO, or Skin-a-max... I forget.

Holy thread ressurection!
Your response was to a post I made over 2 years old.

The series was on Starz originally but I think all 3 seasons are now on Netflix.
You can also get the bluray/DVD sets.
They have some pretty funny commentaries by Bruce and his fellow demon slayers on them.
Season 3 wasn't the best but still pretty good. The last few minutes of the final episode were awesome.

#239 3 years ago

Sorry... I didn't even look to see if the comment was from "necro" post.
pretty sure I've watched all the seasons... I assume 3 was it. I forget how it ended; may have to go re-watch the ?series? finale.

3 months later
#240 3 years ago

Just curious, did you ever get the tommy blinders to work or did it become not worth the hassle?

2 years later
#241 1 year ago

I can’t any top down full playfield pics of this, could you post some please?

#242 1 year ago

Is there gameplay video of it where the sound is good/audible?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ash-vs-evil-dead-retheme-project-from-diners-to-deadites/page/5?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.