rps20170606_214658 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_235902 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_233530 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_215545 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_160904 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_161000 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_230608 (resized).jpg
20170604_175059 (resized).jpg
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 7 years ago

Use the gun shooter from Jurassic Park and call it the Boom Stick.

Following!

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Sound wouldn't be that bad for you to redo since you have the mp3 trigger it would just be new files on a new sd card. However stripping down the playfield would be a lot of work. What sort of themes were you thinking about?

Eh, it wouldn't be so bad, especially compared to building it in the first place. Only the parts on the top side would need to be removed to peel off the overlay and apply a new one. I was thinking about retheming to Friday the 13th or some other classic horror theme that is less likely to be mass produced in the future, but who knows if I'll ever actually do it. Maybe if I decide that Stern GB is a real long-term keeper, just to mix things up.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Eh, it wouldn't be so bad, especially compared to building it in the first place. Only the parts on the top side would need to be removed to peel off the overlay and apply a new one. I was thinking about retheming to Friday the 13th or some other classic horror theme that is less likely to be mass produced in the future, but who knows if I'll ever actually do it. Maybe if I decide that Stern GB is a real long-term keeper, just to mix things up.

Friday the 13'th would ve great. Lots of material there with so many movies made.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Use the gun shooter from Jurassic Park and call it the Boom Stick.
Following!

I was trying to figure out how to make the shooter rod look like a shotgun but think it would be too long and look weird.

I really like how the shooter assembly in the custom buffy game looks like a wooden stake.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I was trying to figure out how to make the shooter rod look like a shotgun but think it would be too long and look weird.

I really like how the shooter assembly in the custom buffy game looks like a wooden stake

Maybe put the stock outside the cabinet and the barrel up the shooter lane

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

No info, just seems like a hot IP right now.

raw (resized).pngraw (resized).png

#57 7 years ago

Good place to make more people aware of :

The Walking Dead To Evil Dead 2 Sound Conversion

Great project OP.

#58 7 years ago

Got my armor package back this week. It looks even better in person. I was originally going to just use a solid "blood red" color but decided to go with the two tone look instead. I think it looks more blood spattered which certainly fits the theme of the show. Big thanks to Ron at http://pinballplatingandmore.com/ the cost was resonable and turnaround time was really quick. Can't wait until my cab is ready to install them.

8fddad9c31f143863e8a484ebc602257cd15f9b2 (resized).jpg8fddad9c31f143863e8a484ebc602257cd15f9b2 (resized).jpg

1f7c7cc673db7115ce84b366323c638e80f163f4 (resized).jpg1f7c7cc673db7115ce84b366323c638e80f163f4 (resized).jpg

7bdf15fefad0ec1308a598c6c1080af61ffac6fe (resized).jpg7bdf15fefad0ec1308a598c6c1080af61ffac6fe (resized).jpg

#59 7 years ago

that armor is lookin sick!!! cant wait for more on this! just out of curiosity, why did you choose ash vs. evil dead rather than AOD or just the evil dead franchise as a whole?

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

just out of curiosity, why did you choose ash vs. evil dead rather than AOD or just the evil dead franchise as a whole?

I love the original movies, but I like the Starz show the most. I think it has the perfect balance between horror, comedy, suspense, and over the top gore effects. One of the few shows you can watch and afterwards say, i can't beleive they actually did that. If younsaw the episode in theorgue you know exactly what I'm talking about. I thought season 1 was great and season 2 is even better. Lots and lots of funny call out material from the show to choose from.

Plus the source music for the show is much more varied than the original orchestral score in the films. I'll be using most of the 70's era detroit rock music from the show as the soundtrack.

A few of my kids are into the show as well so they have been giving me ideas and suggestions on what they would like to see in it as well.

Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

that armor is lookin sick!!!

I decided to switch to the two color powder coat look after seeing the custom Doom machine at expo. That is one sweat looking game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doom-custom-pinball-machine

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I decided to switch to the two color powder coat look after seeing the custom Doom machine at expo. That is one sweat looking game.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doom-custom-pinball-machine

Thank You for the compliment on Doom. Looks like you picked the same colors I used. You wont be disappointed

#62 7 years ago

It's a wicked show and a wicked theme. A couple of my best mates work on the show here in NZ.

I got told some great stories about Bruce Campbell. He's supposed to be a cool bloke

He smokes copious amounts of ganja and got my mate to get him an ounce

Also, you remember the scene in the diner when they have the fights with the deadite waitress and others?

The fight choreographer said that when he takes on the waitress to grab her and do this and block that XYZ and Bruce Campbell turned around and said in character "Ash wouldn't do that, he'd just smash her in the face over and over with his metal spiked hand"

It stayed in the episode

#63 7 years ago

I'm a big fan of back box animation on games. The clock back box animation in the current Diner game is pretty neat so I want to incorporate it into my translite design.

To those unfamiliar with it here’s how the current Diner clock works.There is a circular hole in the translite that allows you to see a rotating clock mechanism in the back box. Each hour on the clock corresponds to the number of millions collected in the “DineTime” jackpot. You advance the clock and add to the jackpot by accomplishing certain tasks during the game. As you advance the jackpot the clock physically rotates and points to the current jackpot amount (3 o’clock is a 3 million jackpot, 8 o’clock is 8 million jackpot, etc. Once you finish serving all 5 customers the “DineTime” insert will lit and you have a short amount of time to shoot the ball into the upper left saucer to collect the current jackpot value.

diner translite (resized).jpgdiner translite (resized).jpg

diner clock (resized).jpgdiner clock (resized).jpg

diner backboard (resized).jpgdiner backboard (resized).jpg

#64 7 years ago

When I was originally planning my Batman66 retheme, I wanted the clock to become the bat signal being projected into the sky. The center of the clock face would become the bat signal image while the outer rim of the clock face would contain numbers 1 through 12. I would need to have circular window in the translite to let the bat signal mage show through. I would also need a second small window in the translite for the numbers indicating the the jackpot value to to show through. As jackpot increased during game play the signal would rotate and the jackpot value would increase as the clock face turned. The gif below shows a mock-up of what I was thinking.

0ca0e7c91e13b9ecded0deaaa6e48117651bfdf3.gif0ca0e7c91e13b9ecded0deaaa6e48117651bfdf3.gif

#65 7 years ago

For my Ash vs Evil Dead retheme I wasn't sure how to use a clock. In the original fims there was a grandfather clock in the cabin that was often shown. However its not really a central part of the series. Since this feature would be front and center on the translite I wanted it to fit the theme really well. During the opening of each episode there ther eis some horrific death scene followed by a large splash of blood that covers the entire screen which then drips away to show the Ash vs Evil Dead logo in white ands blood red. See video below.

#66 7 years ago

For my idea I was thinking about putting a white/red type of graphic on the clock face, kinda ying/yang style. then my translite has the Ash vs Evil Dead logo cut out in front of this so he red/white disc can be seen through the letters of the logo. As the clock turns it will look like blood is rolling over the logo. I think I will need to make the actual clock face bigger though so the log is a decent size but I think there is room.

translite layers (resized).jpgtranslite layers (resized).jpg

aed_test3.gifaed_test3.gif

#67 7 years ago

Now that Pablo is dead (or not?), what would you think about a translite with just Ashy Slashy?

#68 7 years ago

I love it

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Now that Pablo is dead (or not?), what would you think about a translite with just Ashy Slashy?

I bet Pablo comes back. I've hear thr bext episode involves some time travel so.if thats true than anything is possible.

That translite image shown in the earlier post is just a placeholder for now. Still deciding final art for that. Maybe I can fit the ash puppet in there somewhere.

ash-vs-evil-dead-puppet.gifash-vs-evil-dead-puppet.gif

#70 7 years ago

Now this is cool!

ash-vs-evil-dead-season-2-poster1 (resized).jpgash-vs-evil-dead-season-2-poster1 (resized).jpg

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Now this is cool!

Coincidently thats the poster i was thinking about re-compositing to fit the translite aspect ratio.

#72 7 years ago

Why not have a deadites killed "clock" / "jackpot"?

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Why not have a deadites killed "clock" / "jackpot"?

Quoted from docquest:

For my idea I was thinking about putting a white/red type of graphic on the clock face, kinda ying/yang style. then my translite has the Ash vs Evil Dead logo cut out in front of this so he red/white disc can be seen through the letters of the logo. As the clock turns it will look like blood is rolling over the logo. I think I will need to make the actual clock face bigger though so the log is a decent size but I think there is room.

Seems like if you did the blood/logo-thing that you'd loose the contextual indicator of what the bonus is. Like Zitt mentioned, it seems like you could incorporate a Deadite bonus or something. I don't know if there is enough material from the show yet to do twelve deadites around the "clock" perimeter, but that'd fit the theme and make use of the "clock" bonus mechanism.....? If not you could pull some images from the movies if you were so inclined. Perhaps use the dagger from the show as the "clock hand?" Just spit-balling..

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Seems like if you did the blood/logo-thing that you'd loose the contextual indicator of what the bonus is. Like Zitt mentioned, it seems like you could incorporate a Deadite bonus or something. I don't know if there is enough material from the show yet to do twelve deadites around the "clock" perimeter, but that'd fit the theme and make use of the "clock" bonus mechanism.....? If not you could pull some images from the movies if you were so inclined. Perhaps use the dagger from the show as the "clock hand?" Just spit-balling..

I already have 6 deadites on the playfield. There is one for each of 6 drop targets. So it might be confusing to also have the clock represent deadites as well.

I could just keep it simple and call it the jackpot value?

There is also a set of 12 lights that go around the clock. As the clock moves the light next to each number will blink. I think i can just relocate those lights in another area of the translite and use them to indicate the jackpot value. Sort of like a gas gauge that will light up as the value increases. Kinda like the thermometer in centigrade 37. Also those lights do a light show every now and then (various chase patterns) so it would look cool to keep them in play.

So I could have 2 backbox animations, the animated blood flowing over the logo and a jackpot "gas gauge" style indicator.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I already have 6 deadites on the playfield. There is one for each of 6 drop targets. So it might be confusing to also have the clock represent deadites as well.
I could just keep it simple and call it the jackpot value?

Well; I was honestly thinking it's a cumulative jackpot... IE eachtime a deadite is killed... the jackpot increments... or maybe each time a set of deadites is killed; then you increase the jackpot.

#76 7 years ago

Shooter rod....
T-Pull cord on a chainsaw built into the cab. And right flipper button is also part of it.
Or a Double barrel shooter lane with STNG gun modified with stalk to look like shotgun.

It's what I had planned for my Evil Dead retheme. But never got to it.

I was also once thinking that you would actually have to put your hand inside a prop chainsaw on the left with the flipper button hidden inside it.

Good luck with this project.

#77 7 years ago

Holy crap this is.......................spectacular!!!
Dream theme for me!
Yo! She bitch.........let's dance.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I bet Pablo comes back. I've hear thr bext episode involves some time travel so.if thats true than anything is possible.
That translite image shown in the earlier post is just a placeholder for now. Still deciding final art for that. Maybe I can fit the ash puppet in there somewhere.

That episode was so good. The Ash puppet was beyond hillarious.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

No info, just seems like a hot IP right now.

If Spooky or somebody else uses the license, just keep doing your retheme. What is the issue? Why did you stop doing your batman 66 retheme? Not like you are going to be able to sell someone else's IP to a third party pinball company to manufacture or anything. Or, is that your intent for doing a retheme?

#80 7 years ago

Maybe he thought bm66 was a good title and has one on order?

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

If Spooky or somebody else uses the license, just keep doing your retheme. What is the issue? Why did you stop doing your batman 66 retheme? Not like you are going to be able to sell someone else's IP to a third party pinball company to manufacture or anything. Or, is that your intent for doing a retheme?

Quoted from Zitt:

Maybe he thought bm66 was a good title and has one on order?

I do have a Stern Batman66 on order. This is a dream theme for me so once I saw that it had dual LCD's, code by lyman, and art by Chris Franchi I knew I wanted one. I also love the crane toy in BDK so I'm glad they keep that toy in the game.

Since I'm getting a Stern Batman66 I didnt want to have two such similar machines in my small collection.

Luckily I was a point in my batman re-theme that changing the theme to ash vs evil wasn't that big of a big deal. If Spooky or some else makes an evil dead game I'll still be moving forward with this one.

I've been a Chris Franchi fan for a while and the entrance to my home theater game room has a signed limited edition poster he did a few years ago, its #8 out of 66. Over the last couple of years I've also acquired signatures from Adam West, Burt Ward, Lee Merriweather, and Julie Newmar. I know Julie wasn't in the 66 movie but I had her sign it anyways because she is freaking awesome.

20161130_084537 (resized).jpg20161130_084537 (resized).jpg

#82 7 years ago

nice. damn good reason to not retheme for bm66. Looking forward to seeing your evil dead one.

2 weeks later
#83 7 years ago

The season finale of ash vs evil dead was great. Im tweaking some of the art im using based off of what was in that final episode. It was nice to see Ted Raimi getting to play Henrietta once again. Its going to be a long wait for season 3.

I'm just about done with my playfield art. Just need to make another test print to make sure all the inserts still line up. Once that checks out ill get the overlay printed and start assembing the playfield over xmas break.

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

#84 7 years ago

That was the season finale? Crap, not sure I can wait that long!

#85 7 years ago

Playfield art has gone to the printers. While I wait for it to get printed I'll start cleaning up all the playfield hardware and wiring so its ready for re-assembly. Here's a sneak peak.

ash_clip3 (resized).jpgash_clip3 (resized).jpg

#86 7 years ago

Jacksonville. Nice.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Jacksonville. Nice.

In the original Diner, the DineTime Jackpot amount equals whatever time is on the backglass clock so it increases from 1 to 12 million as you do stuff in the game.

I wasnt sure how to rework that for my Ash vs Evil Dead theme but then I realized that Jacksonville has 12 letters. Jacksonville is also Ash's goal in season 1. He wants to defeat the forces of evil then retire to Jacksonville. So it seemed to make sense to have Jacksonville represent the jackpot goal so I put the Jacksonville postcard from the show right next to the collect jackpot arrow on the playfiled.

I'll probably use a gas guage type graphic in my translite that sequentially lights up between 1 to 12 million while also lighting up the 12 letters of Jacksonville.

#88 7 years ago

I know there's no action in this shot but it just seems like it would look good as the cab side art. Just need to add the "Ash vs Evil Dead" logo to it.

large ash8 (resized).jpglarge ash8 (resized).jpg

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I know there's no action in this shot but it just seems like it would look good as the cab side art. Just need to add the "Ash vs Evil Dead" logo to it.

Doc, I really liked the outfit Ash wore at the Asylum when he was possessed... What do you think about using one of those shots?

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Doc, I really liked the outfit Ash wore at the Asylum when he was possessed... What do you think about using one of those shots?

you mean one of these 2?

ash_asylum (resized).jpgash_asylum (resized).jpg

ash_asylum3 (resized).jpgash_asylum3 (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

you mean one of these 2?

Yeah, what do you think?

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yeah, what do you think?

He looks pretty bad ass in both of those.

The first one has the right layout for a cabinet side panel and the second would be better as a backbox side.

I could have one cab side be the badass side and the other side be the quiet side of ash pondering life at the diner.

1 week later
#93 7 years ago

Time for my overdue Ash vs Evil Dead update.Had some good news and bad news. But the bad new might actually end up being good news.

Overlay was finally delivered over the holidays. I was all excited to get it installed until I opened the package and took a look. It looks like there was something going on with their printer which caused a vertical motion artifact in the form of repeating stripes.

The image below shows the pop bumper area. It compares the printed overlay (top striped image) with the digital input file (bottom smooth image) for that area. The picture I took of the overly made the color difference much worse than it actually is. Blues are hard to match. The overlay is definitely a little more purple than the input file but I think I like the more purpley shade than straight blue.

overlay_stripes2 (resized).jpgoverlay_stripes2 (resized).jpg

I also noticed that the image was about 3/8" too short. That may not sound like a lot over 39" but its enough to make all the clear insert areas not line up with the playfield inserts by quite a bit. I saw a similar issue when I did black and white test prints of the overlay at staples before printing on the vinyl. I noticed that the exact same image file printed at different staples produced slightly different prints. I always instructed them to print it at 100%, no scaling, but the final length varied slightly from one staples printer to another. They used the same printer models so I'm assuming its just a printer to printer variance. I made the insert borders a little thicker than initially so I'd have a little more wiggle room trying to line things up.

I guess the silver lining of all of this is I now know how much the images length need to be tweaked so it comes out the exact desired length on the vinyl printer. I sent the revised length image file are they are going to print it again free of charge. So even though its a pain in the butt to wait some more, their stripe artifact has given me another chance to tweak the length without having to pay for another print.

Keeping my fingers crossed this one comes out perfect. In the mean time I'm going through all the stuff on the bottom harness, cleaning it up and getting it ready to re-install on the playfield.

1 week later
#94 7 years ago

OT (kinda): Pay only for shipping... Too good to be true !?!?!

https://vintagily.com/collections/led-sign/products/the-evil-dead-led-sign?variant=35176181706

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It looks like there was something going on with their printer which caused a vertical motion artifact in the form of repeating stripes.

For sure it looks as if their heads are out of alignment or clogged nozzle on the head. In addition when you created the artwork did you send them the image as a RGB file or did you happen to convert it to CMYK then send it? I ask because most large format printers reproduce CMYK almost exactly as the vector art is displayed where RGB has some major differences when it prints.

#96 7 years ago

Shipping is about $25 , so you pay for a product . This is as bad as the Massachusetts people selling plastic bags with free weed inside.

#97 7 years ago

Sorry I've been spotty on my updates for those following the thread. I got a little side tracked with a DIY Batman66 Batsignal mod thread I started. Check it out here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-batsignal-mod-tutorial-for-batman66

I got my replacement overlay and it looks much better than the first print. The banding is gone and the size is spot on. I will update with more details and pics later tonight or tomorrow.

overlay_old_vs_new (resized).jpgoverlay_old_vs_new (resized).jpg

#98 7 years ago

I forgot to document an aspect of my re-theme that I think is worthwhile to go over. There may be others who run into a similar situation on their re-theme projects.

On the original Diner game there are 5 large rectangular inserts in the center of the playfield. These spell the word D-I-N-E-R. After you spell DINER then you had access to the coffee cup on the right ramp for big points.

center_insert (resized).jpgcenter_insert (resized).jpg

diner_letters (resized).jpgdiner_letters (resized).jpg

#99 7 years ago

When I was originally going to re-theme this as a Batman 66 game I had art that made those inserts look like Joker playing cards. You had to spell J-O-K-E-R to enter the coffee cup (changed to the villain’s lair).

bman_joker_cards (resized).jpgbman_joker_cards (resized).jpg

#100 7 years ago

However, for Ash vs Evil Dead I wanted to go a different direction with the art. The coffee cup on the re-theme is now the cabin. I could have had the center inserts spell C-A-B-I-N but I wanted a big picture of Ash in the center and putting large letters for CABIN there just didn't look right.

So my idea was the swap the location of the 5 cabin lights with the 3 lights that light with the top rollovers. On DINER the top 3 rollovers spelled E-A-T. The lights for EAT are just above the coffee cup on Diner.

diner_eat_lanes (resized).jpgdiner_eat_lanes (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ash-vs-evil-dead-retheme-project-from-diners-to-deadites/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.