rps20170606_214658 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_235902 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_233530 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_215545 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_160904 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_161000 (resized).jpg
rps20170606_230608 (resized).jpg
20170604_175059 (resized).jpg
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 years ago

Ok so I was making a Batman 66 re-themed pinball machine see my original thread here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-retheme-project-from-diner-to-caped-crusader

When I choose that theme I thought what are the chances that Stern, JJP, Heighway, or Spooky would choose this 50 year old TV show for a new game. When I initially told people about my re-theme some people thought it was a a great idea others seemed perplexed that I would pick such an old, campy, goofy, theme. So I was surprised that a major pinball manufacturer would pick it for a theme. I heard rumors of Stern doing a vault edition of the Batman the Dark Knight but I assumed it would be similar to the Spiderman vault game and switch form the movie version of Batman to a more timeless comic book version. I saw the new Batman 66 game at at Expo and though Stern did a great job with the theme integration and I love the artist they choose. I like it enough I decided to buy one so now I need another theme for my re-theme project.

The original reason I started the re-theme project wasn't just because I wanted a Batman 66 game. It was to try another aspect of the pinball hobby by re-theming a game, making a new art package, putting together a new sound package, and adding cool interactive game play mods to a game. I'm still dong this but I'll just use another theme instead of Batman 66.

My new theme needs to meet the following requirements, be a theme I enjoy, is funny enough to have lots of good call outs and insulting phrases when you screw up, and it also has to have great music for the soundtrack. Batman met all those requirements easily but what else could replace it?

Ash vs The Evil Dead easily met all those requirements for me. The show is even more over the top with it's humor and gore campiness in season 2 than it was in season 1. It's definitely more comedy than horror but when it wants to scary its does a good job at that to. The one part I wasn't sure of initially was the music. However, as I watched more of it I saw it used a lot of great 70's and 80's era rock music. Great stuff from, amboy dukes, deep purple, alice cooper, ac/dc, Styx, motorhead, whitesnake, etc.

The most important part of choosing a game to use as a donor game is that it has to have a great layout and rule set. I thought about creating my own layout and rules instead of using an existing game but I didn't feel confident enough to tackle that challenge. Maybe as a future project.

As I was going over the Diner Layout to see how I would adapt from Batman to Ash vs The Evil Dead, I realized that Diner is a great game for a re-theme. Diner doesn't have a very deep rule set but it's easy for beginners to figure out but still challenging enough for experienced players. The main objective of hitting the 6 drop targets to serve a customer is easily adaptable to almost any theme. In this case the 5 customers become members of Ash's team of deadite fighters. One of the jokes from the show is when they try and find a good name for their team and Pablo suggests "The Ghost Beaters". So the five customer will represent the five Ghost Beaters. To light/complete each one of the Ghost Beaters you need to kill the 6 deadites (the drop targets). Once the whole team is lit is when you can score the big jackpot.

The other main objective in Diner is to get into the coffee cup to "stir the cup". The last 3 episodes of the TV show all take place in one of the iconic set from the previous Evil Dead movies, the cabin. So the coffee cup is the perfect toy to represent the cabin. Instead of spelling D-I-N-E-R to enter the cup you spell C-A-B-I-N to enter the cabin and fight evil for more big points.

Here's my ideas for the other shots in the game. Its still a work in progress so there will probably be changes along the way. As with my other project I welcome all feedback, good or bad.

aed_shots (resized).jpgaed_shots (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I'm at the stage now where I'm collecting source images to incorporate into my art package. My playfield has had all of the inserts replaced with clear or white inserts so the text can easily be read on them and I can decide what color I want each of them to be via RGB LED's. I'm also collecting music that is featured in the show as well as ripping the audio from the season 1 DVD's to use for my call outs. I'll be updating the thread as I make progress throughout the project. Stay tuned.

#3 7 years ago

Evil dead rocks! Looking forward to seeing this.

#4 7 years ago

#5 7 years ago

I'm excited to see this also....dream theme for me.

#6 7 years ago

FAVORITED....for all the reasons above

#7 7 years ago

Based on my past theme picking ability we can all assume that Spooky Pinball will probably announce that their next game will be based on Evil Dead as well. So you're welcome.

#8 7 years ago

What are you going to do when spooky reveals an evil dead theme?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Based on my past theme picking ability we can all assume that Spooky Pinball will probably announce that their next game will be based on Evil Dead as well. So you're welcome.

Let me be the 1st....thank you!!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

What are you going to do when spooky reveals an evil dead theme?

Sis yoy mean to say "if" instead of "when"? Or do you know something?

When I stopped my Batman it was just before I was ready to put the final overlay down. Once I do that with Ash vs Evil Dead I'll be at the point of no return. So unless they announce within the next month or two I'll probably be at that point.

#11 7 years ago

Watching last week's episode I kept thinking what a good pin this theme would make. El Jefe multiball!

#12 7 years ago

I love the Evil Dead. Getting ready to watch a mini marathon in preparation for Halloween.

Do you have plan yet for the back-glass dinner clock in your re-theme?

#13 7 years ago

while you're focusing specifically on "ash vs evil dead", can I suggest you still pull some quotes from army of darkness? At the very least incorporate "boomstick" and "Shop smart, Shop.. S-mart!"

#14 7 years ago

im in...

#15 7 years ago

Gimme some sugar baby!

#17 7 years ago

Someone's gotta say it.........."Grooooooovvvvvy!"

#18 7 years ago

Hail to the king, baby.

#19 7 years ago

The original movies are great, the remake is awesome, and the series are now kicking ass.... Take a look at the hit it rich virtual slot... Maybe you get some ideas from it....

#20 7 years ago

While I'm sure yours will be better. This was done once.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Do you have plan yet for the back-glass dinner clock in your re-theme?

Yes, i want to keep the backglass animation in some form.

Not sure what ill do yet. Here was my Batman version of it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-retheme-project-from-diner-to-caped-crusader/page/2#post-3176595

#22 7 years ago

Can you put a pendulum on the clock that just freezes when something is about to happen?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

while you're focusing specifically on "ash vs evil dead", can I suggest you still pull some quotes from army of darkness? At the very least incorporate "boomstick" and "Shop smart, Shop.. S-mart!"
» YouTube video

Yes great quotes there. I have the audio from all the movues already ripped. They have also used some of his classic quotes in the series.
He now works at value stop instead if S-mart. Here"s why:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3357283/doesnt-ash-work-s-mart-ash-vs-evil-dead/

That being said, I thought they showed a clip of the Delta falling from the sky in the episode where it was stolen. It was in the romantic musical montage where Ash was dreaming about the Delta and they showed a bunch of clips from the movies with him and the car.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

The original movies are great, the remake is awesome, and the series are now kicking ass.... Take a look at the hit it rich virtual slot... Maybe you get some ideas from it....

What is this hit it rich virtual slot that you speak of?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

While I'm sure yours will be better. This was done once.
» YouTube video

Ive seen that pin on pinside but never in person. It looks awesome. Maybe at a future show someday.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Ive seen that pin on pinside but never in person. It looks awesome. Maybe at a future show someday.

If I remember it sold a couple of years ago and not for very much for a 1 off (I'm thinking $2.3K). I don't know if it does not look as good in person or it is because it was based on Hollywood Heat (yuk, and I won a league game on one last night)

#27 7 years ago

Evil Dead is my #1 theme I hope to see from Stern. Hope they make it 2/2 with your themes.

#28 7 years ago

Evil Dead 2 is the greatest movie of all time. What a great theme!

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not to jinx you, but i hope you're right

Don't know why nearly all of my dream-themes have been popping up as homebrew machines recently, but I'll gladly add this to my must-watch list too. Very excited to see what you come up with. Lots of great material with Ash.

#30 7 years ago

Groovy

#31 7 years ago

Evil dead and pinball go great together, looking forward to seeing it!

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

What is this hit it rich virtual slot that you speak of?

#33 7 years ago

Evil-Dead-Poster (resized).jpegEvil-Dead-Poster (resized).jpeg

Evil-Dead-poster-2 (resized).jpgEvil-Dead-poster-2 (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

That being said, I thought they showed a clip of the Delta falling from the sky in the episode where it was stolen. It was in the romantic musical montage where Ash was dreaming about the Delta and they showed a bunch of clips from the movies with him and the car.

You are correct, they did show this; but, they used the footage from the end of Evil Dead 2.

#35 7 years ago

Great theme! Ash vs Evil Dead is a must watch for any horror fan. Looking forward to your updates.

#36 7 years ago

Awesome theme choice. Some of the greatest films ever made. I wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up being a real production theme in the future, though. Funny how the Batman '66 license was used right as you were making your re-theme, right? I made the custom Ghostbusters from Flash Gordon re-theme a few years ago and then Stern puts out a Ghostbusters pin! Heck, they also put out AC/DC shortly after another enthusiast made a re-theme of that. I'm starting to think they actually get ideas from this stuff...

I'm thinking of maybe re-theming my re-theme into something else once I get GB Premium.

#37 7 years ago

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Awesome theme choice. Some of the greatest films ever made. I wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up being a real production theme in the future, though. Funny how the Batman '66 license was used right as you were making your re-theme, right? I made the custom Ghostbusters from Flash Gordon re-theme a few years ago and then Stern puts out a Ghostbusters pin! Heck, they also put out AC/DC shortly after another enthusiast made a re-theme of that. I'm starting to think they actually get ideas from this stuff...
I'm thinking of maybe re-theming my re-theme into something else once I get GB Premium.

Sound wouldn't be that bad for you to redo since you have the mp3 trigger it would just be new files on a new sd card. However stripping down the playfield would be a lot of work. What sort of themes were you thinking about?

You could redo it as the new 2016 Ghostbusters version.

Although I prefer the 1984 version(by a wide margin) I thought the 2016 version was fun and it had some great 3D effects.

#39 7 years ago

yes yes yes!!!! I live close to you and anything Bruce Campbell is my absolute favorite. Let me know if you need help or resources. I have great access to a nice 3D printer and good design capabilities.

#40 7 years ago

I was on a work trip to LA last week so I didn't get too much done on my artwork. However, I was in LA the same time as the Stan Lee Comikaze event. I went to that and I got a chance to meet Ted Raimi who was a super nice guy. He has been in all 3 or the original evil dead films (often playing multiple characters).

Since I need five of the show characters to replace the five Diner customers I've trying to decide who to use from season 1 and season 2.

Ted's character is Ash's idiot friend from high school "Chet Laminski". His character has some great funny lines but I'm not sure how long he'll last in the series. He's playing the type of character that probably won't be long for this world due to his sheer stupidity.

Ted says he loves pinball and would be honored if I had his character in the game. However I couldn't get him to tell me if his character was going be short lived or not. I think I'll end up using him even if he only lasts a few episode because he's so funny.

This is his character bio from the show:

"Ash's best friend from high school who never left the party. He's always willing to help Ash when he's in a bind especially if the solution includes hitting up a strip club, throwing a rager, or breaking and entering."

AVED-S2-character-photo-08 (resized).jpgAVED-S2-character-photo-08 (resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

I also got some potential playfield toys. The car is 74 Monaco but after I paint it I think it would pass for a 73 Delta. Chainsaw would need a bit of an overhaul to look like the one from the show.

delta (resized).jpgdelta (resized).jpg
chainsaw (resized).jpgchainsaw (resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I was on a work trip to LA last week so I didn't get too much done on my artwork. However, I was in LA the same time as the Stan Lee Comikaze event. I went to that and I got a chance to meet Ted Raimi who was a super nice guy. He has been in all 3 or the original evil dead films (often playing multiple characters).
Since I need five of the show characters to replace the five Diner customers I've trying to decide who to use from season 1 and season 2.
Ted's character is Ash's idiot friend from high school "Chet Laminski". His character has some great funny lines but I'm not sure how long he'll last in the series. He's playing the type of character that probably won't be long for this world due to his sheer stupidity.
Ted says he loves pinball and would be honored if I had his character in the game. However I couldn't get him to tell me if his character was going be short lived or not. I think I'll end up using him even if he only lasts a few episode because he's so funny.
"Ash's best friend from high school who never left the party. He's always willing to help Ash when he's in a bind especially if the solution includes hitting up a strip club, throwing a rager, or breaking and entering."

That's cool. I love Ted Raimi. He's been in a ton of the same stuff as Bruce, just usually with smaller parts. Always very funny though.

#43 7 years ago

Make sure that delta is possesed... with red leds.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Make sure that delta is possesed... with red leds.

Way ahead of ya. At first I was just going to light it up now and then during gameplay with a white led kinda like the car mods people put on creature. Then after seeing the possessed delta episode a few a weeks ago I want to put an rgb one in there so I can change it during the game.

Now I just need to figure out how to make flames come out the bottom and have it breath smoke from the grill like an angry bull.

#45 7 years ago

Epic movie!! Favorited !!

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

He played Henreita in EV2, and about 5 parts in AOD.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Now I just need to figure out how to make flames come out the bottom and have it breath smoke from the grill like an angry bull.

maybe you should put a fog machine under the machine... and trigger it when appropriately possessed delta mode.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

He played Henreita in EV2, and about 5 parts in AOD.

I think he played 4 characters in AOD. At least thats what he wrote on my poster when he signed it for me last week. One X for each part he played.

20161102_224811 (resized).jpg20161102_224811 (resized).jpg

SPOILER BELOW!!!
DONT PROCEED IF YOU AREN'T CAUGHT UP IN THE SHOW.

I really hope his Chet character on the show doesnt die as quickly as Lee Majors did

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Sis yoy mean to say "if" instead of "when"? Or do you know something?
When I stopped my Batman it was just before I was ready to put the final overlay down. Once I do that with Ash vs Evil Dead I'll be at the point of no return. So unless they announce within the next month or two I'll probably be at that point.

No info, just seems like a hot IP right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ash-vs-evil-dead-retheme-project-from-diners-to-deadites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.