(Topic ID: 117435)

ASCAP says operators should pay for songs pins play?

By BillPinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goonie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9d0143aef0bc003d628fc228453f747d.jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

No one wants to release a record anymore and lose money.

That's funny, there's still plenty of new trash...err....garb...err..."music" showing up all the time.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

As far as ASCAP is concerned, they should be vigilant about getting for the musicians all that they're entitled to. People have been using the internet to steal music for 15 years. It's killing the music business. No one wants to release a record anymore and lose money. How many of you that complain about having to pay ASCAP in your place of business also speak out against illegal duplication?

I agree that musicians should go after what they feel they are owed. I also think going after the girl scouts and church groups for daring to sing a song is a way to make those people not care about stealing your product.

The problem with ASCAP is they overstep their bounds and extort individuals who don't have the financial means to fight a lawsuit.

#103 9 years ago

I didn't know whether to believe the girl scouts thing, but it actually happened:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/17/nyregion/ascap-asks-royalties-from-girl-scouts-and-regrets-it.html

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I also think going after the girl scouts and church groups for daring to sing a song is a way to make those people not care about stealing your product.

The Girl Scouts can afford to pay. They charge $4.50 for a box of about 8 Tagalongs. Haha.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Is this legit.........?

since one of the machines mentioned is mine, I assure you, yes, this is very serious

Quoted from KenLayton:

Look at the yearly rates CD/vinyl jukebox operators have to pay:
http://www.jukeboxlicense.com/2015_ratesheet_standard.html
When the downloader (internet) jukes started appearing, operators had to pay 10 cents of every dollar taken in as a "copyright" fee. That fee is now up to 20 cents of every dollar and here in Washington state, operators also have to pay sales tax on top of that as well as monthly internet bills!

hah I wish that was all they were demanding, a jukebox license will not cover the pins and other games, they want us to pay for a venue license (very different... multiply those numbers by 10)

additionally paying the ASCAP fee means BMI and SESAC will follow shortly after looking for their protection money, it would literally be a business-killing expense

one of the machines mentioned by ASCAP was my Tron at Arcade Odyssey, they also mentioned AC/DC, and Pump it Up... we contacted Stern and Andamiro and they are both taking the matter seriously...

Don't think I can say more beyond that

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

It actually wasn't. We paid the ASCAP ransom and were free and clear on that.
Our license with Activision expired and when we started talks to extend the agreement the financials just didn't make sense to us.

Thanks for explaining. I thought it might have been a Betson vs Brady thing but I wanted a few more.

#107 9 years ago

I looked at my copy of the Tron Legacy soundtrack and it says score published by Wonderland Music Company Inc (BMI). Which makes it appear that ASCAP isn't involved in the Tron Legacy music rights. Additionally no tracks from Tron Legacy show up searching ASCAP's site.

Please keep the info coming, I really want to know what Stern has to say about all this.

#108 9 years ago

FedEx got sued for using a radio station as their on-hold music. They didn't honor the letter they got.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

I really want to know what Stern has to say about all this.

you and me both!

4 weeks later
#110 9 years ago

Is Jody Dankberg at Stern a real person? I have left this guy 20 voicemails, ASCAP is not backing down, they are contacting us with lawyers now

#111 9 years ago

This is a very serious situation and Stern Pinball is going to have to address this NOW lest operators start pulling machines off location.

Somebody should get this information to Vending Times magazine and Playmeter Magazine too.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

I looked at my copy of the Tron Legacy soundtrack and it says score published by Wonderland Music Company Inc (BMI). Which makes it appear that ASCAP isn't involved in the Tron Legacy music rights. Additionally no tracks from Tron Legacy show up searching ASCAP's site.

I wouldn't be surprised if ASCAP literally didn't give a shit, and just bullied people for no other reason than to collect their money, even money they have no entitlement to.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

Is Jody Dankberg at Stern a real person? I have left this guy 20 voicemails, ASCAP is not backing down, they are contacting us with lawyers now

Let us know if you find out anything. I am about to put my ACDC on location.......

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

This is cute. Look at bands with actual strong drummers like Rush, Tool, and Led Zeppelin. Are they on the list as writers? You bet your ass they are.

And Van Halen, the Eagles.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

Is Jody Dankberg at Stern a real person?

Yes.

Quoted from flecom:

I have left this guy 20 voicemails...

Yep, sounds about right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Trade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

16,500 (Firm)
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ascap-says-operators-should-pay-for-songs-pins-play/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.