6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 months ago

There have been two other threads that discussed this but they are both old at this point with both games getting code updates since. So as of today 3/12/18 what is a better game a Star Wars Pro or an Aerosmith Pro? I have played about 25 games on SW and about 5 on Aerosmith. I love the SW theme a lot, I don't mind the Aerosmith theme (not my favorite but FAR from a hate). Edit: Kiss Pro is the only other machine that I have.

#6 6 months ago

Stars for the WIN!
Oh wait...sorry.
Yeah, that other Star game I always back Levi on.

#7 6 months ago

Wow. I cant believe that this is so one sided.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Wow. I cant believe that this is so one sided.

Well I was sure the "SW ruined my childhood" crowd would have showed up by now but it's a pretty clear choice. Big upgrade in the LCD system is a major one. As far as recycling PF layouts I don't think kiss was a real good choice.

#9 6 months ago

SW no question. Says the guy with the Boba Fett helmet on his head avatar. But still...

#10 6 months ago

SW

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

As far as recycling PF layouts I don't think kiss was a real good choice.

KISS Pro is the only other machine we have. It is over at my brothers'. Are they too similar?? If you only had a Kiss Pro would you add SW Pro as your second machine?

#12 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

KISS Pro is the only other machine we have. It is over at my brothers'. Are they too similar?? If you only had a Kiss Pro would you add SW Pro as your second machine?

I think he's comparing Kiss and AS, not KISS and SW. KISS and SW play nothing alike IMO.

Oh, and another vote for SW. I'm a Premium owner so no doubt biased, but I play SW Pros on route in Denver fairly often and it's a great game. Aerosmith is fun too, and if you're a huge fan of the band that could play in its favor, as would the hand-drawn art. But it's neither as fast nor as exciting as SW. And the SW LED screen is much better implemented if that matters to you.

#13 6 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I think he's comparing Kiss and AS, not KISS and SW. KISS and SW play nothing alike IMO.

Oh, and another vote for SW. I'm a Premium owner so no doubt biased, but I play SW Pros on route in Denver fairly often and it's a great game. Aerosmith is fun too, and if you're a huge fan of the band that could play in its favor, as would the hand-drawn art. But it's neither as fast nor as exciting as SW. And the SW LED screen is much better implemented if that matters to you.

Yeah I think I read that wrong too. I am a big SW fan so that has me leaning that way. I played an Aerosmith and I loved the look and play. SW seems really fast. In the games that I have played, I can't get very far to even know what the code is like yet. I kicks my ass.

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

I certainly wouldn't add an Aerosmith! The layout and gamplay are very similar to KISS.

SW isn't really anything like Kiss.

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

I can't get very far to even know what the code is like yet. I kicks my ass.

Even more reason to get one then.

If more people bought and set up games to be “ass-kicking” games then, Pinside and pinball nay...the WORLD(!), would be a better place.

#16 6 months ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

If more people bought and set up games to be “ass-kicking” games then, Pinside and pinball nay...the WORLD(!), would be a better place.

That is a great response.

#17 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

They are very very close. I think AS made improvements over kiss but still it's just not a super fun layout for me.

#18 6 months ago

SW. Add a poll!

#19 6 months ago

Even though I own AS (and Kiss!) and am not a big fan of SW, if Kiss is your *only* other machine, I'd pick SW over AS.

#20 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Yeah I think I read that wrong too. I am a big SW fan so that has me leaning that way. I played an Aerosmith and I loved the look and play. SW seems really fast. In the games that I have played, I can't get very far to even know what the code is like yet. I kicks my ass.

It definitely plays fast and furious, especially with the lane multipliers always tempting you to take your hands off the flippers, just for a second, to shift them around ... But even as a mediocre pinball player, I'd say SW is "tough but fair." Set it up so it's not draining on launch or when you shoot the Deathstar orbit and you should be good to go. And you can always pinch the outlane posts in if you want to extend ball times a bit.

#22 6 months ago

SW by a country mile

#23 6 months ago

I love AS but the code on SW has more to offer and plus if you are a SW fan then its a no brainer imo. I just got a MET though and I personally think that MET smokes SW and AS both.

#24 6 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just got a MET though and I personally think that MET smokes SW and AS both.

I was considering MET but I prefer games with modes. I have played MET about 20 times and really like the shots I don't feel as engaged with the goals of the game.

#25 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

I was considering MET but I prefer games with modes. I have played MET about 20 times and really like the shots I don't feel as engaged with the goals of the game.

Im kind of the same way that you are buti have never had so much fun playing pinball as i have with MET. It does have the crank it up modes but you gotta workmto get tomthem, but i see what you are saying. I think its all of the fun shots is what i like.

#26 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

I enjoy SW's modes much more than AS's. Especially how they don't time out like AS's do, and the multiball mods with specific goals. Between AS and KISS, I think I'd take KISS. The layout just feels smoother, even if the theme integration isn't as good.

That said, there are definitely people who just can't stand SW for one reason or another. It just provokes a strong negative reaction in people which I don't see from AS. Then again it also seems to get a stronger positive reaction from fans than AS.

#27 6 months ago

Both have excellent theme integration. The sounds and music on AS and SW really pull you in. AS art is obviously better (hand drawn DD vs photoshop). I also give the upper hand to AS for toys... Jacky is super awesome and one of the better toys in pinball in a long time.

Rules go to SW. It has something like 12 modes, 4 mini-wizard modes, and other smaller missions. Not a lot going on with the playfield, but the code makes great use of what’s there.

Both great games and you can’t go wrong, but I ultimately bought SW.

#28 6 months ago

I've had AS Pro since last June and SW pro for about a month. These are 2 totally different machines. Not a really fair comparison at the moment since SW has really polished code and AS has very basic code (outlane drain callouts aren't even coded).

AS is what you play when you want to have low stress fun playing pinball. Zero stress, just fun. The game is nice to look at, goals are easy to understand, music is gets you moving, ball launching into the toybox, that beautiful girl in the elevator! Just plain, simple fun. The worst part about it for me is the 2 outer orbit shots are impossible for me to hit. The left ramp is pretty tight but rewarding. Thankfully, you can have fun with the game without relying on those shots. Visitors and my wife absolutely love this game.

Playing SW is much more involved. There is strategy and thinking that isn't too complicated like other game strategy (i.e. start this, get that ready then, hit his shot, then start MB, etc). The strategy is fairly easy to pick up, fun to try and learn but keeps you coming back because you know you could have executed it better (why did I start that mode without the multiplier on that shot???)! Then there is the light show, all I can say is wow. Lighting with perfect integration with the mode you are in and the SW theme. Every shot is like butter. Very makeable and backhandable.

Since you are a SW fan, I'm not even sure why you are asking this question. What you should be asking is SW pro or SW prem.

#29 6 months ago

SW by at least 12 parsecs.

#30 6 months ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I've had AS Pro since last June and SW pro for about a month. These are 2 totally different machines. Not a really fair comparison at the moment since SW has really polished code and AS has very basic code (outlane drain callouts aren't even coded).
AS is what you play when you want to have low stress fun playing pinball. Zero stress, just fun. The game is nice to look at, goals are easy to understand, music is gets you moving, ball launching into the toybox, that beautiful girl in the elevator! Just plain, simple fun. The worst part about it for me is the 2 outer orbit shots are impossible for me to hit. The left ramp is pretty tight but rewarding. Thankfully, you can have fun with the game without relying on those shots. Visitors and my wife absolutely love this game.
Playing SW is much more involved. There is strategy and thinking that isn't too complicated like other game strategy (i.e. start this, get that ready then, hit his shot, then start MB, etc). The strategy is fairly easy to pick up, fun to try and learn but keeps you coming back because you know you could have executed it better (why did I start that mode without the multiplier on that shot???)! Then there is the light show, all I can say is wow. Lighting with perfect integration with the mode you are in and the SW theme. Every shot is like butter. Very makeable and backhandable.
Since you are a SW fan, I'm not even sure why you are asking this question. What you should be asking is SW pro or SW prem.

Spot on review here. I think for the experienced hardcore player that SW might be the better game to get but AS is always the pinball noobs favorite in my collection. It's just good fun and a game that you dont take serious like TWD or GOT etc. Pinball noobs also love the toy box on AS. Its great to see peoples reaction when they see a ball get launched into the toy box for the first time. I do think my new MET game stands a good chance of knocking AS out of that #1 spot for noobs though. Time will tell.

#31 6 months ago

I own a SW pro and have a handful of plays on AS. Aerosmith was pretty fun, but didn't grab me like SW did. The toys on AS are much better, tho. Theme integration on SW is great.

The rules and speed on SW are phenomenal. I would dare say I like it play it more than my much more expensive Dialed In. I did wait for code to be complete before buying, which probably made a big difference since I didn't experience any early code blues.

#32 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I did wait for code to be complete before buying, which probably made a big difference since I didn't experience any early code blues.

Recently Dwight games have not really had the “early code blues”. Lyman and Lonnie are the most guilty of that with Lyman recovering 100% of the time. Can’t say the same for Lonnie.

#33 6 months ago

Wow, ok. I guess I am going to go with the SW. Code, theme, modes. Almost everyone seems to agree. Now to figure out where to get one. Have not seen many HUO ones. Might have to go NIB but have never done that before either.

#34 6 months ago

Another vote for SW. Although I recommend a premium

#35 6 months ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Wow, ok. I guess I am going to go with the SW. Code, theme, modes. Almost everyone seems to agree. Now to figure out where to get one. Have not seen many HUO ones. Might have to go NIB but have never done that before either.

Good choice.....and that's the interesting part to me: One would think if SW is as bad as some people say it is there would be more of them out there for sale as people would be unloading them.

Here is the problem with SW: no Star Wars movie, TV show, pin, book, toy, etc. will ever be as good as the expectations that some fans will have for it. I think for some people Stern's SW suffered from that as well. Does it have shortcomings?? Sure, every pin does.....but looking at it as a complete package SW is a great playing pin that achieves the vision that Steve and Dwight had for it!!

... and if you can swing it: get the Premium over the Pro!

#36 6 months ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Good choice.....and that's the interesting part to me: One would think if SW is as bad as some people say it is there would be more of them out there for sale as people would be unloading them.
Here is the problem with SW: no Star Wars movie, TV show, pin, book, toy, etc. will ever be as good as the expectations that some fans will have for it. I think for some people Stern's SW suffered from that as well. Does it have shortcomings?? Sure, every pin does.....but looking at it as a complete package SW is a great pin that achieves the vision that Steve and Dwight had for it!!
... and if you can swing it: get the Premium over the Pro!

I completely agree with you.
I think people see the large empty middle of the playfield and think it looks boring. I admit that I was one of them. The playfield is pretty barren in the middle. They definitely could have included more toys. But once I played a few games I was absolutely hooked. Its difficult and that's good IMO. I love the modes, the tight shots, the amazing light show, and the audio is superb. It's fast and fun and addicting. This is getting the most play in my gameroom now.

#37 6 months ago

Considering you have Kiss, go SW.
Then, sell Kiss and get AS. I think it’s sterns best pro in a while.

#38 6 months ago

I'm really surprised by the voting so far in this thread. I've played both of them on location (AS pro and SW premium) and find AS way more fun than Star Wars. It seems to shoot better, has the better toy interaction, and is easier to understand what's going on. Is the problem that I need like 50 to 100 games on Star Wars before it starts being better than AS? Like does it start out with AS being better for the first 50 games, then tied for 50, then Star Wars starts pulling ahead long term? I want to like Star Wars better but I just can't currently.

#39 6 months ago
Quoted from taylor34:

... It seems to shoot better, has the better toy interaction, and is easier to understand what's going on.

On a base level it isn't hard to understand at all. Shot the lit location areas to light modes; that's pretty much it.
I mean AS shoots a ball in a box...I'm sure that's neat-o for the first 5 times.

#40 6 months ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Is the problem that I need like 50 to 100 games on Star Wars before it starts being better than AS? Like does it start out with AS being better for the first 50 games, then tied for 50, then Star Wars starts pulling ahead long term? I want to like Star Wars better but I just can't currently

I think the 50 game statement is probably true, although I would say as little as 10 to 20 games on SW in a home environment might do it. I waited to pull the trigger on getting an AS until after SW was released as I was interested in both. Based on the early reviews and "empty playfield", I went ahead and got AS. Fast forward 6 months and AS has been replaced with SW and there is no comparison for me. I know I am still in the honeymoon period, but I think I have put more games on SW in 3 weeks than I did on AS in 6 months. As others have said, the code, sound, video clips and playfield light show are all spectacular.

#41 6 months ago

SW is a masterpiece.

#42 6 months ago

I like AS, but I will go with SW.

#43 6 months ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

I think the 50 game statement is probably true, although I would say as little as 10 to 20 games on SW in a home environment might do it. I waited to pull the trigger on getting an AS until after SW was released as I was interested in both. Based on the early reviews and "empty playfield", I went ahead and got AS. Fast forward 6 months and AS has been replaced with SW and there is no comparison for me. I know I am still in the honeymoon period, but I think I have put more games on SW in 3 weeks than I did on AS in 6 months. As others have said, the code, sound, video clips and playfield light show are all spectacular.

Thanks, that's what I was kind of wondering. Just playing them it was hard to see how SW was better unless there was depth after repeated plays, as the stuff you experience in the first 5 to 10 games is better on Aerosmith (artwork, lcd screen, toys, etc). But the long term rules I couldn't evaluate without a lot more play time.

#44 6 months ago

Aerosmith is just a fun, ass-kickin’ rock-and-roll pin with amazing art. And the theme *for me* is way better than Star Wars, which I’m really burned out on. I’m appreciating AS more now that I’m away from home every other week. MET was pretty raw when I first bought mine (2013), but my patience paid off. Hopefully something similar will happen with AS. If not, I’ll enjoy it for at least another year, maybe even route it.

#45 6 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Aerosmith is just a fun, ass-kickin’ rock-and-roll pin with amazing art. And the theme *for me* is way better than Star Wars, which I’m really burned out on. I’m appreciating AS more now that I’m away from home every other week. MET was pretty raw when I first bought mine (2013), but my patience paid off. Hopefully something similar will happen with AS. If not, I’ll enjoy it for at least another year, maybe even route it.

I think this is very true - AS code is VERY basic and has not been updated since March 2017 (essentially the game's first ship date). It has all the parts to be one of the great ones, it just needs more code complexity and polish.

Stern is showing a trend with it's music pins. Kiss owners had to wait 18 months for an update, AS owners have waited 12 months (so far)... a warning to you Iron Maiden prospective buyers.

#46 6 months ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Kiss owners had to wait 18 months for an update, AS owners have waited 12 months (so far)... a warning to you Iron Maiden prospective buyers.

MET 12 months.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Stern is showing a trend with it's music pins.

How aboot ACDC? Maybe it's a borg thing.

#47 6 months ago

Good point... Interesting that AC/DC didn't follow this trend... It had several code releases throughout 2012.

#48 6 months ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I think this is very true - AS code is VERY basic and has not been updated since March 2017 (essentially the game's first ship date). It has all the parts to be one of the great ones, it just needs more code complexity and polish.
Stern is showing a trend with it's music pins. Kiss owners had to wait 18 months for an update, AS owners have waited 12 months (so far)... a warning to you Iron Maiden prospective buyers.

AS and KISS are both music pins, true. But they're also coded by Lonnie Ropp, who did GOTG as well. Not blaming him personally, I have no idea what his work load at Stern is or what if any opportunity they provide him to update/complete his work. Regardless, it's ultimately it's on Stern to do right by their customers and provide functional, complete code for their games.

#49 6 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

AS and KISS are both music pins, true. But they're also coded by Lonnie Ropp, who did GOTG as well. Not blaming him personally, I have no idea what his work load at Stern is or what if any opportunity they provide him to update/complete his work. Regardless, it's ultimately it's on Stern to do right by their customers and provide functional, complete code for their games.

As I tried to point out earlier, it always ties back to Lonnie. Lyman is slow at first but gets it done in around two years or so. Lonnie on the other hand...well Star Trek was great, but Dwight came in to help at the end.

Another unique thing about IMDN: Elwin is doing the rules for the game. So the software team will theoretically have less rules design and more time for implementing the rules provided by Keith. Hopefully that means a quicker route to a code complete game.

#50 6 months ago

I think the reason people bag on Lonnie’s games is that they are deep, not wide. What I mean by this is that you don’t get all the easily accessed side modes like in S-M, but the multiballs tend to have different phases (IM, CSI) and the wizard mode is half the game (IM - Jericho). CSI got left by the side of the road code-wise, but it was still fun to own for a few years. IM is about as deep as Congo, and for me that’s okay.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Fullerton, CA
4,700 (Firm)
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 217.00
$ 68.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 24.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.35
Cabinet - Decals
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside