Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

I have a Bally Sounds Plus (AS-2518-56) board out of a Xenon that I'm having a hell of a time with... I'm seeing the below and am relatively stuck on where to go next...

SYmptoms - no sounds (or vocals)

1 - Took the board out - Cap kit was done prior to my involvement (looked new and correctly connected)
2 - repinned the connectors and replaced the POT
3 - Voltages are 13.6 and 5.17 on 1 an 2 (14.9 on 3, 3 on 5, and 13 on 6 if that matters, but I believe the 5v and 12v are the keys)
4 - Replaced each chip on the board with ones out of my spare MPUs and/or working 51 board (I'm back home testing in my Mystic...)

Still - no sounds. I do hear hum when the playfield lights shift around

Any expert advice on where to go next? I'd recommend just replacing the stupid thing if it didn't need to be that special board to mate with the vocalizer. (and it's for a sweet elderly couple that have had it since the mid 80s, so I'm kinda pro-bono on this one and trying to resolve it in house)

#2 4 months ago

You need to take a look at the Vocalizer board also. A problem with it can result in no sound.

If You want to test the -56 without the Vocalizer you have to install jumper H and remove jumper J. You can then test it in the Mystic without the Vocalizer.

#3 4 months ago

Check the three diodes (CR1, CR2, CR3) on the vocalizer board.
These burn/fail regularly.

#4 4 months ago

Try what JJ said and see if it will work as a -51 in your other game. If still not working check the 4049 chip as they can fail. On the schematic you will see the 4049 chip gates drown as a triangle. With a logic probe during sound or solenoid test check for pulsing on each end of triangle shape. If nothing on the output, pointy side, but there is pulsing in the input the chip has a problem. Not all inputs will be used, so just check the ones with wires going to the connector.

Also the 4011 chip can fail too but its seems to be less likely. One way to blow up the 4011 chip on this board is to try and force the reset low. I found out the hard way you cannot do that force a manual reset trick on this sound board like you can on the MPU.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Camp Hill, PA
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside