• Latest reply 2 years ago by mkdud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210425_210606 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I am helping a friend restore a Bally Paragon. MPU is a new Weebly, new Xpin transformer board, recapped and rebuilt solenoid driver.

Everything was working OK until recently. Machine will not get into attract mode, and the mpu will not go past 6 flashes. No fuses are blown, under PF fuse is fine, f4 is fine.

So, I check things a bit deeper, and I unplug the sound board and start the machine, I get the 7th flash and the machine boots into attract mode.

What on this board could be causing the MPU not to get to the 7th flash? I did order the Big Daddy cap/component kit, but it won't arrive for a few days.

What should I be checking on the board that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance, mk

20210425_210606 (resized).jpg20210425_210606 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Just found this in Pin-wiki:

"One interesting anomaly is that the 7th flash will not occur, if there is a bad 1N4004 diode (CR3) used on -32 / -50 sound boards. On these two sound boards, the +12VDC used on the boards is derived from the +43VDC solenoid voltage, and isolated by CR3."

I'm going to check CR3, (and probably some other components). I'll report the results. -mk

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

I'm going to check CR3,

Yes it's usually a bad diode CR3. The last MPU LED flash is reliant on the solenoid voltage rippling to zero volts (known as zero crossing detection). When diode CR3 short circuits, capacitor C17 on the sound board prevents the ripple to zero volts so the last MPU board test fails.

Similar issue two weeks ago:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harlem-won-t-boot-with-soundboard-connected#post-6226279

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes it's usually a bad diode CR3. The last MPU LED flash is reliant on the solenoid voltage rippling to zero volts (known as zero crossing detection). When diode CR3 short circuits, capacitor C17 on the sound board prevents the ripple to zero volts so the last MPU board test fails.
Similar issue two weeks ago:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harlem-won-t-boot-with-soundboard-connected#post-6226279

Came to post this ^^^ 99% chance the diode is bad (shorted). Pretty common problem even though less than a quarter amp constant current goes through that diode. Maybe a little surge at power up, but the cap is only 100uF.

#5 2 years ago

CR3 does test as shorted. I'm going to replace CR3, and install the cap/component kit. I'll report the results when I get to test the board in the machine. Thanks, mk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/as-2518-50-sound-board-stopping-7th-flash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.