3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JethroP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Powered up MPU with only U6, U9, and U11. Got a flicker. Added U1, U2. Got a flicker. Added U7 and got a flicker, then a flash (almost like a double first flash), then LED locked on. So I would say locked on after the flicker and two flashes. I tried several other 6810 chips. Same result. Any help troubleshooting?

#2 3 years ago

Oh....maybe I found the problem. I found that U6 is E-720-53....not for Playboy. I should have E-720-20. Could this cause the lock up on the second flash?

#3 3 years ago

Have checked I have the correct (PLAYBOY) game ROMs and jumper connections.

#4 3 years ago

Bad 5101 ram chip or it's socket is bad.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I should have E-720-20

Playboy requires "E-720-30" at U6

#6 3 years ago

I thought I had drained the post with bad information. My bad. Here is the correction:

I do have E-720-30 at U6.

Also, I do not have the 5101 installed yet. I was installing in order as stated in pinwiki to supposedly determine wherein the problem lies.

Maybe I didn't understand the pinwiki correctly. After I install U7, but before installing U8, should I get a locked on LED at the second flash, or should the LED go out? I guess I can install U8 as well and see what happens.

#7 3 years ago

So I went ahead and installed U8 and now I get a flicker and locks on the first flash.

Without U8 installed I get a flicker and locks on the second flash.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

should I get a locked on LED at the second flash, or should the LED go out?

LED should always go out.

Flashing the LED requires the U7 6810 RAM to be functional.

Check continuity to all the pins of U7. The U7 RAM test only verifies data written to the RAM chip is the same as what's read back. It doesn't test that the address lines to the 6810 are working.

Other thing to check is if the CPU is AMI brand and its R/W signal is failing and becoming weak.

Please post pictures of the MPU board.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Other thing to check is if the CPU is AMI brand and its R/W signal is failing and becoming weak.

That did it! Replaced the AMI processor and got all the flashes. Thank you!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/as-2518-35-locks-on-after-2nd-flash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.