(Topic ID: 271277)

AS-2518-35 LED 7 Flashes then Freezes

By JethroP

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200624_214759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4858 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4864 (resized).JPG
    PCD5101P (resized).jpg
    5F18ACF1-6A11-483E-A9E4-2A2E283796F8 (resized).jpeg
    DATA #4 (resized).png
    IMG_5198 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5197 (resized).JPG
    6B2D4B49-D888-40E7-96C9-A137069F7B6A (resized).jpeg
    36D976E4-DF80-4138-9FA7-B4C2C26AB0D9 (resized).jpeg
    Untitled (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 3.07.13 PM (resized).png
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

I am not hooking up a battery.
    I bought a supply of 5101 chips from overseas a while back. I guess they are not genuine. They were inexpensive. I could take one from another working board and try, but not sure if they are genuine or not.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I am not hooking up a battery.

Please try hooking up a battery first.

If there's no change in behavior, swap the 5101 for a genuine from another board.

#53 3 years ago

Yay!!! You got it! Hooked up a battery and no change. Replaced the 5101 and everything works!
    Unfortunately, all my old Bally games/boards have the same "counterfeit" 5101's except one. Guess I lucked out on the other games, but now I need to find a supply of genuine chips. How can I tell real from fake?

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

How can I tell real from fake?

Look at the date codes and if they look "new".
    Real Philips PCD5101P have a white stripe across the top of the chip and they're printed in white, not etched. See here - the bottom line shows a date code of '91

PCD5101P (resized).jpgPCD5101P (resized).jpg

So three of those counterfeits failed on three different boards?

I'm finding parts coming from China are not being remarked as much any more and often come scratched up now but at least you know what they really are.

I've bought genuine 5101 from here in the past each having original markings with different date codes from the early 90's. BUT, beware they often come with shorter legs.
    Problem now is they'll probably take 2-3 months to arrive.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32623218514.html

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Look at the date codes and if they look "new".
    Real Philips PCD5101P have a white stripe across the top of the chip and they're printed in white, not etched. See here - the bottom line shows a date code of '91
    [quoted image]
    So three of those counterfeits failed on three different boards?
    I'm finding parts coming from China are not being remarked as much any more and often come scratched up now but at least you know what they really are.
    I've bought genuine 5101 from here in the past each having original markings with different date codes from the early 90's. BUT, beware they often come with shorter legs.
    Problem now is they'll probably take 2-3 months to arrive.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32623218514.html

I wonder if its a really slow 5101 marked as a PCD5101P. Still can pass the POST but not keep up in normal operation? A couple times I have had bad 5101 yet the game still booted. Would get weird things like the display digits shifted over to the left.

I still have some tubes of original imprint PCD5101P used socket pulls with full length legs I will probably never use because of NVRAM. Random date codes from 80s and 90s. I tested every single one with a neoloch back years ago when I bought them. $2 ea + ship.

#56 3 years ago

Now I'm getting worried. I just bought some 5101's from Ebay:

ebay.com link: 1 PHILIPS PCD5101P 256 x 4 BIT STATIC RAM 22 PIN PDIP VINTAGE PINBALL SRAM IC

Looked too good to be true. I'm guessing they're fake. I'm afraid to use them now.

IMG_4858 (resized).JPGIMG_4858 (resized).JPGIMG_4864 (resized).JPGIMG_4864 (resized).JPG
    #57 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I tested every single one with a neoloch back years ago when I bought them.

Would the Neoloch tester weed out any bad 5101's that boot but don't preform correctly? I have a PIA blade but maybe I should get the SRAM blade.

I see David sold Neoloch to Pinball Classics. I don't think I've bought from them. They're not related to Classic Arcade are they?

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

ebay.com link » 1 Philips Pcd5101p 256 X 4 Bit Static Ram 22 Pin Pdip Vintage Pinball Sram Ic
    Looked too good to be true. I'm guessing they're fake. I'm afraid to use them now.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Hi Bob, I don't have any date codes as old as your picture, but I think those pictured are likely genuine PCD5101P.

The ones I have mostly have the phillips logo on the vertical bar on the left side like Quench's picture.

#59 3 years ago

Somewhere between 1987 and 1990 the Phillips logo started appearing on pcd5101p.

20200624_214759 (resized).jpg20200624_214759 (resized).jpg
    #60 3 years ago

Glad to hear everything got sorted out. I may have missed something above but out of curiosity, the OP mentioned swapping in known good boards (2 I believe?) one of which was working in another machine.

Did those boards also not work because they had questionable RAM too? If so, how is it that the boards would work in another machine?

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I wonder if its a really slow 5101 marked as a PCD5101P.

I also wonder if they're maybe remarked 2101 chips (pin/memory compatible but higher power version). Although the circle divots look like originals.
    Jethros chips have a date code of the year '50 - the Chinese really screwed that up

I think yours are originals from '84 - Philips probably marked them different at the time, plus they are shiny black. All the Chinese remark chips I get are coated or shaved and look matt black.

Quoted from pincity:

Did those boards also not work because they had questionable RAM too? If so, how is it that the boards would work in another machine?

This is the question..

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I also wonder if they're maybe remarked 2101 chips (pin/memory compatible but higher power version). Although the circle divots look like originals.
    Jethros chips have a date code of the year '50 - the Chinese really screwed that up

I think yours are originals from '84 - Philips probably marked them different at the time, plus they are shiny black. All the Chinese remark chips I get are coated or shaved and look matt black.

This is the question..

Of all the board swapping I did, the ones that didn't work were those that had the 5101 with the '50 year stamp. I had purchased those 5101's off eBay about a year ago from China. Little did I know.

I had a rebuilt 2518-35 MPU spare board that gave me 6 flashes on the bench, 7 with the jumper test, even though it had one of those bad 5101's. I also had the MPU that came with this Fathom I just purchased. It had corrosion so replaced the U8 socket and installed a new 5101. Another bad chinese version. It gave me 7 flashes. So I was working with 2 boards that gave me 7 flashes but didn't boot correctly.

Checking what I installed on my other games, my Rolling Stones has one of the chinese chips and it plays fine. Don't know why. The only difference, maybe just coincidently, is that the Rolling Stones is running a modified -17 board to emulate the -35 board. For whatever reason, it's working.

I'm ordering some "real" chips and tossing these headaches!

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

So I was working with 2 boards that gave me 7 flashes but didn't boot correctly.

That's what worries me most. When I repair a board for someone I always bench test it but without the game I don't really know if it's going to work.

Quoted from Quench:

plus they are shiny black. All the Chinese remark chips I get are coated or shaved and look matt black.

These Ebay chips look brand new with a '84 date code. Hard to believe they're 35 years old and never used. I would have felt better if they were scuffed up.

#64 3 years ago

These Ebay chips look brand new with a '84 date code. Hard to believe they're 35 years old and never used. I would have felt better if they were scuffed up.

Buying from a surplus store I'd expect them to be NOS parts. They even had the original box pictured that they came in.

Didn't I read in another thread you have a Meteor with you? You can test two 5101 chips at the same time in that game.

#65 3 years ago

You believe they are 35 year old NOS. I also have a MPU 200 coming. I might try the new board with these RAMs in the Meteor.

Thanks Quench.

#66 3 years ago

Yes, again, thanks Quench. Can't say it enough....thank you.

#67 3 years ago

Why isn't this thread marked resolved?

Why not just move to 5101 NVRAM to make these old Bally games battery free? IC sockets are already on the board, so it seems like a no-brainer to me.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/as-2518-35-led-flicker-no-1st-flash/page/2?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.