• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7FBD518C-52B0-491D-B883-3A341D172B7E (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Game was playing fine until the other day with it wouldn't boot. Observed the LED locked on at power up.
I assumed problem were the old brown sockets, so I replaced them, but that didn't correct the problem.

There is no corrosion on this board.

I removed all the chips except U6, U9, and U11. Also, replaced U9 and U11 with new chips from PBR and GPE. Still locked on.

The reset circuit appears to be working correctly per the tests in pinwiki.

I have continuity checked every pin on U6, U9, U10, and U11. Didn't find any problems.

I don't have another U6 to try, nor do I have another board to test the 9316-U6 in without changing jumpers. Is there a way to check the U6 any other way?

Troubleshooting recommendations?

#2 3 years ago

i bit the bullet and rejumpered a working board and tried my U6 chip in it. LED was locked on at power up, so I am concluding that ROM is bad. Unusual to have a ROM go bad? I guess I'll buy a new set and hope that solves the problem.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Masked roms do go bad.

Is this a masked rom?

7FBD518C-52B0-491D-B883-3A341D172B7E (resized).jpeg7FBD518C-52B0-491D-B883-3A341D172B7E (resized).jpeg
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes.
You need to get a cheap eprom burner so you can verify roms on the boards you've been working on.

You mean I have to learn something new?

I researched them a while back and decided i didn't want to learn how to burn PROMs, and all that. Well, maybe it's time to rethink that.

#8 3 years ago

So you are saying i can plug my original U6 ROM into the cheap eprom burner and it will verify the ROM is good?

#11 3 years ago

Deleted. Got my answer in the PM.

#12 3 years ago

Going to mark this as resolved and start a new, more specific thread for continuation:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-won-t-boot

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Should not had created a new thread. Everyone loses the history of what was done.

While some of the info in this thread was educational, it was general and didn't do anything to resolve my problem. The new thread describes my game and problem, and anyone reading it won't have to read historical postings to get up to speed. Hopefully

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/as-2518-17-led-locked-on?tu=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.