4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MythMaker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

What services have you used on the past for printing the artwork for the cabinet and the playfield?

Ideally an online service that can be sent the finished hi-res files, reasonably priced and produces high quality and durable artwork.

Any recommendations for type of material to print for both, or how to get the best artwork finish for the playfield? (clearcoat on top, etc)

What type of prep did you do to the cabinet before applying the decals?

Thanks for any help in advance!

#2 4 years ago

Hi MythMaker,

My son - who is 16 now - has built 2 original design pinball machines and 1 video arcade machine. I have helped him with the artwork for these 3 projects.

We have used Game On Grafix: https://www.gameongrafix.com on 3 separate occasions now for the exterior vinyl on our cabinets. They have a $149 package for "pinball side and front art" - under the "Customer Designed" menu tab. We have not done any playfield art to date - so I can't comment on that aspect.

My son's first project was done when he was 10 - so that particular finish is going on 6 years now, and for all I can tell, is still as vibrant today as it was then and shows no evidence of peeling free of the cabinet.

Our prep involved 3 coats of the "OneShot" brand sign painters enamel (applied with a roller) - lightly sanded between coats and then lightly finish sanded with a few different grits - don't remember off the top of my head, but we probably wet sanded at the final time with 1500 grit or some such... then used a dry paper towel and tack cloth to make sure no grit remained on the surface. The vinyl has a paper backing which you peel off to expose the adhesive. As these were rather large surfaces, it was a two-man job. We worked out a system where one of us would slowly pull the backing off while the other would press the newly exposed vinyl to the paint with a paper towel held in his hand. (slides better than a sweaty palm)

If I recall - Game On Grafix actually has the detailed instructions that we followed on their website - so you might check there...

I would post a few pictures - but I'm hoping to do a very special post in the near future on our latest projects, and I don't want to scoop it quite yet.

So, that's what we've done - but I would be very curious to hear what others have done - especially since we have not ventured into the playfield art portion of thing yet...

All the best,

Mark

#3 4 years ago

Thank you! I have already reached out to Game on Grafix and they seem like the perfect source to print the cabinet artwork.

Has anyone had any luck or success getting playfields printed?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artwork-printing-for-cabinet-and-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.