Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by desiArnez
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0E3BCF95-DF50-41B2-A945-EA39370C258C (resized).jpeg
    3DA235EB-0F54-42A1-A7C6-D28EA88EDEBF (resized).jpeg
    F52464EC-0144-426B-9576-5F45F85F654E (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I was working at a clients business last weekend and he was showing me his brand new $250,000 printer. He was telling me that it can print on any substrate, wood, plastic, acrylic, etc, etc. It was pretty bad ass, with water cooled UV lamps to dry the ink and a print head assembly that runs on some type of magnetic levitation.

He told me that the hardest part was getting good artwork.

How does one go about getting playfield artwork? I'd be curious to have them try printing something for me and see how it turns out. I was thinking I could scan one of my playfields then sand it down and have them re-print it. I'm sure it sounds a lot easier than what it is, which is why I'm asking.

#2 4 years ago

Vector files.

With scanned images, you're getting all the imperfections of the scan, defects and texture of the paint and wood, etc.

The best/easiest thing is to try to get copies of the silkscreen films and scan those, since it's much easier to vectorieze those, or scan a nice playfield and redraw it as vector artwork, which can sometimes be a painstaking process, depending on how detailed the artwork is.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Vector files.
    With scanned images, you're getting all the imperfections of the scan, defects and texture of the paint and wood, etc.
    The best/easiest thing is to try to get copies of the silkscreen films and scan those, since it's much easier to vectorieze those, or scan a nice playfield and redraw it as vector artwork, which can sometimes be a painstaking process, depending on how detailed the artwork is.

How do you get copies of the films? I'm assuming you can't just go download them somewhere.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

How do you get copies of the films? I'm assuming you can't just go download them somewhere.

Nope. It involves some luck, some connections, the films being in private hands (rather than planetary pinball, CPR, etc), and the willingness of whomever happens to have copies of the films to share them.

#5 4 years ago

So it sounds like unless you have a background in graphic design, you're pretty much screwed?

#6 4 years ago

So it sounds like unless you have a background in graphic design, you're pretty much screwed?

Unless you know a graphic designer who's willing and able to help, and/or you would be able to pay for one to do the work. But, it's not impossible that a graphic designer could have use for a printer like that, so who knows.

#7 4 years ago

I am in the printing world, high res artwork (vector) is what you need. Yes, a graphic design background would help or you will pay someone a ton of money to recreate the art.

#8 4 years ago

Damn. Well, I found the guy that can print it.

I'm pretty sure they have graphic designers in his office, but I assumed they would be expensive. The printing process is fairly inexpensive.

#9 4 years ago

Damn. Well, I found the guy that can print it.
    I'm pretty sure they have graphic designers in his office, but I assumed they would be expensive. The printing process is fairly inexpensive.

Correct, the printing part is really reasonable, but the work and money is in the artwork.

3 weeks later
    #10 4 years ago

just the other day I was designing a new playfield for my Shaq Attaq machine but without a strict print area template it was just another way to fend off boredom.

If you had a CAD drawing I could use as a template and a shop that could shave a playfield (including inserts), the design is the easier part.

#11 4 years ago

what about play field artwork that is already done for virtual pinball? I know those guys have just about every playfield you can imagine. and many are easily downloadable

#12 4 years ago

I was thinking of some of my older games. I have two Bally Safari's that have pretty good play fields, but it would be cool to sand one down and have it reprinted. I don't suspect they have many older games, but I don't have any experience with virtual pinball.

#13 4 years ago

Registration, scale and proportion. You will need vector art that is editable or dont bother as it will take several attempts to get it right. Seems like it should be easy. Like if you buy a new door for you house from home depot. The dimensions say it should fit right? Never happens and thats just four edges. Now try it with numerous uniquely shaped inserts scattered over the surface area with varying orientations. Im shopping for a flat bed printer as its absolutely awesome the myriad of things they can do but repairing old playfields isnt one of them.

#14 4 years ago

ahem

#15 4 years ago

I already work you hard enough for the league stuff!!! Or should I say, you’re nice enough to donate your free time to make the league kick ass graphics.

In case anyone cares, and totally off topic, grimes made the league a bad ass Launch Party OBS overlay. It was better live since the Stranger Things text would freak out every 30s or so.
    F52464EC-0144-426B-9576-5F45F85F654E (resized).jpegF52464EC-0144-426B-9576-5F45F85F654E (resized).jpeg

And one for Elvira.
    3DA235EB-0F54-42A1-A7C6-D28EA88EDEBF (resized).jpeg3DA235EB-0F54-42A1-A7C6-D28EA88EDEBF (resized).jpeg

#16 4 years ago

We can talk more offline on this, but I have thought about wanting to try my hand at this type of thing - although on a smaller scale (backglasses or small sections that show wear). The only thing that I would need is a scan of the playfield, and access to the machine to match colors.

I found that some people have have had luck modifying scanners to take scans of smaller sections - combining them into one image, but the easiest and more accurate way would be to get a large format scan taken (maybe your printer has a large scanner?). Discussed here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/play-field-scanning

From what I remember of Safari, I don't think it would actually take me that long to vectorize a scan from it - there are a lot of large solid areas.

4 weeks later
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grimes:

....I have thought about wanting to try my hand at this type of thing - although on a smaller scale (backglasses or small sections that show wear). The only thing that I would need is a scan of the playfield, and access to the machine to match colors...

Me too. This area is my antagonist. I’d love a printout I can clear over (water-based). The color drastically lightens as one sands down to the paint. Add clear over a decal, touch-up, etc and it’ll never look right.

But if you have any ideas, I’m open.

I’m thinking about doing unapologetic alternative art there but would like it printed out hardtop style. Impact absorbing. Recreate the lettering, of course.

0E3BCF95-DF50-41B2-A945-EA39370C258C (resized).jpeg0E3BCF95-DF50-41B2-A945-EA39370C258C (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artwork-for-printing-a-playfield?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.