Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rw2 (resized).jpg
    rw3 (resized).jpg
    rw1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6459 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6458 (resized).JPG
    image6 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

Just curious if there are any "famous" artists out there you wish did artwork for pinball machines? The inspiration for this post is me looking at some of the work that SHAG (www.shag.com) has done, both on his own and for the Disney Parks. I've always liked his style and have been curious how it would translate to a game.

Any others out there that come to mind for people? Feel free to link examples of their work.

#2 6 years ago

How about a Rothko pin?

#3 6 years ago

Locations in Palm Springs and West Hollywood...

Quoted from ejacques:

Just curious if there are any "famous" artists out there you wish did artwork for pinball machines? The inspiration for this post is me looking at some of the work that SHAG (www.shag.com) has done, both on his own and for the Disney Parks. I've always liked his style and have been curious how it would translate to a game.
    Any others out there that come to mind for people? Feel free to link examples of their work.

#4 6 years ago

Joey Cruz, is a local artist with just enough Crazy and flair to bring to a game!
    The color pieces are tops!

Maybe he will get noticed!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    image6 (resized).JPGimage6 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from ejacques:

I wonder if 'artists' would make a good theme? Seems a bit silly, but could be an interesting idea where you are looking to paint art/populate a museum and have objectives and art built around the masters... Dali, Monet, Warhol, Liechtenstein, Van Gogh. With an LCD and video and lighting it could be amazing.

Think something like the black and white lighting with coloring from Wizard of Oz, or effects like in the film What Dreams May Come or Pleasantville.

#6 6 years ago

Maybe like Worlds Fair Jigsaw by Rockolla....An LCD Screen of Artwork, and you collect the "pieces" to finish the painting for the museum, and on to the next.
    In this method, regardless of theme, and endless supply of images to create, from an assortment of shots, combos,
    and timers....I cant imagine getting bored of a pin like this, as long as the theme works for the player.

I think its the reason games like Jigsaw, and World Series, are a blast to still play 80 years later.....

#7 6 years ago

Roy Lichtenstein
    Salvador Dali
    Rene Magritte

Of course, they're all dead. I bet if Dali was alive, he could be convinced. After all, he did some artwork for a dream sequence in the Hitchcock film Spellbound.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Maybe like Worlds Fair Jigsaw by Rockolla....An LCD Screen of Artwork, and you collect the "pieces" to finish the painting for the museum, and on to the next.
    In this method, regardless of theme, and endless supply of images to create, from an assortment of shots, combos,
    and timers....I cant imagine getting bored of a pin like this, as long as the theme works for the player.
    I think its the reason games like Jigsaw, and World Series, are a blast to still play 80 years later.....

I like that, but I think it would maybe work better if instead of puzzle pieces it was a certain number of paints you need to collect, then components of the painting process... for example with lecthenstein it could be a background wash, then dark solid colors, then dots, then black lines.

Puzzle pieces would look too constrained for something as organic as art. And the beauty would come from the animation of the painting coming together.... oh and then maybe the painting could even come to life and move (imagine wind blowing in a Monet)

Quoted from Nokoro:

Roy Lichtenstein
    Salvador Dali
    Rene Magritte
    Of course, they're all dead. I bet if Dali was alive, he could be convinced. After all, he did some artwork for a dream sequence in the Hitchcock film Spellbound.

And the Disney cartoon Destino.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

I like that, but I think it would maybe work better if instead of puzzle pieces it was a certain number of paints you need to collect, then components of the painting process... for example with lecthenstein it could be a background wash, then dark solid colors, then dots, then black lines.
    Puzzle pieces would look too constrained for something as organic as art. And the beauty would come from the animation of the painting coming together.... oh and then maybe the painting could even come to life and move (imagine wind blowing in a Monet)

And the Disney cartoon Destino.

I agree...paint by number, or as you describe would be much better!

#10 6 years ago

M.C. Escher pin would be cool.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Wow! Never thought of that but TOTALLY AGREE

#12 6 years ago

Jim Phillips, the guy who did the art for Santa Cruz skateboards in the '80's.

Robert Williams.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Except for the ramp that keeps going up, forever and never returns to the flipper.

Escher could be one of the artists in the museum pin I proposed.

3 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago

Hi,
    Sure that Boris (Vallejo) and Julie (Bell) may produce something heroic !
    www.borisjulie.com
    Evidently, on a fantastic theme or super hero.

@trilogybeer: Escher could be fun with balls climbing the playfield in reverse way

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Jim Phillips, the guy who did the art for Santa Cruz skateboards in the '80's.

VCJ who made great GFX for P&P would kill it!

http://www.vcjgraphics.com

#16 6 years ago

There is a fantasy artist named Michael Calandra. He could do a wicked art package on a fantasy themed pin.

IMG_6458 (resized).JPGIMG_6458 (resized).JPG

Or imagine if they used him to do a new edition of Game of Thrones

IMG_6459 (resized).JPGIMG_6459 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

A pin with Robert Williams artwork would be amazing. Did any of his album cover art for Appetite For Destruction make it onto the Guns n Roses pin?

rw1 (resized).jpgrw1 (resized).jpg

rw3 (resized).jpgrw3 (resized).jpg

rw2 (resized).jpgrw2 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artists-who-should-work-on-pinball-art?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.