P3010021 (resized).JPG
P3010017 (resized).JPG
PA270138 (resized).JPG
PA270137 (resized).JPG
PA270136 (resized).JPG
PA270135 (resized).JPG
PA270134 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

54 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 2020 photos of what’s left of Gene’s place. Posted by dudah (3 years ago)

Post #8 Dougram’s first installment of their part of Gene’s story. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #14 Dougram part 2 Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #19 Link to an article about the history of Big Bang Bar. Posted by WODKA (3 years ago)

Post #28 Dougram part 3- some inventory arrives. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #83 Link to TOPcast episode 11, interview with Gene. Posted by wallybgood (3 years ago)

Post #87 Dougram part 5- musing about Atlas memories. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlife.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 3 years ago

I'm yet another guy who took some great pics ~2008 when all the parts went to PSPA and again ~2012 when all the parts (and machines and some tooling) went to Planetary.

Circa 2012 (can't actually remember precisely what year it was) I received a full tour, not hosted by Gene but by the company responsible for selling his assets during the bankruptcy, of the house and all of Gene's building before Planetary took possession. I had been to Gene's compound and satellite building many times before and thought I had seen everything, but on that day I was taken through several rooms and buildings I had never been in before. In short, it was a crazy, surreal world this man had created.

I hope I still have the pics somewhere, but I fear they may be lost for the same reason so many pics are lost; digital black holes. If I can find them I will post them here.

Terry.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It’s all good now, let’s wait for some pictures!! I want to see these walk throughs of the legendary, dilapidated, massive, rotten collection!

Damn it! I took those EXACT pictures. I just gotta find them.
Terry.

#89 3 years ago

As for Atlas, I put a bid in for all the pinball parts at the end of their run, but I did not get them. All of their stock was somewhat cherry picked by that time, but there was still some value there. I think my bid was $35,000, IIRC. I admit that was too low, in retrospect.
Terry.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I always wondered, how was Rick the one to be able to buy it all at the federal auction? did other have a shot and he just outbid?

Rick put in the original bid and anyone could have upped that bid until the sale deadline.

I looked over every inch of what was for sale and decided to not place a higher bid. There was a lot of value there, but there was also years and years of work to get it all moved, organized, identified, pictures taken, loaded to a website, etc. To attack the *project* properly, one would also need about another 5000 square feet of warehouse space.

At the end of the day I guess I just wasn't up to the challenge.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Looks like a glorified driveway. Wouldn't be surprised that if you build a new street on your own dime, the city lets you name it (within reason).

I've driven down that *lane* many times. Its a gravel driveway.

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from thefoxxman:

Out of curiosity - what WAS the high bid? Very fascinating discussion indeed.

It's not my place to say what the winning bid was since it was not PBL.

I was simply clarifying that other bids could have been made once the original bid was placed. Were they? I don't know. I didn't end up raising the bid. That's my business and I feel comfortable sharing that bit of info. Beyond that, I am not at liberty to say, sorry.

I found it odd that Gene had so much stuff left in ~2012. About 4 years earlier he had supposedly sold everything to another pinball parts seller(s), yet he still had rooms, no buildings, full of parts in his possession when I took the pre-bankruptcy tour of his properties in ~2012.

#200 3 years ago

Found my email to the person overseeing the bankruptcy sale. This email is from May 27th, 2014. So I was wrong about the year being ~2012.

Dear (name removed),
We went to IPB and took a day to look at everything; what a mess! There were no straight answers to be had from anyone; no commitments of exactly what would happen after the sale; no clear lines of what the removal process would be like; no timelines for any processes at all.
Although there is value there, we have concluded that there are too many possible bad outcomes.
Sadly, this means no bid from us.
Best Regards,
Terry.

#224 3 years ago

The debtors list was insane as well. I remember places like the local donut shop being on the list. Crazy.

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Was it an actual federal bankruptcy auction? How did it all work. I was around at that time but never even heard of the actual auction happening.
I knew of the cash sell offs prior, and of course the PPS sell off (or attempted sell off? Of the junk they did not want). But I never heard of the actual auction from the bank. Would be interested in seeing how far in front of that auction the cash sell off was happening.

It was the offical bankruptcy auction. Are those federal? Heck, I don't know. Luckily I have never had to gain much of an understanding of what is all involved in bankruptcy proceedings.

Nothing was sold before the *auction*. It wasn't an auction in the typical *live auction* sense. PPS had put in a bid and that bid had to be topped before a certain date. I think Wayne cleared up how it all worked with the documentation he posted.

Gene was also not able to sell or even touch his stuff during the proceedings. I remember us walking by a pile of ladders and Gene asked the guy from the auction house that was leading our tour if he could borrow one of them for something he needed to do. He was told *NO* in no uncertain terms. Wow.

My biggest fear about buying Gene's stuff was that the second I became the new owner Gene would be my mortal enemy. Basically, the second his stuff had a new owner the bank would no longer be keeping Gene from the stuff, so it would now be my responsibility. Guards at multiple locations would have to be installed around the clock until and as the property was removed. Gene had a long history of hiding and stealing his own stuff.

"You don't do business with Gene as much as you do battle with Gene" someone once told me, and truer words were never spoken.

#226 3 years ago

Not only were the pinball machines, pinball parts, and building included in the bankruptcy sale, so was his house and everything in it. We're talking forks, blenders, plastic plants, cheesy-as-shit artwork, guns (yes, guns), etc, etc, etc.

Some of the rooms upstairs had been pretty much cleared out, so I don't know what happened to that stuff. Also, the master bedroom walk-in closet was empty as well. To say this was a *closet* doesn't really do it justice though. It was probably 400 square feet. Maybe I'm stretching it a bit, as memory can be a funny thing, but it was BIG and empty. Both hot tubs were still there; one in the grotto and another in the master bedroom. There was a stairway that led directly from the grotto to the master bedroom, so make of that what you will.

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Just for the people like me reading this who do not know any of what is being described here, my question is:
People are saying that the Bally/Williams pins were just rotting away in GC's possession. Was this stuff in dis-repair before he bought the stuff or was it just not taken care of when in his possession, stored incorrectly or what? Thanks!

Gene did not care if they worked or not. Most were never plugged in. It was all sad, sad, sad.
So in short, whatever condition he bought them in, things were only going to get worse. All his buildings leaked. During one tour it was raining outside and there was literally *A River Runs Through It* situation going on. We would joke that the only reason he had pinball machines was to keep the ceiling from hitting the floor, because LOTS of ceiling had fallen and was just sitting on the machines.

One of his buildings was an old horse stable. He hadn't changed a thing, except that horses were no longer in the stables, only piles of heaped together pinball parts. It was a total mess.

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Sounds like a Shakespearean tragedy.

This, exactly.
If Gene sold his parts and/or machines then he wouldn't able to parade you past them while saying *I own all this stuff and you never will*.
His pride and stubborn nature cost him everything in the end.
I know what he paid for all the WMS parts (a fair amount of people do). I also can somewhat guess what the street value ~2006 was when they would have been worth the most, before tons of stuff got remade because of his hording and his impossible nature as a businessman. He should have died rich on a yacht, but he died penniless in a rundown ramshackle place.

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

From what I understood from Gene, he preferred working with third parties that would manufacture new spare parts. As a royalty, let's say 10%, Gene didn't ask for money, but he wanted 10% of the products made. So if someone was making 100 cabinet decal sets for a certain game, he had to send 10 sets to Gene, who would then be able to sell them. I found that an interesting concept.

Sounds good on paper, but it rarely ever worked that way. Gene would figure out a way to f**k you if he could, and he never stopped trying. Even as far back as 2002 it didn't take much digging to find out Gene was not someone you wanted to do business with, be partners with, or make handshake deals with.

When I first started considering pursuing PBL as a full time occupation in 2002, the first thing I needed to establish in my mind was whether or not it was 100% doable without the involvelment of IPB/Gene. Was there enough meat left on the bone after removing playfields, cabinet decals, plastic sets, translites, patented parts (which have all since expired), etc.? I decided there was, simply because the common *boring* parts that actually made machines operate were largely being ignored. So my focus became that, and largely still is today.

If Gene ever managed to make any parts (and he made precious few for the first 5 years or more), it was always highly visible *brag* parts like cabinet decals, playfield plastic sets, or the like. He rarely, if ever, manufactured things like a flipper pawl, a rod and ring assembly, rubber rings, leg bolts, etc. Where was the glory in that? Gene wanted attention, respect, and adoration. Would a V-crank assembly bring him that? No.

#277 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It seemed like at the time they didnt have a clue what they had... just you could make a request and theyd go hunt. Maybe they had no real inventory stuff.... but at least it’s organized on shelves and maybe separated

They had no website until ~2005 (my memory for exact years has never been good, so someone please clarify it they remember the year better than I). IPB sold through distributors; first only Bearcave (IIRC), then after that venture fell apart reselling went to places such as Mazzco, Marco, BAA, etc. Gene dropped by my house unannounced at some point wanting to make one of his hand shake deals concerning the reselling of his parts and I politely told him that this was not part of my business plan. I had seen way too many of his dealings end in tears.

When the IPB website did finally appear, it was very rushed and thrown together looking (uh, that horrible welcome page with the pinball sounds). Most parts didn't have a picture or a description. My two favorite categories were *Metal Parts* and *More Metal Parts*. Classic.

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

yeah but its not like he got those [Capcom] parts for free... his sales price would try to recoup some of his capcom expenses plus the new stuff needed.

No not free, but almost free.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 209.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlife.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball?tu=pinballlife and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.