P3010021 (resized).JPG
P3010017 (resized).JPG
PA270138 (resized).JPG
PA270137 (resized).JPG
PA270136 (resized).JPG
PA270135 (resized).JPG
PA270134 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

54 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 2020 photos of what’s left of Gene’s place. Posted by dudah (3 years ago)

Post #8 Dougram’s first installment of their part of Gene’s story. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #14 Dougram part 2 Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #19 Link to an article about the history of Big Bang Bar. Posted by WODKA (3 years ago)

Post #28 Dougram part 3- some inventory arrives. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #83 Link to TOPcast episode 11, interview with Gene. Posted by wallybgood (3 years ago)

Post #87 Dougram part 5- musing about Atlas memories. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dudah.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Being based out of Chicago, the history of pinball in the area has always intrigued me. I'm on the younger end of the spectrum here (34 years old) and the story of Big Bang Bar/Gene Cunningham always stuck out as a very cool one. I've followed the story over time and thought it was so cool that such an ambitious project was happening right in my backyard. At the same time, sad that Gene had such a passion for this hobby and industry only to be defeated and lose a bunch of money on the project.

In a recent work trip to central Illinois, I was in Bloomington IL and decided to see what was left of Gene's legacy.
I googled some addresses and checked out a few spots.
The roller rink was still there (under new ownership).
The address for IPB was a nasty old building that was all boarded up and no evidence of previous tenants.
I was specifically looking for the overspray where they painted the #BBB cabinets.
Knowing that Gene had many warehouses, I gave up.
I didn't poke around too much as there were plenty of cars driving by and an occupied house adjacent.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Then I found his house.
I recall an article where the warehouse behind his house burned down, the article was still up - https://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cause-of-warehouse-fire-under-investigation/article_c4135de5-633a-5eff-92dc-a9846ed24c5b.html
I looked it up on maps first and saw the warehouse on there! Let's go visit.

cunninghouse (resized).JPGcunninghouse (resized).JPG

I get there and it's a pretty big house from the street. I pull in back to find a little lake, a good amount of land, and a huge concrete pad where the warehouse used to be.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
The house itself is pretty strange, it looks like a few additions were put on over the years.
I wasn't sure it was the right house. I was surprised for a fire there was no charred remains, everything was cleaned up.
I walk along the concrete pad looking to find some remnants of what used to be there.
While I find some broken glass (not from a backglass) the only artifact was one very rusty pop bumper plunger.

Again, it's a residential area and I didn't want any trouble so didn't stay long.
Looking the house up on Zillow - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1409-Butchers-Ln-Bloomington-IL-61701/105639708_zpid/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emo-propertyalertnew&rtoken=0651dc5d-7a3f-4ff7-a2a9-b119df107024~X1-ZUzjjglkyzhvk9_aau4d&utm_term=urn:msg:20200622172940043522bb87c5c8af&utm_content=image
Despite being on the market for over a year, the bank just accepted an offer on it.
It's INSANE inside.
I can only imagine the great times Gene shared with his kids and grandkids in this great home.
More-so, what cool and rare games once lived here.
I joke with my girlfriend that this is a sweet cheap house that would be cool to update, she humors me and says no.

It felt strange walking these grounds knowing what used to be here.
I was saddened that I never got to meet Gene or experience what he brought to this hobby.
Having learned that he recently passed, it was also a humble reminder that life is short and to stay motivated to get what you want out of it.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Was that an old Playboy Mansion he was living in? Disco ball above the pool takes the cake!

It would appear that Gene fucks

Quoted from Whysnow:

Just 3 pictures I have handy.
Videos seem to have been lost to technology.

Thanks for sharing what you have!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Thank you, Whysnow, for your permission via PM to let me post any/all of the three images into the IPDB.
Once I do that, I was hoping to note each image with the year, or month and year, when the images were made, and where. I like to do that, if I can, for the unique pieces that make rare appearances. I assumed they were somewhere at Gene's house or compound.
You did not recall when, but said those pics "were all in the main 'house warehouse' (what most would refer to as the weight room)"
Can anybody help us, to come up with the year (if not month and year) when Whysnow would have taken those pictures? I presume, Whysnow, that they were made all in the same visit and probably during some open house event?

Is there any EXIF metadata on the photos you have?
http://metapicz.com/#landing

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

He owned rental property. Some would say he was a slum lord. Word on the street is, he ended up in one of his rental houses that was so bad the bank didn't want it back.

A bunch of rental property. Bloomington is a college town and he owned a bunch of old houses he'd rent out to college kids. Being a lifelong resident, I imagine he bought up property back in the day when it was dirt cheap and as the college expanded and attendance rose, so did his income.

#151 3 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Gene took me to Chicago where he visited Foremost Plastics

Never heard of Foremost, but based on their website they seem to be a big supplier!

#228 3 years ago

I love the way this all blew up. Thanks so much for all the great contributions!

I'm curious about IPB and how long they were around for. I hear so much about how difficult they were to deal with and it seems like they never knew what they were doing. Were they making new parts? Mostly selling NOS stuff? Were they making anything themselves, or were they just using the master list of Williams' vendors?

#241 3 years ago

It sounds like Kim was running this business while Gene was around to fund it and collect all the bragging rights.
Which podcast wants to hunt down Kim and see if she wants to do an interview??

1 week later
#531 3 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I bought a MB prototype that was supposedly Gene's. It came from that area for a low key collector that new him well. It was supposedly prototype #2. I sold it shortly after I acquired because rumor was the remakes were coming out. He also supposedly had Gene's BBB #000. I had no reason to doubt him.

Raising Frank ramp?

4 months later
1 year later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dudah.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball?tu=dudah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.