P3010021 (resized).JPG
P3010017 (resized).JPG
PA270138 (resized).JPG
PA270137 (resized).JPG
PA270136 (resized).JPG
PA270135 (resized).JPG
PA270134 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

54 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 2020 photos of what’s left of Gene’s place. Posted by dudah (3 years ago)

Post #8 Dougram’s first installment of their part of Gene’s story. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #14 Dougram part 2 Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #19 Link to an article about the history of Big Bang Bar. Posted by WODKA (3 years ago)

Post #28 Dougram part 3- some inventory arrives. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #83 Link to TOPcast episode 11, interview with Gene. Posted by wallybgood (3 years ago)

Post #87 Dougram part 5- musing about Atlas memories. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

I have some old videos from just before rick the &$&$@ came in and took everything from him. I went through the whole warehouse and helped a local collector load up 14? games from the horde.

That was before I had much expendable cash. Every game was a round number. 1000 for this, 2000 for that, 3000 for that.

In hindsight I should have taken out a loan and bought a bunch.

Fun trip eve though I left with nothing.

#4 3 years ago

Just 3 pictures I have handy.

Videos seem to have been lost to technology.

916DAEDC-59B7-43C5-B58A-E4D85A3D836A (resized).jpeg916DAEDC-59B7-43C5-B58A-E4D85A3D836A (resized).jpeg

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Do you have more of Wizards Blocks? That's the best picture I've ever seen of the playfield.

on an old camera somewhere, I have video of every single game in the multiple warehouses at that time.
I volunteered to go along for the ride, help pick out and load games, and hoped I would get something for the troubles along the way.

I got some cool memories and a bunch of pics/vids.
I should dig them up and post at some point.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

This topic hits home so closely, I am compelled to post. Some may find this interesting. It’s a walk in time from Gene’s purchase of Williams rights to production of Big Bang Bar and after, from my experiences with him. His struggles, his genius moments, his sad but funny moments, and the moments of a guy who was in over his head, but pulled through. He used misdirection at times to buy more time from pin community, to the legal folks at Williams, his competitors and others. He tried to do a lot of horse trading to get by an succeeded. I will try and write this in installments as it spans from January of 2000 to 2008. In the end you may not respect how he conducted himself, or his motives, but he did get some things going and reproduced BBB in the end.
My brother and I got into the pinball hobby in November of 1999. We met some real great folks and local pinheads in Chicago. Some great guys like Chris W., Terry and Dave N., Brad C., John “It’s Money” K. and others. Even associated with Pat C. for a time. Miss the late night pin sessions and greasy pizza. In January of 2000 I met Gene and his stepdaughter Kim at some pin show. I got to be friendly with them both, and Kim started to reach out to me and others for pin advice and technical advice at times. Just kind of worked out that way. I don’t remember the month but later that year, Gene announced he was the one who purchased the Williams rights to produce parts and games. Williams and others will dispute he had game building rights, but it was unclear. At this time, he was awaiting the arrival of two semi trucks filled with the remains of the Williams parts inventory. Kim reached out to me and my brother and a few other persons to come down to Bloomington, and help with sorting the inventory. I had no idea what an event this would be. From the amount of NOS parts to the massive bins they were stored in. We were completely unprepared for this task. In the next entry I will go through what arrived, the months it took to inventory everything, and realizing how much more than just parts were received. Williams just dumped everything into this trailer, parts or not. Will also talk about the super hot and freaky A frame building where all the Capcom stuff was stored. Holy cow there is a lot to cover. More to come.
Note, I want to go on record right now that the one person who was with us during inventory, found all the BBB artwork, mechanical drawings, parts inventory list (with parts cost and vendor who produced the prototype parts), manuals, schematics for playfield, color charts, everything you would need to go into production by accident. He was in the Capcom building and found this in a drawer. This individual can remain anonymous if he desires, but it was his pressing and suggestion to re-build BBB. Gene at the time was more consumed with the Williams inventory task ahead, and money he laid out. He didn’t have the heart or cash to tie up into another big project. He thanked this fellow for his insight and tabled it for a later discussion. I and my brother were totally disappointed he did think it was worth the effort at the time, but it did come true in the end. More on this later.
Thanks
Dougram

Looking fwd to you sharing. I love this lore of the hobby!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Thank you, Whysnow, for your permission via PM to let me post any/all of the three images into the IPDB.
Once I do that, I was hoping to note each image with the year, or month and year, when the images were made, and where. I like to do that, if I can, for the unique pieces that make rare appearances. I assumed they were somewhere at Gene's house or compound.
You did not recall when, but said those pics "were all in the main 'house warehouse' (what most would refer to as the weight room)"
Can anybody help us, to come up with the year (if not month and year) when Whysnow would have taken those pictures? I presume, Whysnow, that they were made all in the same visit and probably during some open house event?

Not during any open house.
I believe that Gene was Already in legal trouble, pinball Ramps Guys and PPS/rick were closing in on him for funds. My guess/assumption/understanding is that he was looking for quick cash to hide away before the impending PPS storm.

He was just starting to bring in some of the bigger collectors looking to buy a load of games for quick cash.

A somewhat local collector to me was invited to come buy games. I was invited along for the trip. We drove down in a huge Penske type truck.

We spent and entire day at the compound BSing w gene and the guy I went with bought something like 14 games. The only other people there were Gene and one of Gene’s helpers.
It was a super long day but quite the experience.

I am pretty sure I was one of the first people allowed in before the unloading of games really started hard core.

All the main warehouses were still full.

The best part for me was that I got about 1.5hra alone with all the games. I spent a good amount of time taking videos and just enjoying the hoard of Gene and pondering how it all got to that point. The end of his reign was near and it was ominous.

I need to find the old camera with video walk through I took to show buddies.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Looking back, don’t you wish you went to the bank, brought a huge wad of cash and bought as much as possible? I mean, damn, King Pin and everything!
That was one incredible, once-in-a-lifetime chance. I can’t wait to see your photos!

I did not really have any spare cash at that time. TBT I kind of hoped/figured the guy I was helping would toss me a bone for breaking down, packing , and loading 14 games

I really wanted a few things but Gene was a stickler on price of some. Everything was in 1000 dollar increments.

$1000 centaurs, $2000 DMDs, etc.

I remember a few very good deals that were passed up. EM matahari, a few of the one off oddballs, the wizard blocks pf (he wanted 3k for that one).

Reality is that a bunch of games were just junk to start with. I mean in current world they were all still good projects and mostly fixable, but they mostly needed love. Many were games he had bought in auction and never even turned them on. They were set up and balls never put in.

I should have bought BBB original and BBB remake number 001 (or maybe it was 000). He wanted 20k for the pair. Probably was worth it.

Big picture reality is that I have a much better collection now any way.

Gene had a bunch or repeats and classics from the 80s but also a bunch of complete crap that nobody likely would want.

It was a surreal experience.

I never once got to hang out with the collector that was buying the games. In effect those games appear to have left Genes hoard and moved about 2 hours to another hoard.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

That's his mindset in a nutshell from all the stories I've heard.

I really think it was more about “just having”. Gene claimed he just liked to be surrounded by his machines. I believe him. 1 part hoarder and 1 part hustler.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Hilton tends to get selective memory for reasons still unknown... Luckily he documents it on pinside so you can get the full story. He went with Tom (roc-noc) because Tom got the invite from Gene, and Hilton offered up free services to get to see the collection. Tom is a really good guy who wouldn't give anyone the short end of the stick.
Here is the original thread discussing the auction of the remaining IPB inventory-
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/180-pinball-machine-lot-50000?tq=&tu=Whysnow

I never claimed Tom did. He is a great guy.
you also have zero clue about what Tom and I discussed in a 5hr+ drive and 9hr day of work, but then again you have a real tendency to ASSume lots of things you don't know. kind of your MO...

What was published online at that time was far from the whole picture of what was going on, for obvious reasons...

Tom also promised to invite me over to play and hang at his warehouse once all the games were rocking or hook me up with a game in the future. It may still happen, would love to come play his awesome collection. I know he had lots of family stuff to deal with, and life tends to get in the way of pinball.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You actually did, to me, in person. But I am sure you selectively forgot your conversation with me as well.
Truly man, it's all good. I have said it before and I will said it again.... I don't care about any of the stuff you spout off (there is way too much to even try to keep up) but I won't stay quiet when you attack others that don't deserve to be attacked.
I am glad you think highly of Tom, reading it here is a different tone that what you spoke to me in person.

You are completely full of shit. I have never said anything bad about Tom and have never even spoken to you about my trip. Really odd thing for you to lie about

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Why does every topic on Pinside turn into a hate fiasco like this is?

I agree.

Very odd to have Tim come in here to spout off and attack when the thread was some cool sharing up to this.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I'm yet another guy who took some great pics ~2008 when all the parts went to PSPA and again ~2012 when all the parts (and machines and some tooling) went to Planetary.
Circa 2012 (can't actually remember precisely what year it was) I received a full tour, not hosted by Gene but by the company responsible for selling his assets during the bankruptcy, of the house and all of Gene's building before Planetary took possession. I had been to Gene's compound and satellite building many times before and thought I had seen everything, but on that day I was taken through several rooms and buildings I had never been in before. In short, it was a crazy, surreal world this man had created.
I hope I still have the pics somewhere, but I fear they may be lost for the same reason so many pics are lost; digital black holes. If I can find them I will post them here.
Terry.

please do. It is very interesting to see all these things and piece it all together.

There is surely a book or multiple worth of neat pinball nerding out to be had around the life and personality of the man and the world he created around him.

#64 3 years ago

He invited you along yet never let you come over and play?!? What a tool!
That’s practically common courtesy!
I get most my muscle to come along for any pinball picks up merely on the promise that we will spend the rest of the day in my arcade playing my collection after pickup!

Added yesterday: Edit: I guess this isn’t entirely true!
Continue reading for the full story.

nah, it is true. Despite the stories Tim is making up.

I was promised an invite to come play all the games, 'hang out for a day once the warehouse was all done" , and "make you a deal on a future game" once he got everything sorted. It never happened, but I guess it still could.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Sorry man, that is where the line is drawn. I will never lie, ever. It's how I was raised, and how I raise my kids. Like I said before, you either have super terrible memory, or just talk so much shit all the time, you don't remember what you have said. If your memory is truly that terrible, you may want to see what can be done about that. If it is because you have skewed the balance between fact vs. volume, dial back the volume and focus on the facts.
One of us is a real-life local (regional?) punchline, and the other of us is a cartoon punchline. I sleep well at night knowing I am just a cartoon.
The last 10,000 words (as always) are all yours. Good luck character assassinating me, you will need it.

I have never known you to lie before.
Troll, attack, steer a good thread completely off topic at the chance to make a personal attack on someone you dont like... sure, but lying is out of character for you.

For the record Tom is a good guy and I have never once talked badly about him (esp to you since we dont even converse outside of the occasional online back and forth similar to this where you come out of the woodwork) . As much as you claim to not be a liar, the reality is I have zero problem talking to someone I have an issue with. If I felt Tom was a jerk to me then I would talk to him about it, not you... That is obvious to anyone that knows me.

#101 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Me and a couple friends also took the tour. I took no pics but the other guys did. Maybe Brian Millard has them?
It was obvious Gene had no interest whatsoever in selling anything, no matter what you offered. He just loved knowing they were all his.
The sad thing was, we weren't allowed to turn any of them on. So many of them had water and corrosion issues. Something like 700 games just sitting there rotting.

It would be neat to try and get phtos form over the years to see how things changed.

I got the impression that in the early days Gene would go to an auction and buy a large % of the game at that auction, often bringing them home and never doing anything with them. I remember inspecting a few that were in a row and then had sequential auction numbers written on the bottom of the cabinets.

#126 3 years ago

thanks for sharing those photos and stories!

really do love this stuff!

I found the old camera which should have video and now need to find a power cable and the proper way to recover them.

#144 3 years ago

2 more pics

I also found the videos/ got them

What is the best way to get a video up? Can they be uploaded to pinside?

P2192277 (resized).JPGP2192277 (resized).JPGP2192278 (resized).JPGP2192278 (resized).JPG
#146 3 years ago

attempt 1 for first video

#147 3 years ago

#2 video

#148 3 years ago

#3 video

Sorry for quality, but hopefully these are still cool for some to see
As you can see, I was just trying to quickly categorize what was there for passing along to friends that may be interested in buying/ knowing what was there.

Fun for me to look back and see so many great games. Games I did not have as much interest in back then but do now, and also wish I had one just for the fun of the history

#149 3 years ago

#4 video

all for now

#153 3 years ago

Damn!!! You guys seriously weren’t kidding.
That’s kinda sad seeing him standing with 4 or 5 copies of the same game, just sitting on them to show them off too people.
Some very cool titles in the mix.
He even had an Orbitor 1!
I think many of us understand the thrill of having a cool, curious collection, especially rarities and coveted goods. But as stewards of history, I feel we do a disservice to these fantastic machines by keeping them stashed away and not fixing or enjoying them. Sad he left many of them in dire states of disrepair.
Gene sounds like a wild guy, after years of reading about him, I had been hoping to meet him at a show, and was very sad to hear of his recent passing

I genuinely think Gene bought games he did not remember owning a copy of.
I genuinely also had an eye opening experience from going there. I to was sad to see so many games rotting and in disrepair. The thought of being mad even... The reality is Gene in effect actually saved many of these games from hitting the dump or being parted out. He in essence was just the hold over while the hobby boomed. Many of them actually did likely end up in collectors homes. Heck , I even wonder if I may have one of those games without even realizing it was Gene's at one time. I realized that for whatever reason, Gene got joy out of just having those games and in the grand scheme of things, it was his money to decide what to do with it.

Big picture, I feel fortunate to have met and spent time with him that day.
He was an odd fellow, but pinball seems to attract that.

#155 3 years ago

seems like most of the buying for Gene slowed way down at some point?

I noticed that he was heavily focused on older games and by the 90s era stuff, it was not as well represented. I know more of them were in the weight room, but still a small overall % of the colleciton.

Would be cool to have known some of the timing behind how it all grew.

Also seems like little changed between 2008 and 2013. Some games left, but many were in the exact same spots. Just more insulation, racoon poop

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I THINK you mean "just before Rick came in and assumed possession of everything he legally bought at a federal-government-forced auction due to Gene being a massively leveraged college-town slumlord who got into unbelievable financial trouble from bank margin calls and IRS inquisition when they got wind of his mostly-cash business during the crash of 2008."

I dont think rick is any peach or lacking of culpability. The truth of it all is likely somewhere in the middle and lost to he said, he said sort of stuff.

I always wondered, how was Rick the one to be able to buy it all at the federal auction? did other have a shot and he just outbid?

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I probably wouldn't care if he hadn't personally tried to screw me over.

can you share what he did to screw you over.
I know he wronged lots of people that never wanted to discuss when he was still around.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'd like to think there's something good in everyone, but it's hard to say that about Gene. The man just seemed to want to screw every and anyone he dealt with.
Some say he was such a wonderful guy to be able to make BBB and he must have lost thousands doing so. I call bullshit. I've talked with some who were involved in the process and they say it wasn't anywhere close to as bad as Gene claimed. And most of why it cost him extra was because of himself. He took for granted he could just go to suppliers and they would make him the parts he needed. With some he could but with some others, they basically told him to go fly a kite. They may have told him to go do something else to himself, but I'm trying to be polite. They knew of his reputation and refused to work with him no matter what he was willing to pay.
Here's another story, if you really want to know what the guy was like. Once Gene had most of the BBB parts he needed, he was ready to start assembly. Problem is, he had no idea how to do that. He then hired a very prominent individual in the pinball community to help with this. This guy set up various assembly stations and told Gene he would hang around and help until 10 games were made. In return, this individual was to get a BBB for free. I forget the exact details, but after 8 or so were made, Gene told him he wasn't needed anymore. When asked about the free BBB, Gene said sorry, you only helped with 8 not 10. This individual did eventually get a game at maybe half the cost.
And trust me, this individual isn't the only one to get screwed by Gene while making BBB.

that is horrible!

I think I would have made sure #8 left in the back of my car as payment

#166 3 years ago

Is his wife still around in BloNo?

He had a tone of family it appears.
https://www.pantagraph.com/obituaries/gene-cunningham/article_e00b3c76-2f75-5057-8ea1-ee0204848271.html

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Looks like a glorified driveway. Wouldn't be surprised that if you build a new street on your own dime, the city lets you name it (within reason).

That is how I have seen it work. You develop it, you file the paperwork to name it, it is yours.

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes she is and your question prompted me to call her just now. She's 80 years old, in good health and living on her own in Gene's childhood home.
She's one of the sweetest ladies you could ever meet and she misses her husband very, very much. Gene married way above his station.

glad to hear it. It does sounds like one of Gene's endearing characteristics was his pure love and infatuation for his wife.

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Rick put in the original bid and anyone could have upped that bid until the sale deadline.
I looked over every inch of what was for sale and decided to not place a higher bid. There was a lot of value there, but there was also years and years of work to get it all moved, organized, identified, pictures taken, loaded to a website, etc. To attack the *project* properly, one would also need about another 5000 square feet of warehouse space.
At the end of the day I guess I just wasn't up to the challenge.

thanks

WHat was the bid?
did anyone bid it up at all?

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

It's not my place to say what the winning bid was since it was not PBL.
I was simply clarifying that other bids could have been made once the original bid was placed. Were they? I don't know. I didn't end up raising the bid. That's my business and I feel comfortable sharing that bit of info. Beyond that, I am not at liberty to say, sorry.
I found it odd that Gene had so much stuff left in ~2012. About 4 years earlier he had supposedly sold everything to another pinball parts seller(s), yet he still had rooms, no buildings, full of parts in his possession when I took the pre-bankruptcy tour of his properties in ~2012.

Was it an actual federal bankruptcy auction? How did it all work. I was around at that time but never even heard of the actual auction happening.

I knew of the cash sell offs prior, and of course the PPS sell off (or attempted sell off? Of the junk they did not want). But I never heard of the actual auction from the bank. Would be interested in seeing how far in front of that auction the cash sell off was happening.

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

but he died penniless in a rundown ramshackle place.

I have to wondered if that even bothered him?

I have to guess in his mind, he enjoyed himself along the way and was fine with it? no idea, but that is the impression I got.

#244 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Another insightful question, Hilton.
It did bother Gene.
Periodically over the last few years of his life, myself and others would get a phone call from Gene.
He had lost everything with the exception of his parents home that he and Georgie lived in and that house small and run down. His calls were disguised as some type of purpose but really he wanted to talk about glory days or some fantasy scheme he had for a come back. But I could tell that his life had no direction, nothing for him to control and no one seeking his attention. He seemed desperate to be relevant again but I think he secretly knew it was over.
It's all very sad and I've reflected on that as a life lesson for my own failings as a person.

Interesting and thx for sharing.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I didn’t know him and i really would like to know who he was (at the beginning of his pinball story). Distributor, employee in pinball industry ...?

Good question. Where did it all start for gene and pinball? Why pinball?

I know the guy was a hustler and always making deals in life, but how did he settle on pinball.

1 month later
#569 3 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

Also Hilton can you make those videos you posted public again?

sorry I was contacted after posting them and asked to remove them.

I dont have time for BS and it was just easier to remove them than be hassled in this case (I guess I am getting old and losing my edge/ other more important things in life)

#575 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

And the legal grounds for asking someone to remove a personal video of a bunch of pinball stuff is what?

I dont beleive there are any legal grounds, but I dont have the time currently or desire to deal with some peoples BS.

Just a few years ago I would have told them to suck on an egg...
Just too busy elsewhere and enough world stress already to not want to deal with some people. Sorry guys. They were just videos of me running through the warehouses near the end of all things IPB. Basically showed what was up and you got a general idea for final condition of the place on its twilight hour.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.