P3010021 (resized).JPG
P3010017 (resized).JPG
PA270138 (resized).JPG
PA270137 (resized).JPG
PA270136 (resized).JPG
PA270135 (resized).JPG
PA270134 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

54 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 2020 photos of what’s left of Gene’s place. Posted by dudah (3 years ago)

Post #8 Dougram’s first installment of their part of Gene’s story. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #14 Dougram part 2 Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #19 Link to an article about the history of Big Bang Bar. Posted by WODKA (3 years ago)

Post #28 Dougram part 3- some inventory arrives. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Post #83 Link to TOPcast episode 11, interview with Gene. Posted by wallybgood (3 years ago)

Post #87 Dougram part 5- musing about Atlas memories. Posted by dougram69 (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ballypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from mjsbowl:

Thank you for sharing your experiences Dougram.

Oh my god this is the biggest load of bullshit I have read, none of what you say is even close to true

I have all the contracts between IPB and Williams and what gene did and didn't buy, could and couldn't do

Williams never licensed James from Pinball Inc to make any Ramps

Gene had exclusive rights to make replacement parts for 5 Years then non exclusive after that, and never had any rights to make Bally Williams Games ever.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I have to admit, Wayne, your version is what I've always heard. And that was from those who initially tried to work with Gene in the very early days.

Yes I agree the guy is repeating what Gene Said to him, however what gene said 90% of the time was crap.

He said he owned Bally Williams etc etc, he was only ever a parts Licensee, exclusive for 5 years then non exclusive, wms could sell licenses to 100 people if they wanted to.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

He still has them. He was very helpful in allowing me to document his when I was building mine, also enjoyed exchanging a lot about the design history on the game with him. They work very well for how far along in the design process they were, and I rest easy knowing they're with the current owner and in good hands!

not all are in his hands, I have a few crates as well

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

While it's true Gene was a compulsive weaver of fiction, I believe a ratio of 90% is harsh. But I take your meaning.
Gene would base his stories on the truth and make them grandiose using exaggeration and yes, pure invention. The majority of his dishonesty were in gray areas that could neither be proved or disproved. Consequently he was rarely challenged and he never matured as a person in that regard.
- Life lesson alert for some people if they care about reputation.
One of the most common and repeated stories from Gene was that he lost a million dollars remaking Big Bang Bar. I can’t disprove that but many of us believe he actually made a tiny profit, broke even or lost a much smaller amount. - Gene was Gene and his being pretentious in no way diminishes his legacy of resurrecting and building those high-quality, beautiful BBB machines.
As far as Dougram recounting his history here, I find him highly credible. I’m hanging on to every word he writes and memories are now coming back for me. I don’t know who he is but he was definitely there based on his detailed descriptions and accuracy. Please carry on, Dougram.

We were talking about the Wizard Blocks whitewoods and you may be confusing that with parts.

That's exactly what I have

#212 3 years ago

BBB would never have been made without one person Kerry Stair

Also I was involved in the Bid for IPB and withdrew my bid at 500,000 US letting Matt and rick buy it

#213 3 years ago

Mr. Gillard:

You have previously expressed an interest in the assets of Gene and Georgianna Cunningham and/or the stock in Illinois Pinball. I am writing to inform you that I have received an offer of $500,000 for assets of Gene and Georgianna Cunningham including the stock in Illinois Pinball and have asked for Court permission to accept it. Attached is a Notice of Intent to Sell which sets forth the assets being sold and the conditions of the sale. Anyone who wishes to bid more than $500,000 for the assets listed will have to do ALL of the following:

1. File an objection to the sale on or before May 29, 2014
2. Bid an amount in excess of $500,000
3. Accept the same terms and conditions as the current bidder
4. Be willing and able to tender earnest money in the amount of 10% of the bid
5. Be willing and able to pay the balance of the purchase price within 3 business days after an Order is entered approving the sale
6. The successful bidder will have to remove all of the property from its current location within 45 days from the date an Order is entered approving the sale.

ALL OF THE PROPERTY INCLUDING THE STOCK IS SOLD “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ORAL OR WRITTEN, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR USE.

Please contact me if you need further information.

#215 3 years ago

Wayne
I have a inventory of the pinball Machines
In the Cunningham personal bankruptcy
estate ...
This consist of 302 pinball machines
As far as Illinois Pinball is concerned
The only asset that was personally
Owned by Cunningham is the stock
In Illinois Pinball which would make the
Buyer of the stock the owner of
Illinois Pin Ball which includes the parts
And tooling,
However their is a pending law suit against
Illinois Pinball in the area of $200,000. Pinball Inc
So this would be a concern for the buyer,
And out of the purview of the Trustee
Because I P is not in bankruptcy .
We have been engaged with buyers who
Have expressed an interest In buying
The stock and the inventory .
Would you be interested in this package?
Thanks

#216 3 years ago
CUNNINGHAM ASSETS.pdfCUNNINGHAM ASSETS.pdf
#218 3 years ago

click to view all

FILEDNOTICEOFINTENTTOSELL.pdfFILEDNOTICEOFINTENTTOSELL.pdf
#219 3 years ago

Click to view

Game-Sale.pdfGame-Sale.pdf
#293 3 years ago

Gene bought what was left of TAG a company Williams owned that made playfields, Williams was still finding pinball parts almost 10 years after they closed, we were told come and get them or they were going to the tip.

Some were tooling we didn't work out what part the tool made and others were parts like blank non populated circuit boards etc.

Gene paid $300k for 300 pallets of parts from Williams

#327 3 years ago

Those games were shipped as used games to Europe to avoid ROHS

#379 3 years ago

Gene was buying pinball magic machines used to get boards to make a small number of BBB about 12 I was told.

the county said a lot of his rentals were not fit to live in and they bulldozed them and took him to court for unpaid rates and taxes and the values dropped on his other properties so he owed more to the bank than they were worth, he lost $1500 a game on BBB

#380 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What was the “Williams Process” for making playfields? Shoot, what was the “Data East Process”? I had a Hook for a while and while the art style was never my favorite, the Stealth Coat had held up very well over the years. So if Gary was “stuck” with the DE way I don’t know that it was really all that bad of a thing. Would love to know the differences though.

I can tell you that, they used a specialty coating that had a milky look to seal the playfields before printing, then clearcoated

that's why they were so hard

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Could it be something as simple as dunking the playfield in a glue solution to firm it up?

no it was a type of resin, 2 part mix and rock hard

#384 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If he lost money on every BBB why was Kingpin even being discussed or make 12 more BBB games with used boards?
A lot of money to lose for the sake of vanity. Your talking over a quarter million lost on 180 BBB games.

he plucked $4500 price out of his arse based on stern prices at the time
and Gene told me himself as I had ordered 5 games from him, he lost $1500 a game, actually he said $300k he lost

he was selling the extra BBB for more money at the time, and Kingpin was more expensive, he said they had sanded the FPGA or reverse engineered it for Kingpin

#392 3 years ago

he went broke twice
once selling all the ipb inventory and then personally

how do you go from a millionaire to being broke?

Make pinballs

#436 3 years ago

PPS has cad drawings for Williams BBB
inc Lamp Boards source code etc

#506 3 years ago

Kerry Stair would have a ton of Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ballypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball?tu=Ballypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.