P3010021 (resized).JPG
P3010017 (resized).JPG
PA270138 (resized).JPG
PA270137 (resized).JPG
PA270136 (resized).JPG
PA270135 (resized).JPG
PA270134 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

54 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 695 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 14.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I was on the list to get one also and $8000 sounds right to me but like I said, I wasn't sure. Thanks for posting that.

Quoted from RWH:

That will likely piss the current BBB owners off if a remake actually happens.

I wonder if the people that had owned the first 10 or so felt when Gene built the remaining games from inventory?

#402 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Lost actual money or just lost potential money?
Because he seemed to realize after the fact how much more people were willing to pay once there was a finished product in a box

Lost actual money..

#403 3 years ago

I would like to know how much actual inventory was brought to Gene concerning Pinball Circus? I know in the past some items were sold on Bay Area Amusements as I bought one of the magician like characters.

They speak of 3 Pinball Circuses and I'm sure there had to be a fair share ( not a tremendous amount)of parts, cabs, playfields etc...
Were those just shelved and forgotten about or did Williams tend to fill their dumpster faster than normal, similair to when they bought Bally out and donated a ton of inventory to the dump.?

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

But would it be a Capcom or a WMS BBB?
- Almost certainly not going to use Capcom boards - we'll get emulation
- Capcom flipper mechs? Probably not, they do not exist in quantity... will get standard WMS/CGC mechs
- Cabinet build, will we get Capcom playfield lift, backbox speaker enclosures, etc?
Will be interesting to see the re-remake if it happens. Unless it comes with a software upgrade, I have no interest in it. I played the hell out of my #112 before selling to a very nice European fella, and have little interest in playing it again. Beautiful looker but very mediocre gameplay.

I love the pf layout, but the code is super shallow. I've always hoped someone would do something similar to Cactus Canyon Continued for BBB.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Lost actual money or just lost potential money?
Because he seemed to realize after the fact how much more people were willing to pay once there was a finished product in a box

Haha lost $1500 a game or in other words I realized too late I could have sold all of them for $6k no issue.

#406 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

he said they had sanded the FPGA or reverse engineered it for Kingpin

Gene thought the same chip in Zingy Bingy might not be locked so they looked into getting it. It was locked. Then he talked about using it and sanding ? it, to what, look inside ? That is when they found the original designer and looked into him making them.

Quoted from metallik:

Hard to say. There was one Williams BBB not finished when they closed.

Quoted from chad:

The price for King Pin was at or about $8000 a game.

They were talking $7500. Everybody that got BBB for a lot less howled even though they doubled their money on BBB at the time if they sold them. That probably slowed things down as far as making KP and trying to get people to put money up front for it.

LTG : )

#407 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Zero f**ks given. Anyone who bought a Cunningham BBB has quadrupled their "investment," assuming they didn't already flip it. If you're afraid of a remake, sell it now. If you like playing your game, keep it.

#408 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Beautiful looker but very mediocre gameplay.

Metallik knows the score. If BBB was originally built in quantity it would be an average DMD title today. $3.5k?

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Gene thought the same chip in Zingy Bingy might not be locked so they looked into getting it. It was locked. Then he talked about using it and sanding ? it, to what, look inside ? That is when they found the original designer and looked into him making them.

Hard to say. There was one Williams BBB not finished when they closed.

They were talking $7500. Everybody that got BBB for a lot less howled even though they doubled their money on BBB at the time if they sold them. That probably slowed things down as far as making KP and trying to get people to put money up front for it.

$8000.00 for the people who did not buy BBB, $7500 for those who did purchase ....

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Metallik knows the score. If BBB was originally built in quantity it would be an average DMD title today. $3.5k?

I've played it plenty...It's campy and fun.

I'd put it at a similar value as Creech in today's market, if they had made them in quantity.

Both are relatively shallow, with Creech probably being slightly more "difficult" to get huge jackpots, as opposed to BBB's mode based play and getting to "Big Bang" wizard mode.

Both are very nice to look at. Both have "adult" themes, obviously with BBB slightly more so.

So yeah, I think CFTBL and BBB would be very close value wise today.

#411 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Is it really a concern?

Several TBL were sold over 15k. Does finally DP suck to built them at 10k or 12k (can’t remember)?

Anyway, i would love to get this BBB back, if possible with a polished code. Please PPS/CGC, remade it again!

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

- Almost certainly not going to use Capcom boards - we'll get emulation
- Capcom flipper mechs? Probably not, they do not exist in quantity... will get standard WMS/CGC mechs
- Cabinet build, will we get Capcom playfield lift, backbox speaker enclosures, etc?

Yeah, those are great questions and agree it won't be Capcom parts or boards. Does anyone know what Chicago Gaming is using currently for their remakes? That would be an indicator of what to expect.

For the Kingpin remake I'm pretty sure Circus Maximus is using P-ROC and I'll guess, Williams mechs. That's what I *THINK* but maybe Compy would be kind enough to chime in on that.

I'm on the list of Kinpin buyers and actually prefer that they use P-ROC. I don't care about original parts, I just want the game and upgraded to modern works for me.

#413 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A few years ago I thought it was unlikely. These days I'm thinking it is more than likely they will be made as Rick from Planetary Pinball announced BBB as one of the top contenders. When, is anybody's guess but it has to be pretty high up in the cue for Chicago Gaming if they do it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-more-speculation-planetary-pinball-to-remake-mb-bbb-tom-and-cc
Circus Maximus is re-making Kingpin and they posted of an agreement with Planetary Pinball. Make of that what you will.

Kingpin is finally coming alive?

#414 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm on their list of Kinpin buyers and actually prefer that they use P-ROC. I don't care about original parts, I just want the game and upgraded to modern works for me.

Why on earth would anyone use vintage electronics from the 90's? That would be crazy when there is over the counter generic hardware available.

#415 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Is it really a concern?
Several TBL were sold over 15k. Does finally DP suck to built them at 10k or 12k (can’t remember)?
Anyway, i would love to get this BBB back, if possible with a polished code. Please PPS/CGC, remade it again!

Not for me but those that have one it may be a real concern.

#416 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Not for me but those that have one it may be a real concern.

But no one else in the whole world cares. No one was promised anyrhing. If someone paid $15K to $20K that is completely 100 percent on them.

People who bought them at $4500 will still have double value.

#417 3 years ago

Kingpin is finally coming alive?

Yes, they've had some stumbling blocks but continue moving forward.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here

#418 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I love the pf layout, but the code is super shallow. I've always hoped someone would do something similar to Cactus Canyon Continued for BBB.

Quoted from yancy:

The code definitely needs a polish before any re-remake IMHO:

Most of the modes are not worth shooting for, only babescanner (10M left orbits) is really worth it. Funny that the right-orbit mode (much harder shot) starts at 2M, 4M, 6M a shot..

The 2 ball alien multiball is the best part of the game - good risk/reward and fun to play.

The main thing to go for during the game is the top tubedancer mode (the one that always returns the left ramp shot to the left flipper) - you can easily backhand the ramp over and over for 10, 12, 14 etc million since the ball diverts early and doesn't even need to make it to the top of the ramp.

Overall "strategy" is to basically plow through all the modes (can start new modes during multiball so no setup needed, just be in MB as much as possible and shoot the drops+ramp as soon as the old mode expires) and get to big bang.

Once in big bang, during ballsaver soft plunge balls off the shooter switch but not into play, game will eject a new ball. Get three in the shooter lane and play 1ball big bang til you drain, separate another ball, play it, repeat for the 3rd. You get a scoring penalty for the ball sitting on the switch but not the others in the lane.

There's other issues but those were the bigger ones.

#419 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

You bet, just like everyone that owned original MM, and AFM. It's a money grab for Planetary pinball, thats how they think when it comes to the collectors. Same goes for all the prototype backglasses and translights........

John

#420 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The code definitely needs a polish before any re-remake IMHO:
Most of the modes are not worth shooting for, only babescanner (10M left orbits) is really worth it. Funny that the right-orbit mode (much harder shot) starts at 2M, 4M, 6M a shot..
The 2 ball alien multiball is the best part of the game - good risk/reward and fun to play.
The main thing to go for during the game is the top tubedancer mode (the one that always returns the left ramp shot to the left flipper) - you can easily backhand the ramp over and over for 10, 12, 14 etc million since the ball diverts early and doesn't even need to make it to the top of the ramp.
Overall "strategy" is to basically plow through all the modes (can start new modes during multiball so no setup needed, just be in MB as much as possible and shoot the drops+ramp as soon as the old mode expires) and get to big bang.
Once in big bang, during ballsaver soft plunge balls off the shooter switch but not into play, game will eject a new ball. Get three in the shooter lane and play 1ball big bang til you drain, separate another ball, play it, repeat for the 3rd. You get a scoring penalty for the ball sitting on the switch but not the others in the lane.
There's other issues but those were the bigger ones.

It’s interesting they don’t use the ball trough to verify the number of balls in play for the wizard mode, like how any other multiball works.

#421 3 years ago

A remake, of a remake, of an original, should Chicago Gaming produce them.
Big Bang Bar would set the record for being manufactured three times by three different company's and in three different decades.

Could be a future Jeopardy question.

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It’s interesting they don’t use the ball trough to verify the number of balls in play for the wizard mode, like how any other multiball works.

They do. You cheese the mode by stacking the balls in the shooter lane. The game has no way to determine if the balls are in the lane or banging around the playfield, except the ball sitting on the shooter lane switch.

Most games have an autolauncher which prevents this cheese. TOTAN and WCS94 wiz modes are harder to do this and it's less beneficial anyway.

#423 3 years ago

PLEASE!!!!!

Quoted from Whysnow:on an old camera somewhere, I have video of every single game in the multiple warehouses at that time.
I volunteered to go along for the ride, help pick out and load games, and hoped I would get something for the troubles along the way.
I got some cool memories and a bunch of pics/vids.
I should dig them up and post at some point.

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

PLEASE!!!!!

Go back a few pages he already posted the videos

#425 3 years ago

Only lost 320K on BBB he says.......

#426 3 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Only lost 320K on BBB he says.......

Yes, on paper PMI lost money making BBB but IPB made money selling PMI the Capcom parts.

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Go back a few pages he already posted the videos

Videos have all been made private however. They have been for the past 48 hours atleast which was when i first tried to play them.

Video links start here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball/page/3#post-5726893

#428 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Videos have all been made private however. They have been for the past 48 hours atleast which was when i first tried to play them.
Video links start here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball/page/3#post-5726893

Ok sorry IDK that

#429 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For the Kingpin remake I'm pretty sure Circus Maximus is using P-ROC and I'll guess, Williams mechs. That's what I *THINK* but maybe Compy would be kind enough to chime in on that.

I'm on the list of Kinpin buyers and actually prefer that they use P-ROC. I don't care about original parts, I just want the game and upgraded to modern works for me.

Good question! Correct, we use standard off the shelf parts where available. The core of the system is a P-ROC based board, and the game logic is emulating the MC68000 boards in the system for the original code. The PC is an embedded linux system just like CGC/Stern/others use. We did use Capcom flipper assemblies which are PWMed single wound coils. The timing and power characteristics of double wound coils are a bit different, but it's something we're testing with just to make sure that everything is readily available and servicable.

I've got a Capcom test fixture that I made on the desk behind me, and I'm constantly in admiration of the engineering feats they had made. I think the same way about the Pinball 2000 board system. However when we were doing the technical scope for this game, I'd calculated that it was much faster to just emulate and rewrite all of the driver board logic. Basically what you see on the running Kingpins from CMG is about 6 weeks of software engineering performed without physical access to the game over a facetime connection to an iPhone sitting on the playfield.

Definitely a fun project to be involved with, and seeing the game boot into the attract mode for the first time was a "eureka" moment for sure.

-- Jimmy

#430 3 years ago

I have one of the non naughty CFTBL repro playfields still in a box

#431 3 years ago

This may be kind of off-topic, but I want to thank Ace Pinball and Cirqus Maximus for making pinball history accessible to all of us. I’ve bought a bunch of high-quality prints from him/them over the years, and I’m the proud owner of a big stack of greenbar paper: the BOM for Algar. When I open a pinball museum, and this WILL happen, all of these artifacts will be prominently on display. Don’t be surprised if you go to the restroom to wash your hands and you’re surrounded by Algar BOM.

#432 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

This may be kind of off-topic, but I want to thank Ace Pinball and Cirqus Maximus for making pinball history accessible to all of us. I’ve bought a bunch of high-quality prints from him/them over the years, and I’m the proud owner of a big stack of greenbar paper: the BOM for Algar. When I open a pinball museum, and this WILL happen, all of these artifacts will be prominently on display. Don’t be surprised if you go to the restroom to wash your hands and you’re surrounded by Algar BOM.

But I won’t be truly happy until I have some kind of Big Dick.

#433 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I have one of the non naughty CFTBL repro playfields still in a box

I completely forgot about those. That was a first and really caused a stir back then.

#434 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

We did use Capcom flipper assemblies which are PWMed single wound coils.

This is very cool. Did you find a stash or are you having new assemblies made up?

#436 3 years ago

PPS has cad drawings for Williams BBB
inc Lamp Boards source code etc

#437 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

PPS has cad drawings for Williams BBB
inc Lamp Boards source code etc

Project was never finished, though. Pretty much no DMD work IIRC, though I think most of the rules were in place. WPC flippers had a hard time making that ramp as-was.

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I completely forgot about those. That was a first and really caused a stir back then. [quoted image][quoted image]

Rotation of 90° of the « I » would have been better

#439 3 years ago

Rotation of 90° of the « I » would have been better

LMAO! It took me all this time to understand your comment. Worth the wait!

#440 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I see ads for that all over the internet

#441 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

TMI.

#442 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I'm yet another guy who took some great pics ~2008 when all the parts went to PSPA and again ~2012 when all the parts (and machines and some tooling) went to Planetary.
Circa 2012 (can't actually remember precisely what year it was) I received a full tour, not hosted by Gene but by the company responsible for selling his assets during the bankruptcy, of the house and all of Gene's building before Planetary took possession. I had been to Gene's compound and satellite building many times before and thought I had seen everything, but on that day I was taken through several rooms and buildings I had never been in before. In short, it was a crazy, surreal world this man had created.
I hope I still have the pics somewhere, but I fear they may be lost for the same reason so many pics are lost; digital black holes. If I can find them I will post them here.
Terry.

thanks tTerry
I have thousands of pictures of every factory and the day we together there
lots listed on my old webs it and video's of the Pinball 2000
I still remember loading those 9 footy foot containers worth of parts and machines out of the factories

#443 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

[quoted image]

I have the black railed one in my showroom still
not sure what happened to the other 2

#444 3 years ago

After reading through this thread and keeping up with it, I realized.

Big Bang bar is the one they need to remake. Talk about printing money.

I would plant kingpin right behind it. These are the remakes I would love to see.

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I would plant kingpin right behind it. These are the remakes I would love to see.

Tinfoil hat on — this entire thread was timed to get us excited for the BBBrr announcement!

#446 3 years ago
Quoted from JoshPA:

Tinfoil hat on — this entire thread was timed to get us excited for the BBBrr announcement!

You take yours off?

#447 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Seems to me the major factor in the desirability of BBB is its exclusiveness, play wise seems to be no big shakes.

Unless they update the rules I don't see a pile of them running out the door as the exclusivity is gone.

Polish and balance the rules, add a color DMD and it might give it some legs.

Parties of the originals will be happy as will folks buying the 2.0 version.

#448 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Seems to me the major factor in the desirability of BBB is its exclusiveness, play wise seems to be no big shakes.
Unless they update the rules I don't see a pile of them running out the door as the exclusivity is gone.
Polish and balance the rules, add a color DMD and it might give it some legs.
Parties of the originals will be happy as will folks buying the 2.0 version.

Pretty much same story as kingpin

#449 3 years ago

I think Kingpin is way more fun than BBB.

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Pretty much same story as kingpin

Kingpin was more developed than BBB. The ones most people have played didn't have the ramp optos and other things not working.

The one I had here, we got everything working. The game is a blast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 209.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 695 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball/page/9?hl=goodomens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.