P3010021 (resized).JPG
P3010017 (resized).JPG
PA270138 (resized).JPG
PA270137 (resized).JPG
PA270136 (resized).JPG
PA270135 (resized).JPG
PA270134 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

54 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 695 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
#351 3 years ago

Maybe the actual numbers should be presented. I am sure they are someplace (maybe the accounting books sold off in the auction), maybe with family, or maybe lost in the fire that destroyed most of the buildings on that impressive property. I would like to think if the real numbers came out, we ALL may pause and be glad we have the few remaining people making the games we love. RIP Gene - You left one heck of a legacy!

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from mjsbowl:

Maybe the actual numbers should be presented.

Somebody more intimate with the BBB game-specific parts could sit down and rough-up a crude BOM.

I remember doing it back during that period for myself... and I couldn't get over $2500 to make one. Keep in mind, you have to know wholesale costs based on *quantity* manufacture. For instance, pop bumpers wouldn't cost what you see at Marco to buy ONE or THREE... you'd have them molded fresh, in quantities of 1000, in Chicago, for like $1 each. Bulb sockets by the 5000. Dimes each. And so on.

The BBB playfields were "free" ... Gene didn't pay a cent for them. So put those on the BOM as $0.00. I know this for a fact. I'll elaborate a bit below. I think somebody earlier in the thread explained the backstory too.

In fact, Chicago Gaming (CGC) was so pissed at Gene during that era, that it almost ruined CPR's ability to work with the Duba's.

Back in 2007 or so, we had really wanted to switch from the initial baltic birch plywood stock we started CPR with, to the "real deal" playfield gameboard stock. We had found the ACTUAL mill that was still doing gameboard stock (the last place doing it). They were producing it exclusively for CGC, who were making Stern's playfields. They were called American Hardwoods (formerly Weber Inc.) and were located in Wisconsin. They wouldn't let us order any gameboard stock, a 'secret recipe' they had been doing for decades, treating it like Kentucky Fried Chicken's 11 herbs & spices. Not unless we had permission from CGC.

So this is where we had to reach out and meet Roger Duba... thee patriarch of Chicago Gaming Corp.

Roger was quite the character. Old and tough. But sweet as pie once you broke through, got comfortable with you, and lowered his defences. His main beef with me was that I MUST NOT be working with (or for) Gene Cunningham... and that not one penny of CPR playfields went to Gene's pocket (LOL). There could be not one stitch of involvement between IPB and CPR ... or Roger wasn't going to help us at all.

Roger loved to talk on the phone once he got comfortable. And we got comfortable! That is when he told me the entire BBB playfield story, and clarified why he had to vet us for IPB involvement. Yes, it is true that Gene 'held them over a barrel' to force their hand to make the BBB playfields, to cover a made-up "fee" that Gene wanted, for use of some kind of a patent CGC was allegedly breaching - and Gene threatened to sue. So under this duress, they grit their teeth, caved and made the BBB playfields. Gene had said that's all he needed to make everything square. So they did them... but man, Roger simply *seethed* in hatred for Gene. It was palpable. (On a side note, Gene had essentially already revealed this story in 2005 when we visited [see my BBB playfield photos earlier]. Standing right there, at the racks of BBB playfields, Gene told us "You know what, I didn't even pay anything for these - Chicago Gaming had owed me, so I had them pay me in playfields" or something to that effect)

So I assured Roger that we had recently completely cut ties with Gene, and were working with Wayne Gillard Mr. Pinball Australia instead. In fact, under that arrangement, we were actually COMPETITION to Gene. At least in Gene's eyes. Roger loved that ! I expressed my desire to make the best repro playfields, using his exclusive real-deal wood, and thus way better playfields than Gene (or his partners) could ever produce. So Roger Duba agreed to allow us access to the American Hardwoods runs of gameboard stock (which they ran once or twice a year for Roger). We were so happy. Roger personally called the president of the mill and instructed them to do any business with CPR that we wanted, and the rest is history.

We had a few good years with American Hardwoods, until their parent company closed and liquidated that mill to pay off a bankruptcy somewhere else in the country. But the president there, in his last days before they locked the place, passed the gameboard 'secret recipe' over to another nearby competitor - and referred us to them to carry on the legacy of that wood. Even set up a conference call to make introductions between us. We've been getting our wood from that mill ever since, trucking it up from Wisconsin USA to Nova Scotia Canada. Years later we even tweaked the original recipe, turning the dark brown cores (usually sweet gum) to white ash, and tripling the thickness of the face veneers. Roger and CGC never came along on that mill switchover (he didn't like that mill or something) and they decided to source their wood elsewhere. I don't know how that turned out for them. It's probably been a decade since we've talked to CGC. Does anybody know if ol' Roger is still with us ?

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So Dayhuff - how did you come by the BBB Translight ?

Back before the BBB start up they were everywhere. I remember selling them for $20 which was hard to get at the time but they did eventually start to dry up. Then it seemed like they were more in the $75-$100 bracket. I've not had an extra one in a long time now.

And yes the Dr. Who topper sits proudly on the Pinball Magic, it's part of my "misplaced topper collection".

John

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I bought mine at expo 03 from one of those two, not sure who. But I bought it as a lot of 5 different translites for $100. I picked BBB, Pinball Magic, Apollo 13, Big Guns and Barb Wire.
I should have grabbed all BBB there was a huge stack of them.

I have a feeling you bought it from Mike Pacak. I think Mike ended up with all of them, or most...not sure how. Part of the deal with Mike getting a BBB was a trade for the translites Gene needed for the game.

#355 3 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Somebody more intimate with the BBB game-specific parts could sit down and rough-up a crude BOM.

The BBB playfields were "free" ... Gene didn't pay a cent for them. So put those on the BOM as $0.00. I know this for a fact. I'll elaborate a bit below. I think somebody earlier in the thread explained the backstory too.

Kevin, There was still value that Gene had in them whether you agree or not. I dont know the cost of a playfield to make, but lets say it 300 each. There is no way that CGC would give 60k+ to Gene out of good will. Apparently it was a better value for them to "give" these to him than to pay the cost of whatever infringement they had. I guarantee CGC took the cheapest option, it was not a charity thing. So apparently whatever Gene held over them was valueable in some since from something that he owned

#356 3 years ago

Can someone put a timeline of major events together? Was the warehouse fire after BBB was built, but before the bankruptcy sale?

Are there any news reports of the fire?

This is so fascinating

Edit. Thanks for the fire story link. Photo from the story.

D49B1966-1094-4C4D-923B-16FDB747E80B (resized).jpegD49B1966-1094-4C4D-923B-16FDB747E80B (resized).jpeg
#358 3 years ago

A few years ago, Backglass Restoration and Repairs took a translite and made it into a backglass. To accomplish this they cleaned up the artwork and gave it more contrast for a better overall look. I had mine framed after receiving it and it looks spectacular hanging outside my game room.
The order process was time consuming but worth it and I believe they're still available.

zzzzz20200707_081704 (resized).jpgzzzzz20200707_081704 (resized).jpg
#359 3 years ago

Allentown 2007

8C769AD8-76BA-4983-A7E7-36602B00D3DC (resized).jpeg8C769AD8-76BA-4983-A7E7-36602B00D3DC (resized).jpeg
#360 3 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Kevin, There was still value that Gene had in them whether you agree or not. I dont know the cost of a playfield to make, but lets say it 300 each. There is no way that CGC would give 60k+ to Gene out of good will. Apparently it was a better value for them to "give" these to him than to pay the cost of whatever infringement they had. I guarantee CGC took the cheapest option, it was not a charity thing. So apparently whatever Gene held over them was valueable in some since from something that he owned

bad math on my part

#361 3 years ago

Need to add a 0 to your total

#362 3 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Need to add a 0 to your total

bad math again on my part

#363 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Sorry if I did not know. There were 2000 BBB playfields made? Or was the remainder re-purposed raw playfields?

200 X 300= 60,000 not 6000

#364 3 years ago

Haha.
That would be a great deal.

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

200 X 300 is $6000, free is still a good deal. Carry on..

#365 3 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

As soon as I got my notice in the mail to send the down payment I turned right around went to the Post Office and sent him a overnight money order so that he would get it in his hands the next morning early AM. which cost me like $40.

I did the same. He wouldn't take personal checks, so as soon as I got the notice in the mail I drove to the bank for a cashier's check and then directly to the post office and sent it by overnight priority mail. Which is how I secured BBB number 16. All the lower numbers were reserved for family members and insiders.

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I did the same. He wouldn't take personal checks, so as soon as I got the notice in the mail I drove to the bank for a cashier's check and then directly to the post office and sent it by overnight priority mail. Which is how I secured BBB number 16. All the lower numbers were reserved for family members and insiders.

I did the same and was able to get #10.

#367 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

yeah but its not like he got those parts for free... his sales price would try to recoup some of his capcom expenses plus the new stuff needed.

IPB bought Capcom out (all their remaining inventory, worth approx $1M) for only $20K when they went out of business. Gene got a lot of boardsets (approx 200 CPU boards, 500 driverboards, and several hundred misc boards) in this $20K Capcom deal. The $20K deal also included lots of plastic sets for the production Capcom games, misc hardware, a pallet of Coin Control coin doors, drop targets, a Capcom test fixture, and a handful of extra NOS Capcom playfields (Pinball Magic, Breakshoot, Airborn, Flipper Football). IPB sold the Capcom parts to PMI (Gene’s newly formed company to make the BBB games). PMI bought the Capcom parts from IPB and IPB sold the parts to PMI (on paper) as a profit. PMI took the capital gains loss on BBB but IPB made big profits on the Capcom parts that he sold to PMI. The true cost to make these new BBB games were around $3K according to Gene. Games were made with NOS original boardsets and the translite was NOS (supplied by Mike Pacak). The reason that Gene only made around 192 BBB games was based on how many NOS Capcom CPU boards that he had working.

#368 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

IPB bought Capcom out (all their remaining inventory, worth approx $1M) for only $20K when they went out of business. Gene got a lot of boardsets (approx 200 CPU boards, 500 driverboards, and several hundred misc boards) in this $20K Capcom deal. The $20K deal also included lots of plastic sets for the production Capcom games, misc hardware, a pallet of Coin Control coin doors, drop targets, a Capcom test fixture, and a handful of extra NOS Capcom playfields (Pinball Magic, Breakshoot, Airborn, Flipper Football). IPB sold the Capcom parts to PMI (Gene’s newly formed company to make the BBB games). PMI bought the Capcom parts from IPB and IPB sold the parts to PMI (on paper) as a profit. PMI took the capital gains loss on BBB but IPB made big profits on the Capcom parts that he sold to PMI. The true cost to make these new BBB games were around $3K according to Gene. Games were made with NOS original boardsets and the translite was NOS (supplied by Mike Pacak). The reason that Gene only made around 192 BBB games was based on how many NOS Capcom CPU boards that he had working.

At that rate of profit (~$1500/game), wouldn’t it have made sense to have reproduced additional CPU boards, or was there really something on the board that was not reproducible at the time?

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

.... wouldn’t it have made sense to have reproduced additional CPU boards, or was there really something on the board that was not reproducible at the time?

There was some chip on that CPU board that could not be reproduced. I do remember Gene saying something about it. Also there are different Capcom CPU board revisions and the ones that work in a game like Pinball Magic may not work in BBB (due to the software revision of that custom chip). Gene had several CPU boards that just would not work. He asked me to take them back to my shop and test them in other Capcom games. The Flipper Football that I had at the time did work with one of Gene's boards so I swapped him out and give him an extra CPU board so he could have built one additional BBB game. It was a long time ago so I forgot the details.

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

I remember doing it back during that period for myself... and I couldn't get over $2500 to make one. Keep in mind, you have to know wholesale costs based on *quantity* manufacture. For instance, pop bumpers wouldn't cost what you see at Marco to buy ONE or THREE... you'd have them molded fresh, in quantities of 1000, in Chicago, for like $1 each. Bulb sockets by the 5000. Dimes each. And so on.
In fact, Chicago Gaming (CGC) was so pissed at Gene during that era, that it almost ruined CPR's ability to work with the Duba's.
Back in 2007 or so, we had really wanted to switch from the initial baltic birch plywood stock we started CPR with, to the "real deal" playfield gameboard stock. We had found the ACTUAL mill that was still doing gameboard stock (the last place doing it). They were producing it exclusively for CGC, who were making Stern's playfields. They were called American Hardwoods (formerly Weber Inc.) and were located in Wisconsin. They wouldn't let us order any gameboard stock, a 'secret recipe' they had been doing for decades, treating it like Kentucky Fried Chicken's 11 herbs & spices. Not unless we had permission from CGC.
So this is where we had to reach out and meet Roger Duba... thee patriarch of Chicago Gaming Corp.
Roger was quite the character. Old and tough. But sweet as pie once you broke through, got comfortable with you, and lowered his defences. His main beef with me was that I MUST NOT be working with (or for) Gene Cunningham... and that not one penny of CPR playfields went to Gene's pocket (LOL). There could be not one stitch of involvement between IPB and CPR ... or Roger wasn't going to help us at all.
Roger loved to talk on the phone once he got comfortable. And we got comfortable! That is when he told me the entire BBB playfield story, and clarified why he had to vet us for IPB involvement. Yes, it is true that Gene 'held them over a barrel' to force their hand to make the BBB playfields, to cover a made-up "fee" that Gene wanted, for use of some kind of a patent CGC was allegedly breaching - and Gene threatened to sue. So under this duress, they grit their teeth, caved and made the BBB playfields. Gene had said that's all he needed to make everything square. So they did them... but man, Roger simply *seethed* in hatred for Gene. It was palpable. (On a side note, Gene had essentially already revealed this story in 2005 when we visited [see my BBB playfield photos earlier]. Standing right there, at the racks of BBB playfields, Gene told us "You know what, I didn't even pay anything for these - Chicago Gaming had owed me, so I had them pay me in playfields" or something to that effect)
So I assured Roger that we had recently completely cut ties with Gene, and were working with Wayne Gillard Mr. Pinball Australia instead. In fact, under that arrangement, we were actually COMPETITION to Gene. At least in Gene's eyes. Roger loved that ! I expressed my desire to make the best repro playfields, using his exclusive real-deal wood, and thus way better playfields than Gene (or his partners) could ever produce. So Roger Duba agreed to allow us access to the American Hardwoods runs of gameboard stock (which they ran once or twice a year for Roger). We were so happy. Roger personally called the president of the mill and instructed them to do any business with CPR that we wanted, and the rest is history.
We had a few good years with American Hardwoods, until their parent company closed and liquidated that mill to pay off a bankruptcy somewhere else in the country. But the president there, in his last days before they locked the place, passed the gameboard 'secret recipe' over to another nearby competitor - and referred us to them to carry on the legacy of that wood. Even set up a conference call to make introductions between us. We've been getting our wood from that mill ever since, trucking it up from Wisconsin USA to Nova Scotia Canada. Years later we even tweaked the original recipe, turning the dark brown cores (usually sweet gum) to white ash, and tripling the thickness of the face veneers. Roger and CGC never came along on that mill switchover (he didn't like that mill or something) and they decided to source their wood elsewhere. I don't know how that turned out for them. It's probably been a decade since we've talked to CGC. Does anybody know if ol' Roger is still with us ?

Gene had purchased TAG (Thomas A Grant) in 2001. Stern was using both CGC and TAG to make playfields at the time that Gene bought TAG. After the purchase, Stern switched to Churchill (CGC). Just speculation on my part but Gary was unhappy to have competition and did not want to put money into his competitor's pocket. Unfortunately for CGC, when they made playfields for Stern, they used the Williams process, which they didn't own because they had been contractors under license from Williams. Of course Gene had also acquired the exclusive rights to re-manufacture Williams parts, which included the playfield process. He leveraged those rights against CGC's unlicensed process to get the BBB playfields made as compensation.

I don't recall what happened after that, if CGC switched their playfield process to match Data East's, which Gary did own. Perhaps Wayne, or someone from CGC, or even Martin from Pinball News knows more. But it certainly appeared that Gene attempted to force CGC and Stern (his competition) into becoming a revenue stream.

#371 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Gene had purchased TAG (Thomas A Grant) in 2001. Stern was using both CGC and TAG to make playfields at the time that Gene bought TAG. After the purchase, Stern switched to Churchill (CGC). Just speculation on my part but Gary was unhappy to have competition and did not want to put money into his competitor's pocket. Unfortunately for CGC, when they made playfields for Stern, they used the Williams process, which they didn't own because they had been contractors under license from Williams. Of course Gene had also acquired the exclusive rights to re-manufacture Williams parts, which included the playfield process. He leveraged those rights against CGC's unlicensed process to get the BBB playfields made as compensation.
I don't recall what happened after that, if CGC switched their playfield process to match Data East's, which Gary did own. Perhaps Wayne, or someone from CGC, or even Martin from Pinball News knows more. But it certainly appeared that Gene attempted to force CGC and Stern (his competition) into becoming a revenue stream.

What was the “Williams Process” for making playfields? Shoot, what was the “Data East Process”? I had a Hook for a while and while the art style was never my favorite, the Stealth Coat had held up very well over the years. So if Gary was “stuck” with the DE way I don’t know that it was really all that bad of a thing. Would love to know the differences though.

#372 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

There was some chip on that CPU board that could not be reproduced. I do remember Gene saying something about it. Also there are different Capcom CPU board revisions and the ones that work in a game like Pinball Magic may not work in BBB (due to the software revision of that custom chip). Gene had several CPU boards that just would not work. He asked me to take them back to my shop and test them in other Capcom games. The Flipper Football that I had at the time did work with one of Gene's boards so I swapped him out and give him an extra CPU board so he could have built one additional BBB game. It was a long time ago so I forgot the details.

Good memory. The chip you're referring to is U16 on the main CPU board which is a fused FPGA. From extensive reverse engineering for Kingpin, this acts like a multiplexing chip and handled various DMD and matrix strobing operations so that the CPU had more free interrupt space to do "fun" things.

The fuse prevents you from being able to dump the FPGA contents, which makes reproduction a significant pain. At this point, it's much easier to just reimplement its behavior by looking at its inputs/outputs and replicating its functionality based on the operational theory that we know about what it talks to.

Of course, I have time and retrospect on my side. Given where Gene was at in 2006 and the lack of technical resources, it would've been very very difficult.

#373 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Of course, I have time and retrospect on my side. Given where Gene was at in 2006 and the lack of technical resources, it would've been very very difficult.

He supposedly had at one point found the original designer of the chip. And he could make it again for $15K. No idea if it ever got further than talking when Gene looked into making Kingpin.

LTG : )

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

IPB bought Capcom out (all their remaining inventory, worth approx $1M) for only $20K when they went out of business. Gene got a lot of boardsets (approx 200 CPU boards, 500 driverboards, and several hundred misc boards) in this $20K Capcom deal. The $20K deal also included lots of plastic sets for the production Capcom games, misc hardware, a pallet of Coin Control coin doors, drop targets, a Capcom test fixture, and a handful of extra NOS Capcom playfields (Pinball Magic, Breakshoot, Airborn, Flipper Football). IPB sold the Capcom parts to PMI (Gene’s newly formed company to make the BBB games). PMI bought the Capcom parts from IPB and IPB sold the parts to PMI (on paper) as a profit. PMI took the capital gains loss on BBB but IPB made big profits on the Capcom parts that he sold to PMI.

I've never heard a source of what Gene paid for Capcom's inventory... But I don't understand why they would take the loss in the LLC setup just to do BBB - where they really have no taxable property or gains to offset... vs the IPB entity. All that said though... I don't see how it disputes what I said, where Gene (under either company) wasn't getting the boards for free... and has a reasonable expectation of a return on buying that inventory. The original comment suggested that the boards would be excluded from any cost calculations simply because he already had them. I'm simply saying just because you didn't reproduce something doesn't mean it was zero cost.

Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The true cost to make these new BBB games were around $3K according to Gene

Then... according to gene.. where did he lose another almost 4k per game.. also according to gene?

#375 3 years ago

I’m sure he lost money. The manufacturing process was fubar. A lot of shit had to be done twice. A poorly managed company usually goes broke eventually. Even if he had the advantage of free playfields etc, he would still lose money.

#376 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I've never heard a source of what Gene paid for Capcom's inventory... But I don't understand why they would take the loss in the LLC setup just to do BBB - where they really have no taxable property or gains to offset... vs the IPB entity.

They were both likely passthrough entities anyway all taxed at his personal level. Both would have been active, therefore any losses and offset against each other.

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Then... according to gene.. where did he lose another almost 4k per game.. also according to gene?

Bingo

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

yeah but its not like he got those [Capcom] parts for free... his sales price would try to recoup some of his capcom expenses plus the new stuff needed.

No not free, but almost free.

#379 3 years ago

Gene was buying pinball magic machines used to get boards to make a small number of BBB about 12 I was told.

the county said a lot of his rentals were not fit to live in and they bulldozed them and took him to court for unpaid rates and taxes and the values dropped on his other properties so he owed more to the bank than they were worth, he lost $1500 a game on BBB

#380 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What was the “Williams Process” for making playfields? Shoot, what was the “Data East Process”? I had a Hook for a while and while the art style was never my favorite, the Stealth Coat had held up very well over the years. So if Gary was “stuck” with the DE way I don’t know that it was really all that bad of a thing. Would love to know the differences though.

I can tell you that, they used a specialty coating that had a milky look to seal the playfields before printing, then clearcoated

that's why they were so hard

#381 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

he lost $1500 a game on BBB

If he lost money on every BBB why was Kingpin even being discussed or make 12 more BBB games with used boards?

A lot of money to lose for the sake of vanity. Your talking over a quarter million lost on 180 BBB games.

#382 3 years ago

I can tell you that, they used a specialty coating that had a milky look to seal the playfields before printing, then clearcoated
that's why they were so hard

Could it be something as simple as dunking the playfield in a glue solution to firm it up?

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Could it be something as simple as dunking the playfield in a glue solution to firm it up?

no it was a type of resin, 2 part mix and rock hard

#384 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If he lost money on every BBB why was Kingpin even being discussed or make 12 more BBB games with used boards?
A lot of money to lose for the sake of vanity. Your talking over a quarter million lost on 180 BBB games.

he plucked $4500 price out of his arse based on stern prices at the time
and Gene told me himself as I had ordered 5 games from him, he lost $1500 a game, actually he said $300k he lost

he was selling the extra BBB for more money at the time, and Kingpin was more expensive, he said they had sanded the FPGA or reverse engineered it for Kingpin

#385 3 years ago

and Gene told me himself as I had ordered 5 games from him, he lost $1500 a game, actually he said $300k he lost
he was selling the extra BBB for more money at the time, and Kingpin was more expensive, he said they had sanded the FPGA or reverse engineered it for Kingpin

"Told you himself"

I would take anything said by Gene in regards to money as dubious at best after reading eight pages here about him. Working with car salesmen, "we lost money on this deal" is one of the oldest canards in the sales business.

Logically it makes no sense after losing $250,000-$300,000 to turn around and spend MORE money to buy 12 used machines just to harvest their circuit boards and sell 12 more BBB.

I'll be generous and assume the "final 12" were sold for more than $4500 though.

Gene was a shrewd guy with his money, your going to tell me he was so tight with a buck and he could get change from a penny but lost money on every BBB he sold and enjoyed it so much he made 12 more? Nah bro, not buying that. I see the later ones being a cash grab since everything was no doubt lying around already paid for and just waiting for boards.

I would be more inclined to think that Gene "lost $1500" meant that he expected to make $1500 more than he did per unit, he still profited just not as much as he schemed.

Stern NIB was $3300-$3400 at the time, $4500 for BBB was premium price and Gene obtained a lot of the parts dirt cheap.

#386 3 years ago

I mentioned earlIer Gene lost big on BBB. The price for King Pin was at or about $8000 a game. I was on the list to get one...

#387 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I mentioned earlIer Gene lost big on BBB. The price for King Pin was at or about $8000 a game. I was on the lust to get one...

Lost actual money or just lost potential money?

Because he seemed to realize after the fact how much more people were willing to pay once there was a finished product in a box

#388 3 years ago

a source to buy a BBB at 10k?

#389 3 years ago

the county said a lot of his rentals were not fit to live in and they bulldozed them and took him to court for unpaid rates and taxes and the values dropped on his other properties so he owed more to the bank than they were worth

Yep, ya gotta go back in time. The economic and real estate crash of 2008 was brutal for Gene.

#390 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

The price for King Pin was at or about $8000 a game. I was on the list to get one...

I was on the list to get one also and $8000 sounds right to me but like I said, I wasn't sure. Thanks for posting that.

#391 3 years ago

Through your talks, is it reasonable to think that a BBB remade could happen one day? Or is it more Unlikely?
Who gets currently capcom rights?

#392 3 years ago

he went broke twice
once selling all the ipb inventory and then personally

how do you go from a millionaire to being broke?

Make pinballs

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:he went broke twice
Make pinballs

No relation

#394 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Through your talks, is it reasonable to think that a BBB remade could happen one day? Or is it more Unlikely?

Considering how stylish the game looks and the demand for these games, someone is surely trying to figure out how. But I assume someone like CGC is fine sticking with the Williams stuff. At least till they run out of the most desired classic titles that they could easily undercut with newer versions.

#395 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

A few years ago I thought it was unlikely. These days I'm thinking it is more than likely they will be made as Rick from Planetary Pinball announced BBB as one of the top contenders. When, is anybody's guess but it has to be pretty high up in the cue for Chicago Gaming if they do it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-more-speculation-planetary-pinball-to-remake-mb-bbb-tom-and-cc

Circus Maximus is re-making Kingpin and they posted of an agreement with Planetary Pinball. Make of that what you will.

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Pinball announced BBB as one of the top contenders.

That will likely piss the current BBB owners off if a remake actually happens.

#397 3 years ago

he went broke twice
Make pinballs

How do you make a million dollars building pinball machines?

Start with two million.

#398 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

So what?

CGC would probably redesign the whole game and the discerning collector will know the difference. Probably the same type who wouldn’t be interested in their other remakes and/or already have the original

#399 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Oh noes!

#400 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A few years ago I thought it was unlikely. These days I'm thinking it is more than likely they will be made as Rick from Planetary Pinball announced BBB as one of the top contenders. When, is anybody's guess but it has to be pretty high up in the cue for Chicago Gaming if they do it.

But would it be a Capcom or a WMS BBB?

- Almost certainly not going to use Capcom boards - we'll get emulation
- Capcom flipper mechs? Probably not, they do not exist in quantity... will get standard WMS/CGC mechs
- Cabinet build, will we get Capcom playfield lift, backbox speaker enclosures, etc?

Will be interesting to see the re-remake if it happens. Unless it comes with a software upgrade, I have no interest in it. I played the hell out of my #112 before selling to a very nice European fella, and have little interest in playing it again. Beautiful looker but very mediocre gameplay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
There are 695 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball/page/8?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.