Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5905 (resized).JPG
    af39e400df0e72d7202ffe34e9f34fec--rat-fink-rat-rod (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    eddie_stern3.jpg
    download.jpg
    star jet.jpg
    jetsons.png
    image-1.jpg
    74876-i.jpg
    Centigrade_37_BG_2.jpg
    sonja.jpg
    ice revue.jpg
    Hindenburg_burning.jpg
    Boris Vallejo - Wolfman.jpg
    pinball-WOLF-MAN-de-PEYPER-116070749_1.jpg
    pinball-WOLF-MAN-de-PEYPER-116070749_3.jpg
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

One of my favorite things about Em pinball is all the great artwork. Back then many companies were producing a game or more a month. There had to be a fair amount of pressure for some of the artists to keep cranking out something original.
    George Molentin is one of my all time favorites but he must have been under the gun on the backglass for Williams 1957 Arrowhead. Compare it to George Petty's calendar page from 1955. Petty was a prolific pin-up and advertising artist in the 1920s to 1950s. Maybe they knew each other and collaborated on it? I just thought it was interesting and maybe you have seen something similar.
    Alex

PettyPinUpCalendar.jpgPettyPinUpCalendar.jpg 57Arrowhead.jpg57Arrowhead.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Here is George Petty's Old Gold ad with a similar design.
    Alex

PettyOldGoldAd.jpgPettyOldGoldAd.jpg

#3 10 years ago

It would be nice to have the game and calendar framed next to it.

#4 10 years ago

Love the art, looks a bit like rockwell's.

#5 10 years ago

Here's another one. This one may be a stretch but I always thought the lady on this Genesee Beer sign looked a an awful lot like the cowgirl on Double Barrel. The beer sign would have been around the same era I believe. Another Molentin work inspired by an attractive lady?

Alex

Genesee.JPGGenesee.JPG DoubleBarrel.jpgDoubleBarrel.jpg

#6 10 years ago

way cool topic alex...

#7 10 years ago

Those advertising artists were incredibly bad ass and I love looking at their work. It must have been a really great time to be an illustrator back then, especially if you could do pin ups.

Thanks for sharing!

5 months later
    #8 10 years ago

Interesting comparison between the calendar page and Arrow Head backglass. I have the machine but was unaware of the calendar pinup so I learned something new today. Always a plus! Thanks, Alex

#9 10 years ago

Lucky man. Did you get the new backglass from Shay? I had half considered ordering one for a wall hanger. I'd love to find the machine someday.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I'd love to find the machine someday.

Not if I get there first.

#11 10 years ago

Not so sexy, but how about the Williams Space Mission backglass being inspired by a famous oil painting of the Apollo/Soyuz linkup

image.jpgimage.jpg image-734.jpgimage-734.jpg
    #12 10 years ago

No pressure, just copy some past artwork and publish it for another hobby. Works for stern )

FillmorePostersDec10_400 (1).jpgFillmorePostersDec10_400 (1).jpg met.jpgmet.jpg
    #13 10 years ago

Alex,

I did get a Shay backglass for it which will be a huge improvement since the ink is probably 50-60% gone on the original. The machine is currently in storage and in need of a thorough shopping which I hope to get done this summer. I'll try to remember to post a few photos here when its finished.

#14 10 years ago

Then there are instances where a game artist was "inspired" by their peers. Somebody at Playmatic clearly admired the style in which Gordon Morison drew gestures and poses.

Jumping Jack vs. Harem.pngJumping Jack vs. Harem.png
    Gottlieb Jumping Jack (1973) and Playmatic Harem (1974)

Atlantis vs. Fairy.jpgAtlantis vs. Fairy.jpg
    Gottlieb Atlantis (1975) and Playmatic Fairy (1975)

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from fflint_18:

Not so sexy, but how about the Williams Space Mission backglass being inspired by a famous oil painting of the Apollo/Soyuz linkup

I beg to disagree, that is hella sexy.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

No pressure, just copy some past artwork and publish it for another hobby. Works for stern )

At least that was a redraw though, and not a literal copy and paste.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

One of the best Williams themes and the artwork is fantastic.

#18 10 years ago

Blackout is a clear swipe from Jim Steranko's cover to Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD from 1968

shield6.jpgshield6.jpg blackout.jpgblackout.jpg
    #19 10 years ago

The commercial art world of up until the 1980s is pretty interesting. There was a definite hierarchy and status according to the work an artist did, with backglass artists probably falling somewhere below comic book artists. Both of these fell below pulp illustrator, paperback illustrator, newpaper ad artists, ad agency designers, and book and magazine illustrators (in roughly that order). Comic strip artists were an exception up until the 1970's and made more money than just about any of their peers and were even personalities if their creations did well.

Swiping was endemic, and most artists kept massive files of compositions they liked or thought would be useful. In some instances entire works of art, comics, etc, can be found to be derived from stock images an artist has compiled. I have to believe that for most backglass artists, pinball work was probably a VERY small part of their work, and the most efficient way to pump out the job would be to refer to other works.

Then again, in every field, there are artists who just love what they do, excel at it, and their work reeks of originality and fun. It would be great to see how much pinball art is from swipes, though.

#20 10 years ago

Viza's War head to head vs. Frank Frazetta's Berserker

war.jpgwar.jpg frank_frazetta_berserker.jpgfrank_frazetta_berserker.jpg
    #21 10 years ago

This topic is great!

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

The commercial art world of up until the 1980s is pretty interesting. There was a definite hierarchy and status according to the work an artist did, with backglass artists probably falling somewhere below comic book artists. Both of these fell below pulp illustrator, paperback illustrator, newpaper ad artists, ad agency designers, and book and magazine illustrators (in roughly that order). Comic strip artists were an exception up until the 1970's and made more money than just about any of their peers and were even personalities if their creations did well.
    Swiping was endemic, and most artists kept massive files of compositions they liked or thought would be useful. In some instances entire works of art, comics, etc, can be found to be derived from stock images an artist has compiled. I have to believe that for most backglass artists, pinball work was probably a VERY small part of their work, and the most efficient way to pump out the job would be to refer to other works.
    Then again, in every field, there are artists who just love what they do, excel at it, and their work reeks of originality and fun. It would be great to see how much pinball art is from swipes, though.

Good stuff. I just want to add that it isn't necessarily a horrible thing either in some cases. There's a line between referencing and plagiarism which can be really blurry. Everyone wants to be original, but it's also very difficult to create any piece of art that is 100% original with absolutely no influence from any other artist. Everyone still references each other/photos today, it's just that we have Google images instead of piles of catalogs/magazines/advertisements to find inspiration from.

#23 10 years ago

Totally agree. "Swiping" in the comic world was clearly an art form, although many (including Bob Kane, the "creator" of Batman) clearly crossed the line. I'm very much on the fence on everything mentioned here. The Arrowhead (for gawd's sake, even the shape of her toes are identical), Blackout, and Space Mission all cross the line, in my opinion. Space Mission I give a bye to, because I believe NASA commissioned the art and, frankly, it verges on public property.

Speaking of Frazetta--I've always been quite certain that's Frazetta's Buck Rogers on Embryon. Given the images handy, I say it's an updated homage. Uniform is the same color combo (blue sleeves, red vest), same cap, same goggles, etc. I always wondered if I spent the time looking, would I find the exact pose (it's very Frazetta-like).

buck1.jpgbuck1.jpg
    buck2.jpgbuck2.jpg
    embryon.jpgembryon.jpg

#24 10 years ago

You guys are coming up with some great stuff.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You and I are of the same era then.

I grew up with Apollo and it's my thing.

I'll never sell my Space Mission.

Sucks the US has to pay the Russians to shoot us into space on a rocket and in a capsule designed in the 60's.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from fflint_18:

You and I are of the same era then.
    I grew up with Apollo and it's my thing.
    I'll never sell my Space Mission.
    Sucks the US has to pay the Russians to shoot us into space on a rocket and in a capsule designed in the 60's.

I was born in 77, I grew up with Star Wars, not Apollo. But I know sexy when I see it!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I was born in 77, I grew up with Star Wars, not Apollo. But I know sexy when I see it!

Just a kid

I was 5 years old watching Armstrong walk on the moon on our new 19 inch color tv.
    but the landing was in black and white.

I'll never forget it.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from fflint_18:

I was 5 years old watching Armstrong walk on the moon on our new 19 inch color tv.

Nobody will ever forget where they were that night.

#29 10 years ago

Awesome post keep em coming. This is almost as cool as the chicks playing pinball thread that was out a ways back!!!

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

Speaking of Frazetta--I've always been quite certain that's Frazetta's Buck Rogers on Embryon. Given the images handy, I say it's an updated homage. Uniform is the same color combo (blue sleeves, red vest), same cap, same goggles, etc. I always wondered if I spent the time looking, would I find the exact pose (it's very Frazetta-like).

Another Frazetta fan! Although, who isn't?

It does look like one of Frazetta's less dynamic poses. The kind he would utilize in a painting where the hero is standing relaxed, while females are swooning at him, laying on the ground.

#31 10 years ago

IMG_0157.jpgIMG_0157.jpgli-hr-giger.jpgli-hr-giger.jpg

#32 10 years ago

Speaking of H.R. Giger....

hr_giger_alien_III.jpghr_giger_alien_III.jpg

monthspace-invaders-bally-1979-.pngmonthspace-invaders-bally-1979-.png

Later,
    EV

2 weeks later
    #33 10 years ago

Ok here's another. This one is another that may be a long shot as the art isn't that similar but the theme is. After seeing a link to Keeney Carousel in another thread it instantly reminded me of Gil Elvgren's Coca Cola ad. His style isn't really that much like Roy Parker's but how often do you see a cute blonde ride a carousel horse side saddle? Not enough I say. Anyway, it looks like Roy could have been the one to plant the idea this time as the Pinball is from 1947 and the Coke ad is from 1948.

Backglass.jpgBackglass.jpg coca-cola_play_refreshed_by_gil_elvgren_1948.jpgcoca-cola_play_refreshed_by_gil_elvgren_1948.jpg
    #34 10 years ago

Paul Faris (Paragon, Lost World, etc) admitted he was inspired by Frank Frazetta. In the Lost World backglass, compare the horse to Frank's work.

lostworld%20BG.jpglostworld%20BG.jpg az_599_Molly%20Hatchet_Molly%20Hatchet.jpgaz_599_Molly%20Hatchet_Molly%20Hatchet.jpg
    #35 10 years ago

Favorite subject of mine too! Things were a little more loosey goosey. Main artist Boris Vallejo and CAZA who came up with some iconic stuff in the 70's. I like to think that underpaid artist that had to deliver just appreciated these guys. But I wonder if they ever tried to reach out to their mentors. I know that the "real" artist's career's lasted much longer.
    CW_Gorgar.jpgCW_Gorgar.jpg

Gorgar_Boris.jpgGorgar_Boris.jpg
    1978_CAZA.jpg1978_CAZA.jpg

SSDougWatson.jpgSSDougWatson.jpg
    #36 10 years ago

A '71 Williams Stardust was the "inspiration" for this '74 Satomi Arrangeball machine.

#37 10 years ago

And here's the pics:image-516.jpgimage-516.jpgimage-337.jpgimage-337.jpg

#38 10 years ago

I do not have any photos handy to scan (or swipe off the internet),
    but if you look at WMS Firepower, it is obvious that C.Mitchell
    did some swiping from Marvel's Jack Kirby,
    especially on some of the PF plastics (figures).
    image-45.jpgimage-45.jpgimage-43.jpgimage-43.jpgimage-42.jpgimage-42.jpg

Sorry unable to find any specific Kirby work to reference at the moment,
    but if you are familiar with his work it should be obvious
    where the Firepower inspiration came from.
    maybe google it or see this link
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jack+kirby+artwork+poses&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LqsXU82vGYP9ygOA7YCwDQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1009

#39 10 years ago

Very interesting thread thanks AlexF

#40 10 years ago

Agree, good thread Alex.......

#41 10 years ago

Alex : yes very good post
    actually this thread should probably get re-posted over at the "ALL" forum,
    since the art swiping/inspiration covers both the E/Ms and solid state games.

#42 10 years ago

Thanks guys, I've found it to be a lot of fun too. It took a little while for the thread to get some momentum but there have been some great art comparisons posted. Many of them I was completely unaware of. I'm not as well versed in the SS art era but all of the stuff posted has been very interesting.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

This one may be a stretch but I always thought the lady on this Genesee Beer sign looked a an awful lot like the cowgirl on Double Barrel.

I think you are right about this swipe/inspiration for Double Barrel.
    I also would bet good money that George M. was also looking at some 40-50'S pin-up cheesecake artwork or men's rag, when coming up with the models for the two cuties on the PlayField
    for WMS Oh Boy, as well as the two gals in the forefront on that game's BackGlass, especially the gal on the right corner, looks like a swipe/trace from a photo.

#44 10 years ago

I agree, I would love to be able to see his office stash of reference material. Probably some great stuff.

#45 10 years ago

oh boy
    oh boy image-14.jpgoh boy image-14.jpgoh boy image-21.jpgoh boy image-21.jpg

The gals posing on the PF look natural
    but the gals pictured on the BG look awkward in their poses?!?!
    hard to believe they were drawn by the same artist.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Ok here's another.

Play refreshed, my friend.
    th-55.jpegth-55.jpeg

#47 10 years ago

Cosmic Gunfight was released in 1982. The TV show Galaxy Rangers was produced in 1986. Would it be fair to say that this is one of those rare instances when the pinball theme inspired a TV show or movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_the_Galaxy_Rangers

61ZgvEP-hBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg61ZgvEP-hBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
    20120630_Cosmic Gunfight_006-2.jpg20120630_Cosmic Gunfight_006-2.jpg

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #49 10 years ago

^^^^^^That's just plain old theft

#50 10 years ago

Yeah, but at least you can't see his "red rocket" on the pinball version.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/art-inspired-from-other-works and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.