Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by smokinhos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball-assembly-blades_2 (resized).jpg
    Whirl (resized).jpg
    20210203_193026 (resized).jpg
    20210203_193018 (resized).jpg
    20210203_150830 (resized).jpg
    20210203_094952 (resized).jpg
    20230307_193427 (resized).jpg
    20230307_193435 (resized).jpg
    20230307_193421 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I am debating whether or not to install art blades in a couple Stern machines. Is it worth it? I was just thinking that having the solid black cabinet gives a good contrast with the playfield. But, some of the art blades are really cool looking. Also, these things are pretty much one shot to get them stuck on correctly, right? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

#2 1 year ago

Art blades are a must in all my modern games. The only exception being when I occasionally install mirror blades instead.

Either way, plain black cabinet sides are BORING to me.

I recommend the wet method for installation. Allows you multiple shots, if needed, to position the blade correctly.

LOTS of info on this topic in many past threads. The search tool is your friend.

#3 1 year ago

Thx, ya I read the thread about the wet method. Probably a youtube vid out there too

#4 1 year ago

If you choose the wet method, Rapid Tac is your friend. See videos that use it.

#5 1 year ago

Not for me, I like to focus on the playfield

#6 1 year ago

Art blades all the way!

#7 1 year ago

Just ordered art blades for my new to me LOV. Looks blank without them.

#8 1 year ago

Art blades are cool just a pain to put in. I use the wet technique with windex. Spray windex on the back of the art blade, put it in and keep going back and fourth until its centered.
    I have yet to see power blades in person, must be pretty bad ass.

#9 1 year ago

You can't see photos and decide if you like them yourself?

#10 1 year ago

Most of my machines get mirrors, STh, DI, and Bond being exceptions. Just need to be sure the art is good. Soapy water.. takes about 15 mins. I pulled the playfield in STh.. first time I did artblades, but now I leave the pf in to do them. Can be a real visual game changer.

Almost forgot- must get pin "assembly blades" by pinball universe if you have art or mirrors.

20210203_094952 (resized).jpg20210203_094952 (resized).jpg20210203_150830 (resized).jpg20210203_150830 (resized).jpg20210203_193018 (resized).jpg20210203_193018 (resized).jpg20210203_193026 (resized).jpg20210203_193026 (resized).jpg20230307_193421 (resized).jpg20230307_193421 (resized).jpg20230307_193427 (resized).jpg20230307_193427 (resized).jpg20230307_193435 (resized).jpg20230307_193435 (resized).jpg

#11 1 year ago

Pin shields for the win! For your art and mirror blades, and maybe in some cases for just the painted sides of older games. I’ve seen plenty of painted games torn up raising the PF.

#12 1 year ago

Where are folks buying mirror blades and pinshields from these days?

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Where are folks buying mirror blades and pinshields from these days?

Pinball Life: https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-graphic-panels.html

The mirror blades are particularly good since they are stick on instead of screw in. The screws on others always scratch the playfield.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I am debating whether or not to install art blades in a couple Stern machines. Is it worth it? I was just thinking that having the solid black cabinet gives a good contrast with the playfield. But, some of the art blades are really cool looking. Also, these things are pretty much one shot to get them stuck on correctly, right? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I see both sides. Art blades can enhance a game. In have them on some, love the zombie yeti ones on Godzilla. But you make a point I’ve also considered. When you go see a play, the stage is lit up. The wings and audience aren’t. In some cases, art blades can be like someone adding a ton of extraneous decor on the sides of the stage, diminishing the main focus of the story and actors. i.e. the playfield.

Not a straightforward answer, your taste must dictate what you do.

One thing I really dislike is some art blades that have poor art or art that has a style that differs from other art in the game. Yuck.

#15 1 year ago

Yay for the most part, I'm debating putting them on my BSD because you don't actually see a lot of the cabinet.

#16 1 year ago

I freaking love art blades. I put them in all my games EXCEPTING P3 Multimorphic and early solids state/EM games and a few special cases like TNA (mirror blades!). I absolutely feel like they add to the world under glass.

Art blades these days are typically a little thicker than they used to be, made of vinyl, and are not terrible to install after a few. I use the windex method mentioned above.

I personally like and prefer the ones from Tilt https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/. Pingraffix makes some neat ones https://www.pingraffix.com/ and most manufacturers have special ones for their new games. Star Wars Comic Art blades from Stern are the best I've seen IMO. For some modern games, due to licensing restrictions you really (controversial) need to order some unlicensed stuff from overseas to get the best looking product. I personally think these Bond ones from overseas look better than what I can get here and ordered a set https://www.wizardmod.com/product-page/007-pinball-wizblades

With all that said, Pingraffix makes some really neat and unique ones that are a mixture of mirror and sticker, some lit, and a few other really neat things. If you get a chance, I personally would recommend checking out the vendor booths at shows to look at them in person if you are on the fence if you are going to one anytime soon. If you are ordering from somplace random, confirm they are made out of vinyl before ordering. I've gotten a few old stock ones that were not vinyl that... didn't hold up well. Note that if you do go with art blades you forever have to be extra careful lifting and lowering your playfield so as not to scratch them.

Whirl (resized).jpgWhirl (resized).jpg
    #17 1 year ago

"Note that if you do go with art blades you forever have to be extra careful lifting and lowering your playfield so as not to scratch them."

Get these.. never worry again about lifting your playfield..
    pinball-assembly-blades_2 (resized).jpgpinball-assembly-blades_2 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/art-blades-yay-or-nay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.