Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by happyclan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you prefer?”

• Art blades 18 votes
      25%
    • Mirror blades 30 votes
      42%
    • None 4 votes
      6%
    • Mirror blades unless really cool art blades are available 17 votes
      24%
    • None unless really cool art blades are available 3 votes
      4%

(72 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

globe2 (resized).jpg
    globe1 (resized).jpg
    Theatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts print3b.jpg
    Theatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts print2.jpg
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print4.jpg
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print3.jpg
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print2.jpg
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print1.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Years ago when I first saw mirror blades on a TZ I thought it looked pretty cool as a gimmick, but never cool enough to ever buy a set for any of my games. Now art blades really seem to have take off and even the OEMs are making them. It might be my imagination, but it seems like mirror blades are finally going out of style in favor of the much better looking IMO art blades. To me this is great. I love seeing the new art blade designs and have seen some really cool ones on older WPC games too. On the other hand I am tired of seeing mirror blades on games at shows and at my friends houses. To me mirror blades are like spinner wheels on a car at this point - I just roll my eyes. What do you think? Personally I prefer nothing unless really cool art blades are available.

#2 4 years ago

In most cases I still prefer mirror blades. Art blades are cool too, but they still make the playfield look boxed in to me. I also feel mirror blades brighten up the game.

#3 4 years ago

Mirror blades show off the machine, art blades show off bad art most of the time.

#4 4 years ago

The reflection of the mirror blades really enhances the game, brightens it up, no brainer.

#5 4 years ago

Prefer mirror blades but find that the playfield is too tight to fit or use without ultimately getting scratched on many games (even with protectors during maintenance).

#6 4 years ago

crome or mirror vinyl is so delicate. One of my users requested some custom Blades for TW last year. I ordered to protect them with a hard rough protective lamination. Here are my results:

"The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts" (Bally) printed in vinyl with sand protective lamination (photo 1).
    http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/The%20Twilight%20Zone%20Pinball%20Inner%20Side%20Arts%20print1.JPG
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print1.jpgThe Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print1.jpg

"The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts" (Bally) printed in vinyl with sand protective lamination (photo 2).
    http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/The%20Twilight%20Zone%20Pinball%20Inner%20Side%20Arts%20print2.JPG
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print2.jpgThe Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print2.jpg

"The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts" (Bally) printed in vinyl with sand protective lamination (photo 3).
    http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/The%20Twilight%20Zone%20Pinball%20Inner%20Side%20Arts%20print3.JPG
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print3.jpgThe Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print3.jpg

"The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts" (Bally) printed in vinyl with sand protective lamination (photo 4).
    http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/The%20Twilight%20Zone%20Pinball%20Inner%20Side%20Arts%20print4.JPG
    The Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print4.jpgThe Twilight Zone Pinball Inner Side Arts print4.jpg

I hope you like!

Regards

#7 4 years ago

I remembered that another user told me that he wants mirror vinyl for blades for his "theatre of Magic" and I recommended him to order a hard protect again, I means, chrome vinyl with rough protective lamination. I found photos of this work:

"Theatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts" (Bally) in crome vinyl with sand protective lamination (photo 1).
    http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/theatre%20of%20Magic%20Pinball%20Inner%20Side%20Arts%20print1.JPG
    Theatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts print2.jpgTheatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts print2.jpg

"Theatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts" (Bally) in crome vinyl with sand protective lamination (photo 2).
    http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/theatre%20of%20Magic%20Pinball%20Inner%20Side%20Arts%20print2.JPG
    Theatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts print3b.jpgTheatre of Magic Pinball Inner Side Arts print3b.jpg

Regards

#8 4 years ago

I prefer Art Blades but only if they are right as far as the art and if it just ties in well with the play field. Just being picky with that regard.
    As far as mirrors they seem to go good with music themes. I do have them on my MB but I'm ready to replace with art blades I picked
    up from pinsider, SILLYOLDELF. Picked up a set for LOTR as well. Really awesome looking on both. I might swap out the mirrors on the MB and install on my TOM. I think they would tie in well on that machine. Oh, My SS has mirrors which look really good on this pin. I do like the blades that are mirrors and have art on them as well. Thought about doing my MET in these.

#9 4 years ago

Has anyone actually painted their own "art" instead of using either Blades?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Mirror blades show off the machine, art blades show off bad art most of the time.

Most art blades just make the game look more busy and boxed in. Plus the art style rarely matches the game art so catches your eye even more.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Most art blades just make the game look more busy and boxed in.

Agreed, and I think it's because the art is designed to be viewed from straight on, yet they are viewed almost at a 90degree angle when installed in a game. Someone should try to do blades from the player's PoV that would be more immersive, even if it looked weird at different angles, like the crazy sidewalk art.

globe1 (resized).jpgglobe1 (resized).jpg
    globe2 (resized).jpgglobe2 (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago

One cool thing about mirror blades is when they're installed in a row of games and you're playing at one end, it looks awesome looking down the row.

#13 4 years ago

I'd go neither.

Many art blades look pretty crwppy and agree on them boxing the game in even more
    Mirror blades make the game lighter, which I've never seen as a big benfit, but I've never really understood the point of them.
    I guess they look near I'd you just stare at your games?

7 months later
    #14 3 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get Mirror Blades made for a Williams 2000, Star Wars EP1?

1 month later
    #15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dpor007:

Does anyone know where I can get Mirror Blades made for a Williams 2000, Star Wars EP1?

For my Addams Family, I've been ordering from here. Stainless steel. Let's hope they don't rust when I spill beer.

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/bally-williams-mirror-blades

These won't work for you... Thanks littlecammi

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/art-blades-vs-mirror-blades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.