Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hi Guys,

I'm an artsy-type (a cartoonist) and have been thinking about buying an airbrush/paint-sprayer...THING...but don't know much about them. I hear you need an Air Compressor to make 'em work, though. Is this something that would fit the bill?

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTEyNDM2NTMiLCJza3UiOiI5NTI3NSIsImlzIjoiNDkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMzE0MSJ9%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4013a&utm_source=1010

Can anyone give me any tips about getting into this medium?

- Good, inexpensive, entry-level equipment
    - Best type of paint
    - Where to purchase masking material
    - What to look out for

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#2 10 years ago

Be cautious of the volume of some of them. They can be incredibly loud. If you could possibly turn it on in the store that would be good.

I had a tiny Badger compressor at one point. It didn't have a tank but it was fine for airbrushing, cheap, and was fairly quiet.

#3 10 years ago

Okay, good to know, Erik. So, is a "1/3 Horsepower, 3 Gal., 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor" too much tool for what I'd like to use it for? Can anyone familiar w/ airbrushing recommend an appropriately powered compressor?

Thanks,
    Ryan

#4 10 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FQCBZK/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

I recently placed a large order. That is the air brush system I plan on trying out after a bunch of research and trying to find a compromise between cost and quality.

Iwata brand is pretty much the best it seems but they also can be very expensive

Createx paints are the way to go.

Check out this thread by vid for lots of good info on pf restoration and including stuff surrounding airbrush info and supplies
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

I get most of my art supplies form jerrys artarama or dick blick. Many times amazon will have better deals depending on what you are looking for. Lots of online coupons for dickblick and artarama.

If you give me a little while I can report back on my new setup.

#5 10 years ago

Yes, I'd recommend Iwata. You definitely want something fairly quiet. Check your local Craigslist. That's where I found good airbrushes and compressor.

#6 10 years ago

Air brush compressors sould either be oil-less or have an inline seperator/filter.

I remember liking the little airbrush specific compressors when I was a kid because they are small, efficient, and quite compared to running a standard pancake.

#7 10 years ago

I use Iwata guns and compressors.

#8 10 years ago

I went to hobbylobby and they have both createx paints and iwata guns.
    Just make sure to take a 40% off coupon for each item.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is the air brush system I plan on trying out after a bunch of research and trying to find a compromise between cost and quality.

Oh, sweet. This looks like a great one-stop start-up. Thanks, WhysNow!

Quoted from Whysnow:

Check out this thread by vid for lots of good info on pf restoration and including stuff surrounding airbrush info and supplies
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Oh, dang. I knew about that thread, but it has definitely expanded since I last checked-in. Thanks for the reminder. Interesting stuff that Vid mentions about the compressors. (I stayed up way-too-late last night reading through that massive post.) He says that you should stay away from oil-less compressors, so I'm curious why you say...

Quoted from Whysnow:

Air brush compressors sould either be oil-less or have an inline seperator/filter.

~also~

Quoted from Whysnow:

If you give me a little while I can report back on my new setup.

Are you gonna be at Expo this month? I'll be there...with my wife and NEW LITTLE GUY this time...and it'd be great to see you again. Maybe you can give me an update in-person. I'm guessing you'll have given it a whirl by that time, right?

Quoted from FoghornLeghorn:

Check your local Craigslist. That's where I found good airbrushes and compressor.

Great, I say, Great suggestion, FoghornLeghorn. In all seriousness, I'll start poking around and see what I can find. Do you have any recommendations for what to look for (or LOOK-OUT for)?

Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

I use Iwata guns and compressors.

This seems to be a pretty good consensus. Thanks for the affirmation, pinheadpuckguy.

Quoted from bballfan:

I went to hobbylobby and they have both createx paints and iwata guns.

Great suggestion, bballfan. Do they sell the compressors, too? Or do they expect you to go elsewhere for that?

Many thanks, guys! I'll keep checkin'-in here to see if there's any additional info. I appreciate all the advice so far, though!

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

#10 10 years ago

I think vid says to stay away form oil-less when dealing with a big compressor because the old school quality ones are oil ones and they are the best. My understanding is that when you use an oil compressor that some of the oil will pass through the hose and can have a very bad impact on your project >>oil/water don't mix and can probably cause bad things with 2 part auto ccoat?? Thus you would need an in-line seperator to pull out any oil in the air.

For your purposses and if you are going to get a dedicated airbrush set-up then you should be cool with oil-less and then don't need to deal with the seperator. Small quite system for inside the art workshop is best from my POV.

I could be wrong but that is my understanding from reading vids posts and researching on airbrush info online before buying.

Wife and I will be at Expo on Thusdat night and ALL day friday. Hopefully make it to PBL before they close down at 6pm?

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

He says that you should stay away from oil-less compressors, so I'm curious why you say...

There are several types of compressors.

In the Garage type, you have oil and oil-less.

The oil-less are not know for their longevity. If you even get a year or two of moderate use out of them, that would be a miracle. A guy who fills his tires up, and uses a finish nailer a couple of times a year would be the target consumer for oil-less.

The oil compressor, just like your car engine, has pistons and rings. You change the oil and it almost runs forever.

You use a trap to get any moisture/oil out of the air before it hits your hose.

If you are getting a bunch of oil in your trap, you need to install new rings.

The bigger the tank on your compressor, the better. This holds the air in reserve, so less noise and cycling from the motor.

An oil compressor with a 30gal+ tank is also big enough to spray Clear Coat.

=

There is also a compressor type that is made just for detail airbrushing :

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-6-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html

These run all the time, are oil-less and would be used in a house environment.

They don't have the pressure, or the volume needed to clear coat a playfield.

-

So in an ideal world, you would buy a garage type oil compressor so that you could airbrush and clear coat your playfields.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/art-airbrushpaint-sprayer-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.