Topic poll

“Which Foo Fighters did you purchase?”

• Foo Fighters Pro 50 votes
    28%
  • Foo Fighters Prem/LE 93 votes
    53%
  • I voted but do not own one yet. 33 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 176 votes by 157 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (8).gif
_111256397_060306797-1 (resized).jpg
20230508_155811 (resized).jpg
giphy (6).gif
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 months ago

Feel free to put your opinions here instead of beating up the owners thread.

#2 11 months ago

I have both. Premium is cool the overlord is way better on the premium. The dead post is a pain it does not work consistently.
Upper playfield is fun but sucks that the right ramp shot is so hard to get it up there.

If you’re on a budget the pro is a great option!

#3 11 months ago

Not buying either, but I liked the premium a lot more than the pro.

#4 11 months ago

Pro's are fun but premiums are always better, doesn't matter the game. The old "Pro's player faster" argument is a bit worn out, of course pro's play faster as there's less interactive items on them...

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Pro's are fun but premiums are always better

giphy (6).gifgiphy (6).gif
#6 11 months ago

Gentlemen, they're both awesome. Usually the correct answer is always premium. In this case, I feel both will be happy, but I made a very conscious effort to buy pro. In my mind, this is like how people swear that twd pro is better and some say that the premium is better. On TWD, I am in the premium camp, but don't hate for those that rather do pro. I get it. For me, this game just calls to me in pro more.

I have some games that are premium or bust, for me. JP2, Godzilla, Star Wars, AIQ, Ghost Busters.

Some I think it is pro all day. Aerosmith, Metallica, and GOT.

Some I know the premium is definitely better, but I don't see the need to piss away the extra money and pro would be fine. Star trek, deadpool, Iron Maiden.

Most I feel either are awesome. I would say that this game sorta falls in that category, but I definitely prefer pro, given the choice.

#7 11 months ago

I find the upper playfield on Foo challenging, interesting to shoot, very fun and makes the Prem/LE the way to go for me.

#8 11 months ago

Premiums rule and Pros drool!

There, that should start something…

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Pro's are fun but premiums are always better, doesn't matter the game. The old "Pro's player faster" argument is a bit worn out, of course pro's play faster as there's less interactive items on them...

Blanket statements are goofy but so are these arguments. I will always choose a pro plus $2500 over a premium. If I had an issue with space maybe I would upgrade to premiums, but I would rather have half of another good game than some magnets and toys on a premium.

#10 11 months ago

So I'm normally a premium buyer for most stern games and definitely interested in a Foo. I've owned a lot more premiums than pros, but this is the first game that I'm interested in where the Premium just doesn't seem to offer a compelling case for me. I have played the pro a fair amount on location and had the opportunity to play both the Pro and Premium side by side a bunch at Pinfest this weekend. My goal was to assess whether I'd go Pro or Premium for this title. Here's my quick assessment on the differences considering the $2700 price differences between the two:

Upper Playfield - I've heard great things and was excited to play around up there. I didn't really find it to be all that fun unfortunately. Seemed super repetitive and was kinda just a battle to keep the ball looping around while nudging against the rubber opposite the upper flipper to keep the ball up there. I walked away thinking that I wouldn't miss it at all. I really don't understand why folks are hyping the upper playfield so much.

Dead post - It was great and worked pretty much every time. Cool feature but definitely not something that I could use to justify the price difference

Overlord and Van Sculpts - The overlord sculpt is badass and I'd love it for the Pro. Definitely fills in the space and looks great. I liked how it moved a bit but could take or leave that aspect. I would definitely want that sculpt on the Pro or an alternative mod if well done otherwise that area seems bare. The Van sculpt was okay and I guess I'd rather have it vs. the 2d plastic but wasn't close to being as awesome as the overlord.

Overlord magnet - Cool gimmick but I wouldn't miss it

Overall, I am thinking Pro with some mods: overlord and van sculpt mod or originals if available, and the in-progress deadpost mod if they can pull it off.

#11 11 months ago

Thank you, this was getting a little tiring in the owners thread.

My thoughts are pretty simple: The biggest deciding factor is the upper playfield. A lot of people don't like them. Those people are probably going to have the most fun out of the pro. This is a good upper play field, so if you like them, you're probably going to enjoy the premium. Deadpost is cool but most people aren't deciding on that, though premium owners seem to be really enjoying it.

I find the arguments about "is the premium worth it" kinda silly. Upper playfield aside, the most common thing people are saying that they an mod the pro to be very similar to a premium for about $1500, so why pay the $2700 for it? My response is that's reasonably fair, but it's going to probably be kludgy. There's a risk reward there, and you do you, but that doesn't make the people who dish out the money for the premium wrong, which is the impression I get from the people in that thread.

#12 11 months ago

So here’s a serious question. I see so many pro owners talking about basically trying to copy the premium minus the upper playfield. There’s even a guy who is planning to rout his pro cabinet and try to hack in expression lights.

By the time you do all this you probably have spent $1000-1500 on mods and when you go to sell the game you don’t get that money back (for the most part).

I mean, if you want a pro then buy a pro. Saying you prefer the pro and then trying to copy the premium just doesn’t make sense to me.

#13 11 months ago

Why limit this post to one Stern machine when it can apply equally to all of them (that have pro/prem available)??

#14 11 months ago

I mean, if you want a pro then buy a pro. Saying you prefer the pro and then trying to copy the premium just doesn’t make sense to me.

I'll give you a clear example... Deadpool. I prefer the pro. I like the whole art package better and felt like the drop targets on the side slowed the game down too much. At the same time, I really hate stand up plastic prints replacing nice molds and plastic models, so replaced some of those with cheap toys. A promium for substantially less than the cost of a premium that plays better.

#15 11 months ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

So here’s a serious question. I see so many pro owners talking about basically trying to copy the premium minus the upper playfield. There’s even a guy who is planning to rout his pro cabinet and try to hack in expression lights.
By the time you do all this you probably have spent $1000-1500 on mods and when you go to sell the game you don’t get that money back (for the most part).

Being an upper pkayfield frowner, this doesn't sound terribly crazy. You're getting the better art package and saving money to boot.

However, the only mods I'd consider would be the dead post, and the aftermarket overlord (which kicks the shit out of both the pro and premium sculpt) and call it a day.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Absolutely agree with this.

#16 11 months ago

It all depends what u look for in a game. This argument happens every time a new pin comes out. Look at godzilla .. tons people are totally fine with the pro but premiums have been on back order since it's release with some still waiting on day one orders bc of the huge demand.
Also with the always increasing price changes the pro starts to look better and better as it doesn't increase like the other's. I think foo is a great game and I'm totally ok with the pro on this one but that's not to say it's better. It's all personal opinion no right or wrong awnser.

#17 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I normally agree, but BKSOR is the exception for me. I love the pro so much more. Played both extensively and went pro as it was way more in your face.

#18 11 months ago
Quoted from SNES:

I normally agree, but BKSOR is the exception for me. I love the pro so much more. Played both extensively and went pro as it was way more in your face.

There's always examples. Obvious Panzer see 1 more toy and its worth 2500 more. BKSOR is a perfect example because the upper PF is just hot garbage.

#19 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

In this case, toy story must be one of the fastest playing games of all time!

#20 11 months ago

I disagree on bksor, I love hitting super jackpots up there. I loved that ramp on the pro, but the second spinner shot into a vuk just felt like a bad handshake every time. And that’s why I sold the pro to TheLaw . There are and were other reasons but they are minor - at least to me. I can’t think of a game where the pro is actually a better experiance. I’ve played both ff pro and premium and then I ordered a premium. My opinion it all just comes down to the $$.

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Blanket statements are goofy but so are these arguments. I will always choose a pro plus $2500 over a premium. If I had an issue with space maybe I would upgrade to premiums, but I would rather have half of another good game than some magnets and toys on a premium.

/end thread.

#22 11 months ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I look at it as: if Pro and Premium were same price, which one would I want? If the answer is Premium I find a way to spend the extra cash, knowing I will probably get back the difference at sale time. Although with the recent price gap increases of Premium over Pro it is getting harder to do.

#23 11 months ago

The couple of people I talked to at Pinfest who tried the Premium weren't impressed by it. Still loved the game, but the vibe seemed to be it's not worth the extra. Granted Pinfest isn't always the best place to actually experience a new game.
I'm still excited to try it. Local place is getting one soon.

#24 11 months ago

I love upper playfields. The premium upper playfield is ridiculously good. I love the challenge of being in multiball and a mode and hitting the upper playfield, trying to get jackpots & advancing the mode while simultaneously keeping the balls on the main playfield alive. It maximizes the challenge in the game, which is what I love in pinball. The tougher the challenge, the better.

Is it $2500 better? Depends on the person. I can't argue with anyone who says they would rather have a pro and $2500. They are correct in their assessment, much like I am in mine.

#25 11 months ago

In before the lock. The two most magical features of this game that create “pinball moments”, the dead post and upper play field, both not available on the pro.

I don’t recall folks giving each other high-fives on games without a dead post.

#26 11 months ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I rather pay $2500 more and actually have some interactive toys and mechs versus barely anything for $7k. Godzilla Pro vs Premium is a good example.

What do you get then for $7k with a pro? Is each ramp and orbit worth $1k each? $500 per drop target?

I’m not saying pros are not fun, they are, just prefer the full featured version. I played a Foo Fighters pro on location recently and it’s a blast. However, for $7k the only interactive items are 3 drop targets and a vertical ball lock post? Nothing really substantial is there.

#27 11 months ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Almost as goofy as the 'ole my pro is faster so it's better cope. The pro is inherently inferior and chosen only because of price never because of pace! (BKSOR is an n/a example at this point prices have changed too much to still mention it, imo)

#28 11 months ago

For what it’s worth I’ve never owned a pro- until foo fighters

#29 11 months ago

In general, pinball machines have been keeping their value really well these days. I don't expect it to continue, but given a machine stays in my collection for 2 years on average, I have mostly broken even or made some money selling. Even if I expect a machine to lose 10% over 2 years, I am only "losing" about $250 more (10% of $2500) when going to a Premium assuming they both only depreciate 10% over those 2 years.

If the features of the Premium are ones I love, I am going to get the Premium. Yes, it is an extra $2500 of disposal cash I no longer have, but in the long run, I am only spending $250 or less over 2 years to enjoy those features. I will recoup the rest in the sale.

For FF, the Premium was worth it TO ME. I like the added challenge of Area 51 vs. only shooting right ramps. I get enjoyment from the deadpost. The additional sculpts/aesthetics are bonus.

Buy what you like. There is no definitive answer to the question that applies to everyone.

#30 11 months ago

I got the Premium.
I really liked the upper playfield as it is really challenging. The deadpost was no big deal before I purchased but I just love it now. It feels so cool to just pop and go. The alien makes me giggle so bad. lol. As for why I didn't go with the pro. . I could afford to get the Premium because I sold my Rush, and I wanted the game Jack designed originally and not the pro. Can't wait for band callouts.

#31 11 months ago

I went premium but after playing both I switched and got a pro. Upper play field didn't do much for me and the game play seemed the same between both models for me personally.

#32 11 months ago

I like several Pros over the Prem/LE models (outright prefer some, especially GB, where the Pro is one of my favorite games, and the Prem/LE isn't fun at all for me), but Foo Fighters Pro felt a bit empty, playing the Prem first, then the Pro at TPF (and ultimately both several times).

Really like the interactive sculpt moving with the voice and the magnet interaction for the tractor beam, synced with the screen animation.

Upper is decent, and I missed it on the Pro, same for the deadpost (much prefer the extra difficulty and involvement in successfully getting it back on the Prem/LE as well, rather than a gimme [similar feeling to a Black Knight magnasave, which would be dull as an auto-ball-save]).

Unfortunately I really dislike the Premium art package (uncomfortable synesthesia from it for me), so I wound up justifying the LE (local friend gave me his spot), which looks great, and I figure I'd want expression lights, powder coat, and invisiglass on this title anyway. Also one of the most nostalgia-based music pin that's been released for me (currently 38, and I first learned to play the guitar in 1995, when their debut released), and they got the songs right on this one (unlike Aerosmith).

Pro art package looks good, and I could understand some not caring for the upper playfield. I could also see some happy to skip the dead-post, or go with the aftermarket option, though I think the Prem/LE Overload and magnet interaction is strictly better, despite no change in gameplay (perhaps not worth the cost difference alone, but I personally didn't want to be without it).

#33 11 months ago

I will always get the full featured game. Usually it’s too obvious that the Pro is missing an important feature. The giant building on Godzilla that does nothing just irks me. A giant sticker wall on Stranger Things just comes off as a horrible feature when you know why it’s “really” there. A T-Rex that does nothing on JP makes me sad, knowing how amazing the T-Rex is on the Prem/LE.

With that out of the way, Foo seems to be the type of Pro that hides this issue pretty well. You know the dead post is missing, but I think that’s mostly out of sight/out of mind. It seems to work fine without the upper PF. Seems like all versions are good depending on what you want in the game & what you want to spend.

#34 11 months ago

No wrong choice here if the game resonates with you.

Pro is stupid amounts of fun, same great innovative shots, same great code. It's a pure player's game, no filler.

I was leaning towards the pro myself, but ended up splurging for the premium after playing both. My biggest initial concern is I hate upper playfields generally... but half the time the ball is moving so fast you can't even catch the ball with the flipper on this one. It's super duper fun to shoot and you'll spend fractions of a second on it. I have strong feelings this will be a long term keeper, so after realizing the upper PF is just fine I coughed up the extra bucks.

Reasons?

1. Expression lights rule, and I want the option to add them.
2. Feels a bit more engaging with the extra "stuff"... meaning the magnet under overlord, the upper PF (makes you work harder to qualify Area 51), and the dead post thingie for overdrive. The additional sculpts of the van and giant overlord are also rather pleasing to look at.

Lastly, my personal experience is the dead post / overdrive has worked 100% of the time with zero adjustments after 50 or so games, and I find it really satisfying to execute. I've heard plenty of folks have had issues, but luckily wasn't the case in mine. I have the game set up to about 7.3 degrees, which may help in my case.

#35 11 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

the aftermarket overlord (which kicks the shit out of both the pro and premium sculpt)

Can you share a pic of this? I seriously doubt it’s better than Stern’s sculpt, much less “kicks the shit” out of it.

#36 11 months ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Can't wait for band callouts.

Uhhhhhhhh

#37 11 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Can you share a pic of this? I seriously doubt it’s better than Stern’s sculpt, much less “kicks the shit” out of it.

You seriously haven't seen it? Man... lemme see if I can scrounge up where I saw it. It is surprisingly better. Makes the sculpt in the premium look like a weenie.

Edit: Here it is
20230508_155811 (resized).jpg20230508_155811 (resized).jpg

#38 11 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Makes the sculpt in the premium look like a weenie.

Like a cocktail weenie or this type of weenie?

_111256397_060306797-1 (resized).jpg_111256397_060306797-1 (resized).jpg
#39 11 months ago

The first pinball machine I ever purchased was the FF Pro. I've had it about 3 weeks. Is it just me, or is it a total Drain monster? I'm not a great player, but f*ck I'm in a rut right now of the ball draining like crazy. Was it designed with special angles to make it more challenging? That's what I'll tell people I guess. I even checked and relevelled the table today.
Love the art work, game, etc. but I cannot get into a zone of hitting the shots consistently.

#40 11 months ago
Quoted from Drainpro:

The first pinball machine I ever purchased was the FF Pro. I've had it about 3 weeks. Is it just me, or is it a total Drain monster? I'm not a great player, but f*ck I'm in a rut right now of the ball draining like crazy. Was it designed with special angles to make it more challenging? That's what I'll tell people I guess. I even checked and relevelled the table today.
Love the art work, game, etc. but I cannot get into a zone of hitting the shots consistently.

You will. I find that missed or our of control shots come back to you in unconventional ways compared to "standard" machines. You get used to it.

#41 11 months ago

Life is too short to argue, buy both.

#42 11 months ago

Two of the local pinball places have the game, one has the Pro and the other has an LE. I've been to each a few times since they got their games, so I've played both a fair number of times.

I don't usually like upper playfields, but the outer loop shot on this one is actually fun. Getting a few loops in a row reminds me of mini game of Iron Maiden. The deadpost took me by surprise and requires actually paying attention or you'll lose your ball. It's a plus.

The van and aliens sculpts are whatever. They add about as much as the Dazzler and Wolverine figurines add to Deadpool Premium.

The game is a shooters pin, if you're a good player, then you'll love shooting both versions. Everyone wins on this one.

However, the question you have to ask yourself on both versions, is how much mechs matter to your enjoyment of pinball? The pro has an up-post, an up-prong, and three drops. The premium adds a vibrating figure ala TMNT, a magnet, and an upper diverter. Twilight Zone this is not, and that becomes pretty apparent when going from Foo to the one around the corner.

Stern continues to redefine what modern, lcd driven pinball means in this day and age. Only a matter of time before a Pro ships with zero mechs.

#43 11 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You seriously haven't seen it? Man... lemme see if I can scrounge up where I saw it. It is surprisingly better. Makes the sculpt in the premium look like a weenie.
[quoted image]

Those are two different sculpts. The top one has yet to go into production from what I can tell. Last I heard they were redesigning it because they put a skeletor head on the Overlord when he’s supposed to be wearing a skeletor mask.

#44 11 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

[quoted image]

Ha is that the Red Skull from Captain America? The overlord is a alien wearing a disguise.

#45 11 months ago
Quoted from Drainpro:

Was it designed with special angles to make it more challenging?

Try to hit the left and right shots. If you hit it head on and miss the shot, it will make you pay as most machines do.

#46 11 months ago

The bang back post being inconsistent could be frustrating and the upper playfield hide the loop and side ramp. Con with the pro is the ball save inserts is too far back the apron hides it. And I think the code should be that you have to hold the left flipper up for the overdrive ball save. Both have problems with the fork lock.

#47 11 months ago
Quoted from dogwith1eye:

Two of the local pinball places have the game, one has the Pro and the other has an LE. I've been to each a few times since they got their games, so I've played both a fair number of times.
I don't usually like upper playfields, but the outer loop shot on this one is actually fun. Getting a few loops in a row reminds me of mini game of Iron Maiden. The deadpost took me by surprise and requires actually paying attention or you'll lose your ball. It's a plus.
The van and aliens sculpts are whatever. They add about as much as the Dazzler and Wolverine figurines add to Deadpool Premium.
The game is a shooters pin, if you're a good player, then you'll love shooting both versions. Everyone wins on this one.
However, the question you have to ask yourself on both versions, is how much mechs matter to your enjoyment of pinball? The pro has an up-post, an up-prong, and three drops. The premium adds a vibrating figure ala TMNT, a magnet, and an upper diverter. Twilight Zone this is not, and that becomes pretty apparent when going from Foo to the one around the corner.
Stern continues to redefine what modern, lcd driven pinball means in this day and age. Only a matter of time before a Pro ships with zero mechs.

Agreed not a whole lot going on in any model of foo but it shoots well with some unique shots and Is very fun but brutal.

#48 11 months ago

I have been debating to either get a pro or premium. This would be my first Stern.

#49 11 months ago
Quoted from waletboy:

I have been debating to either get a pro or premium. This would be my first Stern.

Flip a coin. When you get bored of one, sell it, and get the other. Win win.

#50 11 months ago

Premium, not close.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,700.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Raiden Mods

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

5,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Lighting - Led
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/argue-here-ff-pro-vs-prem?hl=onemilemore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.