Argosy Buying Advice

By orangestorm87

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Went to see an argosy today. I want to know what would be a good deal.

Now for the info. Guy bought a storage locker with it in it. Says he was able to play it for an hour and now the ball does not get kicked into the shooter lane. So when I was there it turns on with all four players lit up with it being first players turn and player four has a score of 90. Turning on and off has no effect same state every time. Looking at the machine someone has already installed mylar around the pops and slings. So that makes me think the previous owner took a little care of it

On the scale of 1 (dumpster fire) to 10 (perfect) I would say the back glass is a 6 with some flaking. The play field is a solid 8 with just the regular dirt and ball swirls. Cabinet is a 6. Has the keys for back box and coin door. All plastics are there. Appears to be set for free play.

So is offering around $300 a good buy with the work that needs to be done? Or do i stay away.

#2 7 years ago

$300 sounds fair to me, but no more.

#3 7 years ago

So then does anybody have an argosy schematic?

#4 7 years ago

Could be just a fuse!

I might try to haggle a little bit considering the condition and the non-working state. But, once it's cleaned up and the backglass has been sealed, it might end up being a fun player's machine.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

So then does anybody have an argosy schematic?

Pinball Resource.

Quoted from Mikala:

$300 sounds fair to me, but no more.

Yep.

#6 7 years ago

I just picked up one of these a few weeks ago at the MPE show . It had other issues than your and was in the same general condition as the one you are looking at, I fixed it and it is a fun machine for a Williams.
I paid $200.00
So like others here have said. negotiate make an offer. you have nothing to loose
And Steve at PBR does have the schematic for this beast.. always good to have the paper with any machine .

Good luck with it
Brian

#7 7 years ago

Ok thanks, guys. You have tipped me to purchasing! Will see what we are truly in for tomorrow.

#8 7 years ago

I'd say more like $200 for that game. A decent replacement backglass will be difficult to find.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I'd say more like $200 for that game. A decent replacement backglass will be difficult to find.

I agree. I'd pay $300 for a working one in that condition.

#10 7 years ago

Got it for 275$. After opening it up found the schematics in the back of the cabinet! So now it's on to trying to get this up and running.

#11 7 years ago

Good luck getting it up and running. I played one of these at PAPA a few months ago and immediately put it on my wish list.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Good luck getting it up and running. I played one of these at PAPA a few months ago and immediately put it on my wish list.

I have one in Pittsburgh I have been wanting to get rid of.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Got it for 275$. After opening it up found the schematics in the back of the cabinet! So now it's on to trying to get this up and running.

Nice work bro!

Argosy is a great game. You probably aren't going to find another backglass though I've been looking for years to improve a friend's argosy.

Seal the flaking areas of the backglass with spot patches of mylar, and place red and yellow bulb covers over the bulbs behind the flaking areas, it'll look pretty good. Great game one of the best Williams EMs.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I have one in Pittsburgh I have been wanting to get rid of.

Can you PM me the details?

#15 7 years ago

Hey thanks, I would post pictures but only had so much time with it before I had to head out of town for work.

As for back glass, I found that https://www.flippers.com/back4sal.html seems to sell them. And if I am to go by their scale, then it would actually be a 7.5ish

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/argosy-buying-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.