(Topic ID: 282214)

Are your teenagers into pinball and do they beat you?

By Manny65

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does your teenager beat you in pinball?”

• Never 7 votes
      24%
    • Only if I let them 4 votes
      14%
    • Occasionally 10 votes
      34%
    • It’s pretty even, depends on the day or the specific machines 4 votes
      14%
    • They’ve got the upper hand 2 votes
      7%
    • They always beat me these days 2 votes
      7%

(29 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SarahSchudel (resized).jpg
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image1 (resized).png
    pasted_image0 (resized).png
    Pinfest 2018 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I got back into pinball about 5 years ago and introduced my daughter and son to them. Both kids played initially however it wasn’t long before my daughter decide it wasn’t for her, only playing when her friends were over as they all wanted to check out the pinnies. One day as I was working on a Terminator 2 issue, she commented “they’re always broken” to which I replied “It’s great isn’t it! It’s half the fun”, but it was clear that my love for the silverball didn’t pass through to her. My son was more interested and would join me going to monthly pinball meets held at collectors homes across Melbourne, sometimes we hang out together checking out machines we hadn’t played before or other times he’d be off playing on the games with some of the other kids while I held the bar up. We became quite a pair and started doing interstate trips, sometimes a 9 hour each way roadtrip to pick up a machine or to an event like the Australian Pinfest. One year he told the Pinfest organizer that next year we’d bring a machine for the event, which at the time I dismissed but then as next year’s event planning got underway there I was putting my hand up to bring a machine. So we packed up The Shadow and off we headed to Newcastle over a 1000kms away, we had a great time as usual and my machine held up well to being played by the general public over the course of the weekend. We’ve also managed to sneak in some pinball time during a few European family holidays, with my son eagerly spotting pinball machines in cafes or bars as the rest of us are site seeing.

I find it funny that if we are on a game that we’ve never played or don’t know the rules, that more often than not he’ll easily beat me. Now often I’ll just have a bash, while enjoying the feel of the machine, the artwork, light show and sound effects; but he on the other hand will casually cast his eye over the rules listed on the instruction cards and then wipe the floor with me LOL! Unfortunately with my old eyes I struggle to read the instruction cards, so I always seem to be playing catchup. At home I still manage to beat him when we go head to head, but I play on the machine a lot more than he does. That said some of his ball skills, especially during multiball, far surpass mine so I’m not sure how long I’ll continue to be number 1 in the games room …

Pinfest 2018 (resized).jpgPinfest 2018 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Well, my kids are in their twenties now, but no, they don't beat me.

My daughter never really got interested, though she will play a game once in a while.
    My son used to play quite a bit (and was pretty good at one time), but doesn't really play anymore.

Here was us (in our heyday) at the Texas Pinball Festival in 2004. I won the EM tourney, he came in 3rd in the kid tourney, and we won the Parent-child tourney together. That was quite the day for us.

Of course, we're both looking a bit older now...(sigh)

pasted_image0 (resized).pngpasted_image0 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
    #3 3 years ago

The millennials at my house cannot find the joystick or mouse on the machine, so they are not that interested.
    Sometimes they will play if their friends come over and get interested, but it is rare.
    Seems like most of the kids these days are more interested in online gaming with many people simultaneously, from what I see.

#4 3 years ago

I have 4 boys ages 10 12 14 16...the 2 middle ones play once in a blue moon but my youngest and my oldest always wanna go against me....I probably beat them 60% of the time...they try hard..lol

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

The millennials at my house cannot find the joystick or mouse on the machine, so they are not that interested.
    Sometimes they will play if their friends come over and get interested, but it is rare.
    Seems like most of the kids these days are more interested in online gaming with many people simultaneously, from what I see.

I know what you mean, as my son is getting older he certainly spends far more time on the xbox or PC gaming so the interest in pinballs is waning, more so at home as he's still keen to go to meets and events, although it's been a long time since we've had those this year due to covid.

#6 3 years ago

If my teenager beat me, I would lock them in their room and call the police!

Wait, I don't have any teenagers, or any kids for that matter.

Little bastards!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

If my teenager beat me, I would lock them in their room and call the police!

LOL had to double check that I said "in pinball"

#8 3 years ago

Thankfully no kids here. I hear they are money sucking vultures.

#9 3 years ago

My 11 year old son would rather play his Xbox online even with a house full of pinball machines. He can’t stand the fact that his mother (who is a terrible gamer) can beat him consistently on the flippers.

#10 3 years ago

Not a teenager anymore, but my daughter a few years ago climbed as high as #4 in the world in the women's division of IFPA. So, yeah, she usually kicks my ass.

https://www.wmuk.org/post/kalamazoo-host-pinball-state-championships#stream/0

SarahSchudel (resized).jpgSarahSchudel (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-your-teenagers-into-pinball-and-do-they-beat-you?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.