(Topic ID: 163172)

Are You Really Losing Money If You Sell A Game For Less Than You Paid?

By Dooskie

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

If you buy a game for $3,000 to use at your house, spend another $1,500 or so to get it fixed, replace broken parts, a little refurb on the play field, and then turn around and sell it a year later for $4,000, have you really lost any money? Sure, you got $500 less than what you have into it, but does anyone ever consider how many games they played on the machine that they didn't have to drop quarters for?

So let's say you play 10 games a day (conservative number for me), 5 days a week, for 52 weeks, and the game would normally cost you 50 cents if you played it in a bar, you would have spent $1,300 dropping quarters during that time, not including all of the beer and nacho's you would have bought at said bar. So the way I look at it, you've actually come out $800 ahead. Isn't that a pretty good deal? I'd feel like I'd been paid $800 to play the machine for a year.

Thoughts anyone?

#2 7 years ago

No. That's called spending money. Losing money I equate to dropping my wallet somewhere.

#3 7 years ago

I compare my playcounts*the costs but it usually takes me a decade to make back the cost of the game

#4 7 years ago

not in my opinion, if I buy a TV set or a DVD player or a hot tub, I don't expect to get my money back. Heck I have to haul my old TVs sets to the dump to get rid of them and my old DVD, VCRs etc.. just get thrown in the trash.

I think pinball machines are pretty unique in keeping their value.

I think I lost the most theoretical value on XMLE but have probably made that back on my other pins (if I sold them that is). But even losing $1500 on XMLE is not that bad maybe $10/week so far but will be less as time goes on.

#5 7 years ago

Buying NIB and remakes for $8K a pop have made it hard for collectors to make a profit, when it comes time to sell.

We have seen examples of this already.

#6 7 years ago

Too often people selectively forget how $400+ of their NIB price was shipping

#7 7 years ago

You have $4.5K into something. Sell it for $4K. And wonder if you lost money.

You a government official ? Congressman ?

LTG : )

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Buying NIB and remakes for $8K a pop have made it hard for collectors to make a profit, when it comes time to sell.
We have seen examples of this already.

And many of the older overrated pins are losing value every day because of the "new NIB's and remakes for $8k a pop" because THOSE are the pins that people want.

Not so much the old "collectibles". But good luck with that.

#9 7 years ago

Depends on how much entertainment value the game provided.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You have $4.5K into something. Sell it for $4K. And wonder if you lost money.
You a government official ? Congressman ?
LTG : )

He might be an accountant. Probably depreciate the machine over 5 years. Taking depreciation into account, you would have a gain with a sale at 4k.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

He might be an accountant. Probably depreciate the machine over 5 years. Taking depreciation into account, you would have a gain with a sale at 4k.

The only way depreciation counts is if you can write it off on your taxes. Any other way, not so good.

If you play your pins, enjoy them, and then sell them later for a reasonable amount later then my suggestion is move on and let it go.

There is no "loss" here.

If you are worried about it then you shouldn't be buying any pinball machines. Invest in the stock market today

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And many of the older overrated pins are losing value every day because of the "new NIB's and remakes for $8k a pop" because THOSE are the pins that people want.
Not so much the old "collectibles". But good luck with that.

If I sold my TZ for $2K, I will still make double what I paid for it.

If I sell my MM for $6K, I will still make double what I paid for it.

If I sell my BBB for $8K, I will still make double what I paid for it.

Try doing that with your $8K NIB or remake.

Yes, you are going to lose money. Good luck with that.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Congrats

Nobody cares

Relics

But I do agree, you and another guy are good at math 2+2=4

#14 7 years ago

I'm constantly surprised when I see Big Buck Hunters and Shreks in the 4500-5000 range. I could buy a brand new game for that. Am I wrong for thinking that? I wouldn't mind trying BBH and Shrek but not for NIB price.

#15 7 years ago

It's a hobby - hobbies cost money

#16 7 years ago

I'm not sure the logic of games played on it = saving money from playing out in the wild holds up. It's like saying every movie you watch on your TV is saving you from spending $40 at the local AMC Theater. The logic holds true for operators who sell games for less than they paid NIB, but they made money every day on it.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

No wonder you were upset with the MMr. Now your double instead of quadruple your money.

#18 7 years ago

If you enjoyed restoring the game beyond what you played it, no.
A pinball hobbyist never gets a major return on his involvement based on hours of restoration.
If I restore a game for another the base rate is between $45-50/hour which is fairly common in this region.
This encompasses every aspect including parts. Specialized work can be higher, including building new cabinets or painting.
If you put a game in storage, versus selling it outright in a year, eventually you will recoup your costs if you properly protect it in a climate controlled environment.
That is what some do, when they wish to rotate their lineup.
Some collectors have had machines in storage for decades.

#19 7 years ago

Just wait until Gamestop starts buying and selling retro pins.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Some collectors have had machines in storage for decades.

That sounds more like how you treat wine vs pinball.

#21 7 years ago

Did you buy the game as an investment? (Do not do this!)
Then yes, you lost money on your investment.

Did you buy the game as a toy?
Then no, you paid for entertainment.

#22 7 years ago

I'm not sure. I've never sold a game for less than what I have into it...

#23 7 years ago

Since I bought my games well under market value at the time, I can call them an investment since IF I were to ever sell them, I'd most likely make a profit.

But in reality, I could care less. I'm just curious how long it'll take me to "play them until they're free"(like the op was alluding to). I know for a fact if the games I have were in an arcade somewhere and played as nice as mine do, I'd be there two or three times a week, if not more, dropping quarters in them. Once I hit that break even point, it's all gravy!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If you put a game in storage, versus selling it outright in a year, eventually you will recoup your costs if you properly protect it in a climate controlled environment.
That is what some do, when they wish to rotate their lineup.

This is what I do. But I'm not kidding myself: climate-controlled storage is costing me about $120 annually per stored game. That plus inflation eats away at any profit I might get from keeping them. I just like having games that I've already restored. Which reminds me, it's time to put Black Knight back in the gameroom.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Since I bought my games well under market value at the time, I can call them an investment since IF I were to ever sell them, I'd most likely make a profit.

Since I have some of my games set to take money instead of free play, I can call them an investment too. In fact that is what the makers of these games called them.

Those that say pinball machines are not meant to be an investment are full of BS. All coin operated machines are meant to be an investment.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Since I have some of my games set to take money instead of free play, I can call them an investment too. In fact that is what the makers of these games called them.
Those that say pinball machines are not meant to be an investment are full of BS. All coin operated machines are meant to be an investment.

That sounds like the difference between a speculative investment and a commercial investment.

#27 7 years ago

Not at all. I don't expect to sell for a profit, I sell to rotate the lineup.

Since I have bought pins that I enjoy of course it stands you sell for less that you paid. The enjoyment of owning and playing is priceless.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The only way depreciation counts is if you can write it off on your taxes.

I've been trying to find a way to spin mine as a business expense. My accountant won't let me.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That sounds like the difference between a speculative investment and a commercial investment.

These are commercial machines, designed to take and make commercial money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-really-losing-money-if-you-sell-a-game-for-less-than-you-paid?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.