(Topic ID: 300833)

Purchasing Stern Insider Connected For Your Machine?

By Vino

68 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by ExSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you planning on purchasing Stern Insider connected? ”

• Yes 33 votes
    23%
  • No 64 votes
    45%
  • Wait and see 44 votes
    31%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kirk-dont.gif

#1 68 days ago

Existing Stern Spike 2 owners, are you planning on purchasing the new Stern Insider Connected for your machine?

#2 68 days ago

Do you even have the option? I thought all new games will have them here on out and this is part of the reason of the increase?

EDIT: Gotcha, existing owners. I guess it depends on cost and what it ultimately brings to each game.

#3 68 days ago
kirk-dont.gif
#4 68 days ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Do you even have the option? I thought all new games will have them here on out and this is part of the reason of the increase.

He said existing owners. Like... you already own one.... but are you going to upgrade?

For me, it depends on the price of the upgrade. I'll wait until I actually see it in person. Hard to tell if it's worth the time or money.

#5 68 days ago

If it's the cost of a USB wireless network adapter then yes, I'll check it out. This is all that JJP requires for online code updates, hopefully Stern follows suit.

#6 68 days ago

I’m really curious to see what all they’re planning to do with it.

I have a Godzilla premium ordered, so I’m excited to have another facet of pinball to play with.

Honestly, in hope this opens up DLC.

Yes, I hope so.

Why? Because these new machines are 7-10k of crazy hardware with what boils down to a 20 dollar video game’s worth of software inside.

I would love to pay for entirely new code/rules/sound/mode packages. I get it, what would sell for 20 bucks in the video game world would need to be much more on the pinball side, because we all know that pinball sells a few thousand, video games sell millions. But I’d be down to pay even a few hundred for a whole new software set for a game.

Imagine when Stranger Things Season 4 comes out, and you can buy a whole new software package for it, that gives you the option to swap the season 1 & 2 modes for season 3 & 4. That would add so much replay value to an already existing expensive piece of machinery. All new music, call outs, modes, etc.

I also love the idea of custom user-made game modes, or sanctioned mods, like steam workshop. Can you imagine, being able to make your own modes, then upload them, then download all kinds of new user made content from Stern? It’s already like this on PC for games like Skyrim, but even consoles are getting in on it.

Ideally, it would be an original IP that would have a lot of modular aspects to the software, and maybe even the table as well, that would allow for a ton of variety and user made content.

And then there’s pin golf. Seems like a no brainer to upload / download or make custom courses.

Multiplayer or even co-op would be possible. I also love the idea of games having some kind of vs. modes. You could communicate settings between machines, or have the mode auto set all the machines to the same settings, to keep things fair.

You could do something like Nintendo with Tetris 99. Imagine 100 pinball machines all starting at the same time, playing a special elimination mode in Godzilla. Kinda like a battle royale.

Midnight madness could be expanded on, so think double xp weekends or something, or certain modes being tied to time. I’m dreaming of an Animal Crossing pinball machine, haha.

It’d be awesome to have multiple modes on pinball machines. Not just standard, tournament, co-op, and final wizard mode stuff, but tutorial / training modes. Designer commentary modes, videos on strategies, behind the scenes, or maybe even stuff like recording your inputs and sharing those online.... obviously it could never quite work the same, since each machine is going to be slightly different, but it’d be wild to watch the machine playback a game you just had somehow... yeah I don’t think this would work,haha.

But there’s just so much potential for this thing. Stern seems to be all-in on it, so I really hope they make it as compelling as I believe it could be.

#7 68 days ago

you have to be a special kinda nut to spend $8k on a game and get bent out of shape for paying $10/mo for any feature ya can put on it. Sure I'll try it out.

#8 68 days ago
Quoted from palmab03:

you have to be a special kinda nut to spend $8k on a game and get bent out of shape for paying $10/mo for any feature ya can put on it. Sure I'll try it out.

I’m curious if it’s about cost or just specific features people want to see as it develops.

#9 68 days ago
Quoted from palmab03:

Isn’t Stern Insider $40 / year, or are you talking about some other fee?

#10 68 days ago

If I pay 40 a year can I get the content for all my games?

#11 68 days ago
Quoted from palmab03:

I feel the opposite, if I paid 8k for a game, i better not get charged shit for anything else on it regarding code. We already have seen how this plays out in the game world. Holding back code, etc to 'release later' as paid content. No. Fuck them and anyone who supports that. Unless they are selling 100% finished code at launch, then no way. The arbitrary, we might finish it years later that is so prevalent in pinball will be doubly bad if they have incentive to not finish it.

Yes...I might feel a bit strongly about this topic.

#12 68 days ago

If the kits are 200 or less, I’ll put in all my games. I like the direction stern is going with the achievement system, etc. Stern is looking for ways to get new blood into the hobby in the age demographic where the hobby isn’t growing (20-35 year olds). This is a great first step.

#13 68 days ago

Just another money grab for Stern IMO.

#14 68 days ago

I will pass for now, and will do so without anger and rage.

Try it sometime! It's super easy.

#15 67 days ago
Quoted from JPloof:

If the kits are 200 or less, I’ll put in all my games. I like the direction stern is going with the achievement system, etc.

Yes, not sure about the initial hardware kit cost.
Maybe someone can chime in who can confirm.

#16 67 days ago

Only thing I've seen so far is about the wholesale price, but nothing about what it will actually cost consumers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/15#post-6498277

#17 67 days ago

we'll see what its like on the Godzilla premium I ordered. But most likely not. the games achievements themselves are all that I want to attain.

I'm 35, the ripe age for the achievement system for xbox 360 to be tested on, it worked and was highly addicting. But as I got older I didn't give a shit about sub games within a game and just wanted to enjoy the game for what it was. I imagine that mentality will continue with pinball.

#18 67 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

No. Fuck them and anyone who supports that. Unless they are selling 100% finished code at launch, then no way.

Since this thread is about putting the kit into existing games, I would say all of those have 100% finished code.

#19 67 days ago
Quoted from DNO:

Since this thread is about putting the kit into existing games, I would say all of those have 100% finished code.

Very fair point, but I still wouldn't support it.

Let me clarify though - I can see where...depending on features...it may be great for ops. As a home user, there would need to be some kind of blow my mind support for it/ features to even consider it. We've seen way too many of these 'big internet' ideas go nowhere and become an unsupported piece of junk.

#20 67 days ago

Will cost as much as topper then monthly fees ...

#21 67 days ago

Zero interest, but I'm just a home player so it doesn't do anything for me. And on dsl, wifi update won't work here.

#22 67 days ago

I'll consider buying Insider Connected for the games that I've not modded with Pinbrowser. Games like JP, ST, Beatles, TMNT are soooo much more engaging with original movie music and modified video from the movie/TV shows.
I'm concerned that Stern will require factory default audio and video and likely have some way to enforce it remotely.
not good.

1 week later
#23 58 days ago

I’m very curious and will wait to see what they do with Maiden and GOTG. I have a Premium Deadpool being built the next run so supposedly I’ll find out either way. Kinda looking forward to it.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside