(Topic ID: 347843)

Are You Planning To Spend More Or Less in 2024 On Pinball?Poll Inside!

By SantaEatsCheese

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you plan on spending more or less on Pinball in 2024?”

• I plan on spending more money in 2024 than I did in 2023. 40 votes
      14%
    • I spent more on pinball in 2023 than I plan to in 2024. 178 votes
      64%
    • About the same. 60 votes
      22%

(278 votes)

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 months ago

Are you planning on spending more or less money on pinball in 2024 than in 2023?

Answer the poll and/or feel free to tell us why!

#2 7 months ago

No way for me to know yet, probably about the same. Depends on what comes up for sale or what goes. The economy does little to affect what I buy as far as games go, but I am going through a bunch of renovations on my house, so I will probably blow less money on stuff like color DMDs. Except for the beautiful original Monster Bash I just made a deal on, definitely getting the color DMD for that haha.

#3 7 months ago

I bought (and sold) a P3 this year along with trading up some older pins for new Sterns so it will definatly be less for me. But that Stranger Things is calling my name...

#4 7 months ago

Who cares about that - the real question is are you turning that new pool into a skating rink for the winter??

#5 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Who cares about that - the real question is are you turning that new pool into a skating rink for the winter??

The freaking pool builder stood up the county inspector and won't return my messages. Going to probably get a lawyer involved after the holidays if he doesn't come around.

#6 7 months ago

Added a "about the same" option.

#7 7 months ago

It is hard to tell. I traded my Klondike for Wizard of Wor. I am also going to an auction today that has a Dealer's Choice. So, for this year I will be at a -1 or equilibrium. Next year will be near the same.

#8 7 months ago

Comet LED black Friday about extent outlay.
    Something breaks (how unlikely with pinballs) parts for repair may raise my expense.

Enjoy your day Shane

#9 7 months ago

I bought 6 games in 2023, I’ll be lucky if I buy 1 in 2024.

#10 7 months ago

After having sold off all my previous machines in 2019 I rebuilt my collection this year with five modern Sterns. Average price (after over paying for a Godzilla Premium) was around $9400. All paid for with no resulting debt but damn skippy I'm not doing that again. Only machines I'd be interested in going forward would be: A nice local ToM at a reasonable price (or an unlikely to be announced remake) or a AIQ Premium if they ever truly reach rock bottom price wise (I'm intrigued by it since I didn't think I'd like Stern JP because of difficulty rumors and now it's my favorite) but it's in no way a desirable pin and prices still don't reflect that IMO. AIQ would be by far the riskiest pin I've bought recently...not like I'd make money but I doubt any of the others would be hard to move if I wanted to sell.

#11 7 months ago

Don’t know but bought nothing in 2023 and only one month left.

#12 7 months ago

I rebuilt my entire collection in 2023 . The

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I bought 6 games in 2023, I’ll be lucky if I buy 1 in 2024.

Quoted from AMartin56:

After having sold off all my previous machines in 2019 I rebuilt my collection this year with five modern Sterns

Similar here. Sold entire collection years back and now finished rebuilding. 2 factors for me are A. not much space and just went crazy in 2023. B. rebuilding let me play all the games before buying except for FF. And seeing that price trend taught me to wait and play. So 2024 will be the PF LE ordered and after that I can fit maybe one more. So a lot of waiting to play and make sure the last spot is also a keeper.

#13 7 months ago

Poll Option #4: Depends on what new titles are released.

#14 7 months ago

i never really plan on buying games any more - if a project/deal pops up locally that I can fix/flip and make a couple bucks to help fund one of my current restoration projects I will throw my hat in the ring, but no purchases planned.

Bought 3 projects this year, sold one immediately, storing the other 2 cheap ems for a rainy day.

Recently sold ToM, IJ, BSD, and DE SW to finish paying off a divorce. I do plan on whittling the collection down a little further in the next couple years when i retire and probably downsize.

#15 7 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The freaking pool builder stood up the county inspector and won't return my messages. Going to probably get a lawyer involved after the holidays if he doesn't come around.

Kind of off topic...I just canceled a pool build contract due to a dis honest contractor. Why can't people just be honest and truthful.

I feel your pain.

#16 7 months ago

Jaws for sure, and possibly a new metallica are all I'm interested in this year. But will have to sell 1 to get both.

#17 7 months ago

Less. Inflation over the last few years has made nearly everything else more expensive.

So, it's not so much due to higher pinball costs. It's simply that everything else is eating into any "fun money."

#18 7 months ago

Listen to your government and crazy Levi the economy is STRONG!

But seriously... Definitely less/no NIB games. Gonna chill this coming year. Pokemon release will be a weakness for me, and I'm out of space anyway.

#19 7 months ago

I haven't bought a game since 2020, so since then I only spent money on maintenance and upgrades. I plan to get another game early next year, hopefully a HUO Spike 2 game. This is why I voted spend more in 2024 than 2023.

#20 7 months ago

Now that all depends on what’s coming out. Jaws for sure . If pokemon , back to the future come out then I’m in on all 3. My biggest problem is room. I’m maxed out so some will have to go unless I take over the wife’s gym. I think I can get 8 in there.

#21 7 months ago

Yes.

I am planning on spending more or less on pinball in 2024.

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes.
    I am planning on spending more or less on pinball in 2024.

... dang it.

#23 7 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Jaws for sure, and possibly a new metallica are all I'm interested in this year. But will have to sell 1 to get both.

Same boat most likely. Jaws and would need to sell something to get Metallica if that happens. Well I don't really need to sell anything dollar wise but space wise and peace of mind I would.

#24 7 months ago

Entered the hobby this year. I have room for 5 and bought 4 in 2023 for a game room expansion. The last spot is probably Jaws, and then I am done for the foreseeable future. I will have enough designer and layout variety to keep myself, friends, and family occupied for a long time to come. I got bit hard by the pin bug, but I am putting a fork in it post Jaws (assuming it lives up to the hype).

2024 will be focused on yard improvements including a raised-bed, vegetable garden.

#25 7 months ago

Too busy saving for a downpayment on a home since I don't have one at 2.5% when real estate was 35%+ cheaper before the plandemic.

Now....if we have fire sales where TZ is $5K or NIB Premium is ~$6K, I'll consider (will still probably pass though).

#26 7 months ago

All the bills are paid, got it made in the shade, and all I na na need is more pinball.

#27 7 months ago

*If Jaws* is indeed coming and looks good, that will be the one.

#28 7 months ago

at these new prices im done with nib after my stranger things arrives....no new games in twenty-four , unless van halen or floyd comes out.

#29 7 months ago

I’m recently back in the hobby and building out a new pinball/ office room. So I gotta put machines in it to keep my junkyard and hopefully incoming Godzilla premium company.

#30 7 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Why for sure? How about seeing it first. Too many folks ready to jump the shark.

Sterns nib pricing is already waaaay too high for what you get. Bttf by Dutch? Not ready in 2024, maybe 2025?

#31 7 months ago

Are we talking about NIB only, or used games as well? After buying several NIB games the last few years, I don't plan to buy any NIB anytime soon. Buying low play, used games at a discount is the way to go for me. Back to the way things "used to be".

#32 7 months ago

Probably less money. Bought a fair number of projects this year and most of the supplies to restore them. Next year will probably be spending time more than anything.

#33 7 months ago

I bought 27 pins in the last year and a half…I’m done!

#34 7 months ago
    Quoted from Minnpin65:

I bought 27 pins in a year and a half…I’m done!

You’re a fool. But damned if I don’t respect you for that.

Serious coin Amigo. But your collection shows zero pins?

#35 7 months ago
    Quoted from underlord:

But your collection shows zero pins?

Collection is either hidden or doesn’t care to add games on pinside. I just deleted all of mine on here when I lost track of what I had and when I got tired of saying no to offers to buy games I didn’t have listed.

#36 7 months ago

Every year since I got hooked into this, I’ve shuffled games in and out. The whole enchilada is paid for by pin project sweat equity. This year, I pretty much hit my sweet spot for wishlist fulfillment/era variety for space available. Of course, I have a couple temptations that keep that market hunt crawling along for fun, but don’t plan on changing anything up next year for the first time since maybe 2015.

#37 7 months ago

I plan on spending more on pinball in 2024…on location. The higher prices get the more I love supporting arcades across the country.

#38 7 months ago

For me it would be more trading as opposed to buying.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : Especially if a Labyrinth deal comes up.

#39 7 months ago

Not sure I can spend any less on pinball compared to 2023. Only bought one game and can't even remember buying any parts or anything else. Still on the look out for a Ringer or a Maverick though.

John

#40 7 months ago

Depends on if Stranger Things shows up this year or next, that will be my only new game purchase. Other than that I will only be buying projects that come my way at decent price. There no way to predict how many of those are in my future, but typically I get 3 or 4 projects a year.

#41 7 months ago

depends on when my Labyrinth ships. chances are good 2024 but i can always dream.

#42 7 months ago

As far 2024 I am over my max # of games and the resale market is very soft so it will most likely be a down year for me, but who knows? I certainly didn't expect this year to go as it did.

#43 7 months ago

Looking like more on machines, but hopefully less on mods and misc gameroom items.

#44 7 months ago

Hopefully way less. Some day I'll figure out how to get a grip on the spending. Sounds like a good New Year's Resolution...

#45 7 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

*If Jaws* is indeed coming and looks good, that will be the one.

It’s confirmed as supported by sightings going into Stern last week for what is thought the photo shoot.

#46 7 months ago

Everybody has got a different situation. I wish I was a router or had a barcade then I'd go crazy. As it is I just don't have room for more than three. And I honestly don't believe in owning more than one in-production pin at these crazy prices. So maybe I'll sell or trade one of mine for something if I see a sweet deal, but basically I don't anticipate putting more than a grand or two into pinball in 2024. I love pinball, but it's just about common sense; I'd rather buy a used corvette than Jaws, no matter how great it turns out.

#47 7 months ago

Been looking at the fun money tree and it is not looking better. The any money tree was destroyed in 2021. I still have some from years past in the lint and dust. Could trim the fat in food to help that But if something appears may do something. still on the fence on one thing.

#48 7 months ago

I heard in another thread that TZ @5k is a thing. Keep that hope alive.

Quoted from NPO:Too busy saving for a downpayment on a home since I don't have one at 2.5% when real estate was 35%+ cheaper before the plandemic.
    Now....if we have fire sales where TZ is $5K or NIB Premium is ~$6K, I'll consider (will still probably pass though).

#49 7 months ago

I still have a LOT of space to fill LOL...so 2024 is looking expensive.

#50 7 months ago

2023 was: Sold a game. Bought a more expensive game. Traded that game after some time. And bought an extra game in between.

Probably about the same. Currently only have a roster lineup filled 3/5 slots.

But I'm still pretty green to the hobby being only 2 years in... so there ya go.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.