(Topic ID: 203736)

Are you paying $1.00 a game to play pinball in your area?

By dcannan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by fish1975tx
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“will you pay $1.00 to play one game of pinball”

• yes it's worth it 74 votes
      54%
    • yes. but I'll play less 39 votes
      28%
    • wish i could but can't afford it 1 vote
      1%
    • no 23 votes
      17%

(Multiple choice - 137 votes by 134 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FC72FAD1-4DB1-49AF-AB5C-BB8020634B9D (resized).png
    6697F2B9-B335-4B6E-8359-259A5D504534 (resized).jpeg
    SternRepReferralScreenshot (resized).jpg
    IMG_3258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3257 (resized).JPG
    Drinking (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 6 years ago

standard here is
    .25 per play on EMS
    .50 per play on SS
    .75 or 3 for $2 on classic DMD (some DMDs are straight .75 because of how they price)
    New games are $1 when brand new. After a few months they typically go to 3 for $2
    JJP and more expensive stuff is $1 straight or 6 for $5

Reality is that your .50 to play in 1992 is .84 in todays market.

I hobby operate, but I am also ALWAYS happy to play a nice game for $1 per play and am thankful for those that put out nice games and maintain them.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

In Minneapolis we’re lucky that have two amazing barcarcades (Tilt and Up/Down). All the vids and pins are a quarter. Tilt will charge $.50 for the new games like Alien, TNA, and Guardians of the Galaxy. It’s heaven. There are several places to play around the Twin Cities that are $.50-$1 a game, but I simply stopped going there once these places opened.

You are spoiled with those prices for sure. Hope you are buying plenty of beers to keep them in business cause at a quarter per play they aint cutting much and likely losing on many.

I have seen that model go 1 of 2 ways. Either to complete freeplay to try and beat the competition and the games end up going to crap real quick. Or they get smart and up prices to .50 per play across the board (when you dont have a split then .50 per play plus beer sales seems to be enough to keep things running)

In Chicago, Logans Arcade chose the second model and it seems that they consistently have better quality games to play. That to me tells all pinhead to be wary of the model you support. Happy to hear Tilt has gone to .50 per play on the new stuff (that is what likely allows them to bring in the new stuff and keep it going).

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

I'm not sure that DFW would ever support pinball without a place like Versus, Nickelrama or Cidercade. And I believe that is because we have grown accustomed to playing nicely maintained machines in our own collections and at TPF. So any on route machine would have to live up to that expectation in order to get any serious coin drop here. Our players are not interested in playing pinball just to save pinball on route. They want an experience that is different from their personal collections, while maintaining the standards that their collections offer.

curious, are there no route players that are outside of the collector wordl in your area?

I used to think that was the case. Then we started putting games out and I quickly found out that the majority of regulars on route dont own any (or just 1) game, dont associate with the collector group, or are complete casuals.

I fully agree that good maintainence is key to any route (either hobby or those crazy enough to try and do it to make money), but just wanted to point out in my epxerience the hardcores are a small % of what I see playing around town.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I can absolutely be serious. But you seem to be getting worked up, so it’s probably be best we leave it at this.
    I never said being an opp is easy, but operators also don’t exist without customers. I’m not lying when I said I tilted on those games, and you have competition according to google maps that’s 120’ door to door from one of your locations that has two A-tier Sterns at half price and with what I personally felt was a more generous tilt.
    Also I never said I’d never return - again, maybe you’re so heated right now that, hell I don’t know, you’re maybe not reading everything I’m writing correctly or are just putting words in my mouth. I said based on the contrast of what we experienced on Tuesday, she wanted our “next time” (not forever like you claim I said) want to go to the place that had some great playing games at ridiculously low prices.
    I’m outta here too. I didn’t know speaking honestly about personal thoughts and experiences of $1/play in a $1/play thread was against the rules.

outside perspective here. It is not what you are saying but HOW you are saying it and WHERE you are saying it. To me is sounds like PinballMike is readily accessible and tries hard to maintain good games and in good condition. I am just guessing that his number is readily available on all games and you could have contacted him directly if you noticed some issues or what you make it sound like, super tight tilts that make games not worth playing.

From what I am reading here, I would be interpreting it the exact same way Mike is. I suggest taking it to PM and possibly edit your posts if you dont intend them to come off the way they are. Right now, you sound disgruntled and like you purposefully are trying to bash him and his business, but I think you genuinely would like to just be able to play good games on route and feel they are not too your liking.

I can say from experience that in general, most people always feel tilts are too tight on route. I can also say that they are usually set at a reasonable amount to prevent some from abuse and it is more likely your play style causing the tilts than the actual game (just based on you tilting a bunch of stuff). I am guessing you either have very loose tilts at home and have grown accustomed to it OR more likely you just play heavy handed or with body weight on your palms/resting on the lockdown? I personally have seen lots of people that just dont realize they are playing in this manner and how it will make a tilt bob pick up momentum.

Again, I suggest taking it to PM if you actually want to help.

last thing, most operators (both hobby and pro) have realized that they want to treat all customers well, but there are some you will be happy to loose.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dah-le:

In the hope of getting this thread back on topic regarding cost/play...Apologies in advance for the length.
    With all respect to operators who take care of their games, I think a higher cost/play *may* decrease the number of people willing to plunk their hard earned cash into a machine.
    I believe this is especially true for people who are new/unskilled (I qualify as more the latter now..but I still think I'm new).
    Even more so for games attractive to the new player, but drain very quickly (I'm looking at you Ghostbusters (Pro) )
    The net result is new/unskilled players can feel cheated...and I think this is much more likely at a higher cost.
    It seems there are definitely a few ways to take this...
    The number of folks returning to pay to play will decrease (I mean really, who wants to feel cheated?)
    The number of folks returning to pay to play will not increase (who will talk their friends into playing if they're not having fun?)
    My view of the world is "cheap" and somehow this makes me an evil customer taking money out of an operators pocket?
    I obviously am speaking a bit tongue in cheek here.
    I get that margins are razor thin (especially taking into account all the legal costs...taxes/insurance costs are crazy high relative to coin drop!)
    I also well understand inflation that has occurred over the past 20+ years (if only it was $1/gal for gas like back in the day!)
    Finally I believe you get what you pay for most of the time (Ferrari's don't sell at Chevy prices unless they're completely obliterated)
    However, I'm also thinking of 2 experiences (both solo) this week at 2 different locations:
    1- I spent $5 on 5 games, $25 on food & one beer. The games were in great shape...I had fun and I went specifically to play a particular pin, but I'm not sure if I'll be back or not.
    2- I spent $5 on 20+ games (and got some replays/matches along the way), $8 on one beer (yeah it's outrageous)...I'm sure that I'll be back even though the games are not in as nice a shape (but they're not malfunctioning).
    This is an unfair comparison since the location in #1 is more out of the way for me...but if it was a less expensive experience, or I got to play more, I'd go out of my way to stop there.
    Hopefully some level of sustainability will occur somehow, it would stink to lose the pinball opportunities that have recently returned (new locations, new machines, new manufacturers).
    ps. To give you an idea of my skill level, I don't usually come in last in my weekly league anymore but I doubt I'd have kept coming back and been able to improve without being able to take advantage of lower cost/play opportunities somewhere.

As a hobby operator we try to provide a variety and that would be my suggestion to anyone else wanting to try it.
    The best location will have at least one .25 game (EM), one .50 game, one .75 classic, and one $1 new game.

I agree with vireland that the reality is different that what you state. Your opinion is valuable, just pointing out it is different than the majority based on the coin drop and watching people play. I want the variety on route, but the newer games get the most play.

I will say that I firmly believe in trying to help new people not feel cheated. We regularly turn up ball saver and I think that is one of the most important settings to change from default. It allows a house ball to come back to life and that is good for casuals to feel they are getting a value. The good players dont need it so it wont make their games any longer.

I would say that unless you live in an already thriving pinball town (i.e. Seattle) then you should expect to be paying $1 on all new games IF you want to keep seeing new games. I would say that if you are comfortable playing all older games in poor condition then continue to support the operators that provide that service. I personally want to bring new pinball to the masses and also provide options which all give them a good playing experience but also allow us to continue to add new stuff to the line up.

To put it as simply as I can, we are over 4 years in and have not taken a single quarter out of a game in that time. Every single coin dropped goes to split, game maintenance, insurance, fees, etc... and what is left over goes towards paying down the loans (slowly) or buying new games (both older stuff to fully refurbish and brand new stuff) to put on route for the community to enjoy. We have 3 members in our hobby operating group and all 3 of us spend considerable time every week to keep the games running. We dont take out a dime for our time and often make poor business decisions for the benefit of supporting the scene with new stuff (good business decisions would be to buy only old classics and never take a risk on something brand new that costs a bunch).

What am I getting at... Well if you look at it for the time invested, I would be smarter flipping burgers for 10 hours each week (that includes accounting for any possible value the games have once paid off) and I cant imagine anyone attempting to do this fr a living is getting rich. It is some degree of passion project for anyone attempting to keep pinball alive and growing (likely lots of passion, or is it obsession ) and to do it, games simply HAVE to be at $1 per play and NEED the support of pinheads alongside the casuals if you want to see it grow and continue. I would love to be in one of the select towns where the numbers possibly work out to be able to put stuff at .50 like it was 1994 and I also understand the tactical pleasure of dropping in 2 quarters and perceived value of doing so... Sadly the world has changed around pinball, and if pinball is forever perceived as needing to be .50 for pinheads (I assume if you are on this forum then you are way more of a pinhead than most) then it wont succeed in the long run.

Last thing I will add and LTG mentioned it, but it may be worth switching a little of that money from the food/beer fund into the pinball fund
    It is always good to help support the bar where you play, but go for the tall boy instead of that $8 drink

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-paying-100-a-game-to-play-pinball-in-your-area?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.