(Topic ID: 203736)

Are you paying $1.00 a game to play pinball in your area?

By dcannan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by fish1975tx
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“will you pay $1.00 to play one game of pinball”

• yes it's worth it 74 votes
      54%
    • yes. but I'll play less 39 votes
      28%
    • wish i could but can't afford it 1 vote
      1%
    • no 23 votes
      17%

(Multiple choice - 137 votes by 134 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FC72FAD1-4DB1-49AF-AB5C-BB8020634B9D (resized).png
    6697F2B9-B335-4B6E-8359-259A5D504534 (resized).jpeg
    SternRepReferralScreenshot (resized).jpg
    IMG_3258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3257 (resized).JPG
    Drinking (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

VUK and Lyman's both own their own machines, which isn't usually the case for route pinball. They get 100 percent of the coin drop.

Lyman's doesn't own their machines, they're owned and operated by Dave Barber aka DAB Amusements. I don't know what the split is, though.

#110 6 years ago

I'm 99% sure it's all Dave Barber. Although sometimes he subcontracts with local pinheads to put their games on location.

Last I heard the Black Cat was a mix of the owner's games and games owned and operated by the former Town Hall op, Chris - maybe you were thinking of that.

As to the pricing, I have no idea. I know that I can go spend a couple hours playing and maybe spend $10, which always seems like a crazy value.

#114 6 years ago

To be fair, the ability to win replays and matches were part of what got me hooked on pinball initially - it's a significant differentiator from other coin op games. I think it'd be much better to reduce the match percentage and up the replay score thresholds without killing this unique aspect of the game entirely.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

I understand your point. But the operators were not putting games out before these places opened their doors. DFW was a strong collector area, but the machines on route were few and far between. And nobody, outside of the Movie Theaters and Nickelrama, were putting games on location once the well known arcades started to fade.
    Personally, I enjoy supporting these businesses that decided to invest so much time and money into creating a great pinball experience. And if that means that some other operators will not try to compete with them by placing traditionally priced games throughout the DFW Area, then I'm ok with with that trade off.
    My 0.02.
    Marcus

Gotta agree with this. Here in DC we had a (very) few scattered route games that were barely maintained and $1 a game for years, and almost nothing else. Now that we have several locations dedicated to pinball, the handful of op-of-all-trades route games out there stick out as a sore thumb even more. No one would miss them if they went away. If anything, locations should be encouraged to work with pincentric ops - because the maintenance is beyond the traditional ops.

1 year later
    #183 5 years ago

Places that are able to charge 50 cents for newer games tend to be hobby locations, not profitable businesses.

I have no problem paying $1 if the games are well maintained, have the latest code, and have a reasonable tilt setting. The irony around here is the $1 games are those put out by larger ops who never maintain games or update code. The 50 cent games are the hobby op situations where everything is kept updated and beautiful. So $1 for *worse* games is a tough pill to swallow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-paying-100-a-game-to-play-pinball-in-your-area?tu=westofrome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.