(Topic ID: 203736)

Are you paying $1.00 a game to play pinball in your area?

By dcannan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by fish1975tx
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“will you pay $1.00 to play one game of pinball”

• yes it's worth it 74 votes
      54%
    • yes. but I'll play less 39 votes
      28%
    • wish i could but can't afford it 1 vote
      1%
    • no 23 votes
      17%

(Multiple choice - 137 votes by 134 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FC72FAD1-4DB1-49AF-AB5C-BB8020634B9D (resized).png
    6697F2B9-B335-4B6E-8359-259A5D504534 (resized).jpeg
    SternRepReferralScreenshot (resized).jpg
    IMG_3258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3257 (resized).JPG
    Drinking (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Nickelrama Arcade (Stern Army Location) in Garland TX has a $3.00 entry fee and $0.20 (twenty cents) per game. They have all of the latest machines,

where do they make their money from?
    it can't be from the games, .20 cent games might pay for the decals and part of the maintenance for the year.

#29 6 years ago

looks more like an arcade on their website, though I've never been there.
    the one "free play" place in the area that has the latest games is also a distro cost $15 bucks at the door, but they are only open from 9am to 2am and only two days a month.
    I went there for one of those opening and only wound up staying for a little over an hour. Probably only played 10 games, because it was so crowded. not like show crowded, but crowded crowded. the games filled up after 10pm and everyone just camped out. you had to maneuver btwn people when it was your turn to play.

I think it's great they are doing well, but not my cup of tea, I'd rather pay the dollar.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

my epxerience the hardcores are a small % of what I see playing around town.

mainly what I see, as well.

We have a couple "free play" arcades here in Houston. They both have a few recent titles, mainly oldies. I try to make the trip out there a couple times a month but damn that 30 min drive. Only been to the game preserve though.

The one crappy thing about free play is, when you go to play a game, there is always some little kid that was nice enough to start a 4 player game for you. Kinda wish they would nix the door fee and just make the games 25 or 50 cents or something. They would definitely make more off me and I'd be happy to pay the extra cost. Also it seems like a maintenance nightmare for the owners. But hey... if their happy, I'm happy. For $15 bucks, I'll play a few 4p games.

I've never been to the places in dallas, I did go to the original pinballz in Austin. That place is awesome, I didn't have an issue paying $1 a game for the newer titles. I'd be spending a lot more money on location if there was something like that out here.

1 week later
    #154 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I meant in Dallas...you know...somewhere I can actually reasonably go without a 7 hour round trip drive... CJ is awesome, but I'm not driving all that way just to burn some quarters...
    *Edit* And the first person that suggests Pinballz gets punched in the face. Fair warning.

so these barcades in dallas or where ever, how much does a pint of Bud light, Shiner, Guinness, etc. cost at places that have it?
    since they have to subsidize the games with alcohol, I would assume the price of drinks would have to be at least 1/3 or more higher then your average price.

Quoted from Frax:

*Edit* And the first person that suggests Pinballz gets punched in the face. Fair warning.

pinballz is nice, the original one anyway. They have a huge selection, they obviously aren't on free play, but there aren't many places that are. the price tags they have on games are a joke. I don't care for the glitchy card/token system, and some of there machines could use some work, but all in all its a fun place.

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

$5 or $6 a pint with $3.50 Rolling Rock pours for the cheapskates.

Our cheapest ones are a little more then half that average price. $3 bucks for domestic (I.E. Bud light, miller) $4 to $5 for import, microbrews & seasonals and $7 to 8 for specialty (limited runs). Location and rent play a big part on pricing as well. Could see it working if your main pull was video games/pinball. It would basically be the same as a bar paying for live entertainment i.e. Band, D.J. or someone to host trivia, bingo etc.. but instead using that money for cheaper games.

Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

$6 for 12oz. at cidercade. and it's just ciders, no beer or liquor.

Just checked their site, I'm sure they do really well. Especially since they make it. One of these days I'm going to make a trip up there.

1 week later
    #162 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Cidercade is like 6 or buck drinks...but it's locally produced cider, not some weak low-ABV garbage like bud light...you can't even buy normal beer at Cidercade. Prices at Free Play are reasonable, but a stretch from *good* and not *great*.
    I don't care what the prices of alcohol are...I don't drink at those places. I think you're dismissing the fact that all these places have a "cover charge" just to get in the door. When the entry fee is as much as 10 bucks, that's quite a lot of pinball to make up for the initial fee assuming 50 cent games. If I buy alcohol, it's just because I wanted something specific, not because ERMAGERD ALCOHOL I MUST HAVE IT BUT I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE.

so if you had to choose a cover charge or 50 cent games you would go with the latter? assuming it's a barcade type place that subsidizes cheaper games in place of live entertainment.

The two places we have are 15 bucks, and as of now are only really worth going if you like old vintage arcade games. Most the pins aren't really working well at the main place and I already own most of the machines at the other.

At pinballz I can blow through 15 bucks pretty fast depending on if it game I'm not familiar with, so 15 seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Usually when I go to one of our 15 dollar places I spend btwn 4-6 hrs. Since it takes btwn 30-45 min to get there.
    Could see it not being worth it if you only stayed an hour or less.
    you guys are lucky in dallas for sure, appreciate the info.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-paying-100-a-game-to-play-pinball-in-your-area?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.