Are you paying $1.00 a game to play pinball in your area?

(Topic ID: 203736)

Are you paying $1.00 a game to play pinball in your area?

By dcannan

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“will you pay $1.00 to play one game of pinball”

• yes it's worth it 63 votes
      53%
    • yes. but I'll play less 34 votes
      29%
    • wish i could but can't afford it 1 vote
      1%
    • no 21 votes
      18%

(Multiple choice - 119 votes by 117 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SternRepReferralScreenshot (resized).jpg
    IMG_3258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3257 (resized).JPG
    Drinking (resized).jpg

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Hey Hilton, now that I’m not in meetings, after reading everything, yeah I can see I came off a bit combative. But at the same time, this is a $1/play thread, and I do feel like my recent $1/play experiences are pertinent... especially with what I felt was a serious trend one recent night. Still giving you an upvote though as you are trying to at least consider both sides.
    Perhaps I could’ve been a bit more tactful, but on the other head of the same coin, I’m not shocked the supporting upvotes for the opposing viewpoint are from other opps and tech support folks. Also my viewpoints were intended to be constructive. Why would I actually refer and then SHOW my referral about the guy I’m allegedly, but not factually, slandering?
    I hope you saw in all my posts that I was on the whole supportive of the local establishments, and some of my comments were indeed either misinterpreted or even misquoted. You may disagree with me, but I won’t allow words to be put in my mouth.
    I’m a customer, but if you knew me and my girlfriend in person, you’d know my GF is one of the few/only females in the hobby that has held the title “Pinball Technician”. She’s no slouch. She worked at the Pinball Wizard Arcade in NH that unfortunately closed this year. She fully knows the tilt mech’s of 110 concurrent location pins under one roof (at a notoriously tight place!) , and I’m not a noob in the slightest seeing how I’ve been playing location pins since the 1980’s. We both thought something was up Tuesday night, and due to our combined experience in this hobby, it’s not completely unwarranted or irrelevant. And I’m sorry but it’s not off limits to mention when there’s a neighboring place that’s at the moment more attractive. I know we are supposed to look out for our own here, but we shouldn’t shun places or people that are routing A-tier games for great prices.
    I made some points and I don’t think I misstated anything from a factual POV. I also think all my opinions we’re presented fairly in a discussion about $1/play thread.
    However, I’m wiped I spent 2 hours at one of Mike’s customers house tonight and with other normal parenting BS, I now I need to call it a night. If tomorrow I see that I was seriously out of line, I’ll humbally edit my posts. But I hope opps like you can understand that I had an honest opinion, and those opinions from a customer (as much as you may disagree) are still valid... especially from a guy who is still emphatic and positive about the locations in question and had F’ing referred someone to the operator in the last day... who now apparently misquotes me and hates me.

No hate here. You are welcome to enjoy my machines anytime. All I ask is that if you have any issues in the future that you give us a chance to address them BEFORE you take your complaints to the internet. Thanks.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Cactus Jack's Oklahoma City. The late models are all .75 per game. In the back room: EBD restored/.25 play, Fathom/.50 play, Interflip Dragon/ NOS pin/.25 play, High Speed/ .25 play. And a couple of others.

I meant in Dallas...you know...somewhere I can actually reasonably go without a 7 hour round trip drive... CJ is awesome, but I'm not driving all that way just to burn some quarters...

*Edit* And the first person that suggests Pinballz gets punched in the face. Fair warning.

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I meant in Dallas...you know...somewhere I can actually reasonably go without a 7 hour round trip drive... CJ is awesome, but I'm not driving all that way just to burn some quarters...
    *Edit* And the first person that suggests Pinballz gets punched in the face. Fair warning.

I’ve never been to Dallas, but I hear Pinballz is pretty good.

1 week later
    #154 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

so these barcades in dallas or where ever, how much does a pint of Bud light, Shiner, Guinness, etc. cost at places that have it?
    since they have to subsidize the games with alcohol, I would assume the price of drinks would have to be at least 1/3 or more higher then your average price.

Quoted from Frax:

pinballz is nice, the original one anyway. They have a huge selection, they obviously aren't on free play, but there aren't many places that are. the price tags they have on games are a joke. I don't care for the glitchy card/token system, and some of there machines could use some work, but all in all its a fun place.

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

so these barcades in dallas or where ever, how much does a pint of Bud light, Shiner, Guinness, etc. cost at places that have it? since they have to subsidize the games with alcohol, I would assume the price of drinks would have to be at least 1/3 or more higher then your average price.

Not necessarily, if they're making it up in volume. The markup on booze in your average bar is quite high. So if they draw 20% more folks with the games than without, they're probably paying for themselves and then some. The 1Up barcades in Denver have $.50 pinball (new JJPs are the only exception at $1) and beers are standard price for the neighborhood, $5 or $6 a pint with $3.50 Rolling Rock pours for the cheapskates.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

so these barcades in dallas or where ever, how much does a pint of Bud light, Shiner, Guinness, etc. cost at places that have it?

$6 for 12oz. at cidercade. and it's just ciders, no beer or liquor.

#157 1 year ago

The operators in Denver spoil us... Great games and a great price. Rarely have to pay more than 50c.

#158 1 year ago

Man, I've yet to see a game set to $1 in the Salt Lake area. Most of our games are $0.50 or less. Some at $0.75, but not often. Some of our best locations are nickel arcades with $2.00 entry and $0.15 a play.

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

$5 or $6 a pint with $3.50 Rolling Rock pours for the cheapskates.

Our cheapest ones are a little more then half that average price. $3 bucks for domestic (I.E. Bud light, miller) $4 to $5 for import, microbrews & seasonals and $7 to 8 for specialty (limited runs). Location and rent play a big part on pricing as well. Could see it working if your main pull was video games/pinball. It would basically be the same as a bar paying for live entertainment i.e. Band, D.J. or someone to host trivia, bingo etc.. but instead using that money for cheaper games.

Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

$6 for 12oz. at cidercade. and it's just ciders, no beer or liquor.

Just checked their site, I'm sure they do really well. Especially since they make it. One of these days I'm going to make a trip up there.

1 week later
    #160 1 year ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

how much does a pint of Bud light, Shiner, Guinness, etc. cost at places that have it?

Cidercade is like 6 or buck drinks...but it's locally produced cider, not some weak low-ABV garbage like bud light...you can't even buy normal beer at Cidercade. Prices at Free Play are reasonable, but a stretch from *good* and not *great*.

I don't care what the prices of alcohol are...I don't drink at those places. I think you're dismissing the fact that all these places have a "cover charge" just to get in the door. When the entry fee is as much as 10 bucks, that's quite a lot of pinball to make up for the initial fee assuming 50 cent games. If I buy alcohol, it's just because I wanted something specific, not because ERMAGERD ALCOHOL I MUST HAVE IT BUT I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE.

#161 1 year ago

I play alot at sparks in chesterfield michigan and he has a TON of awesome b/w a list titles. He charges 50 a game. 75 for the premium titles. He only charges 1.00 for the couple newer sterns he has. Simply put this is the best pinball venue ive ever been to. Us SE michiganders are a lucky bunch!

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Cidercade is like 6 or buck drinks...but it's locally produced cider, not some weak low-ABV garbage like bud light...you can't even buy normal beer at Cidercade. Prices at Free Play are reasonable, but a stretch from *good* and not *great*.
    I don't care what the prices of alcohol are...I don't drink at those places. I think you're dismissing the fact that all these places have a "cover charge" just to get in the door. When the entry fee is as much as 10 bucks, that's quite a lot of pinball to make up for the initial fee assuming 50 cent games. If I buy alcohol, it's just because I wanted something specific, not because ERMAGERD ALCOHOL I MUST HAVE IT BUT I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE.

so if you had to choose a cover charge or 50 cent games you would go with the latter? assuming it's a barcade type place that subsidizes cheaper games in place of live entertainment.

The two places we have are 15 bucks, and as of now are only really worth going if you like old vintage arcade games. Most the pins aren't really working well at the main place and I already own most of the machines at the other.

At pinballz I can blow through 15 bucks pretty fast depending on if it game I'm not familiar with, so 15 seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Usually when I go to one of our 15 dollar places I spend btwn 4-6 hrs. Since it takes btwn 30-45 min to get there.
    Could see it not being worth it if you only stayed an hour or less.
    you guys are lucky in dallas for sure, appreciate the info.

#163 1 year ago

I enjoy places that charge admission, then all the pins are on free play. It allows me to try so games I normally wouldn’t pay for. I enjoy Uptown Pinbal in Martinsville VA, he keeps all his pins in great working condition

#164 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I enjoy places that charge admission, then all the pins are on free play. It allows me to try so games I normally wouldn’t pay for. I enjoy Uptown Pinbal in Martinsville VA, he keeps all his pins in great working condition

I actually hate these places, as you get people/kids that add 4 players and don't finish a game, or games that have so many plays on them, that they play like crap and aren't maintained. The place here locally has, B or C title games, color-bombed LEDs, errors/malfunctions, and just terrible shooting games. I would much rather pay the $1 and get a full playing, clean, well maintained game, for a proper experience.

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I actually hate these places, as you get people/kids that add 4 players and don't finish a game, or games that have so many plays on them, that they play like crap and aren't maintained. The place here locally has, B or C title games, color-bombed LEDs, errors/malfunctions, and just terrible shooting games. I would much rather pay the $1 and get a full playing, clean, well maintained game, for a proper experience.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Mike at Uptown Pinball keeps all of his machines in amazing shape. Everything works great and he takes pride in his pins. Unfortunately a lot of people are in it just for money and don’t care about the customers. If you’re ever near southern VA, go check him out

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

so if you had to choose a cover charge or 50 cent games you would go with the latter? assuming it's a barcade type place that subsidizes cheaper games in place of live entertainment.
    The two places we have are 15 bucks, and as of now are only really worth going if you like old vintage arcade games. Most the pins aren't really working well at the main place and I already own most of the machines at the other.
    At pinballz I can blow through 15 bucks pretty fast depending on if it game I'm not familiar with, so 15 seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Usually when I go to one of our 15 dollar places I spend btwn 4-6 hrs. Since it takes btwn 30-45 min to get there.
    Could see it not being worth it if you only stayed an hour or less.
    you guys are lucky in dallas for sure, appreciate the info.

Yeah, I prefer to know what I'm paying up front. Especially when there's EM, Early solid state, or brand new Sterns in play... if I had to pay a buck a play for Ghostbusters, I only would've ever played a few games. But at 20 cents, I'll play it way more than theoretical number of games I would've played x 5, or flat fee, I just play until I drop.

Quoted from FatPanda:

I would much rather pay the $1 and get a full playing, clean, well maintained game, for a proper experience.

I don't necessarily disagree with this at all...it's just that in my locale, THANKFULLY, we don't have to make this judgement call. =|

1 year later
    #167 12 days ago

PIZZAJ is Providence RI is all .50 plays with SPP SS AFM TFTC BSD SP STNG LOTR JP CFTBL SG SMB T2 ...all games are well dialed in. Check it out!

Quoted from hool10:Every place in New England is a $1 and sometimes the new games cost like $1.25 or $1.50. Only in like NYC and NJ you start seeing .75 and .50 cent games. Even tournaments are expensive at like $10 a league night and $30 tourney fees. Pinball is super expensive to play. I have heard it's well over a $1 overseas. Another reason why pinball will never become super big like say a videogame. With a videogame it's $60 and then the DLC and if you really like the game you start buying the infamous "loot boxes". You don't have to buy loot boxes or DLC to play the game though. It's just the nature of the beast especially when Marco sells an arm and a leg for stuff. Yes I was SUPER shocked too when I re-found pinball again because I remember when it was .50 cents a game.

Especially with $9k or $6.5k games!

#168 12 days ago

I was just at Triple Knock in Tacoma Washington yesterday and all the games that I played were 50 cents except for JJP Pirates which was 75 cents. The games are all in good shape and are well maintained and the beer prices aren't too bad for a barcade.

#169 12 days ago
    Quoted from chippe01:

Sunshine Laundromat is 75 cents for all games. That seems a fair price, considering how well the machines are maintained. I've played over 200 games on various machines, and not once have I gotten a match! Since I don't know what I'm doing on the new machines, games are VERY short.

they own the games so they get 100% of the revenue so they can charge less. if an operator places a game somewhere, chances are they don't get 100% and gas and time going to locations warrants $1 per play, 1 or 2 extra balls and not set up to win games over and over.
    have you been to the movies and paid for popcorn lately?.
    pinball is great entertainment. cheap IMO at $1 per play.

#170 12 days ago

Funny Pinballz seems to be mentioned. EM's are 2 tokens, SS are 3 tokens and most modern/DMD games are 3 tokens to 5 tokens. I say tokens on purpose as they just changed their pricing. You now get 3 for a $1. EM's are $.66 and on 3 ball, Medusa, Jackbot, Dirty Harry types of games are now $1, Sterns are $1.33 a play and if you want to play Star Wars it will cost you $1.66.

#171 12 days ago

I am paying around $7200 shipped to play a game....

#172 12 days ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Funny Pinballz seems to be mentioned. EM's are 2 tokens, SS are 3 tokens and most modern/DMD games are 3 tokens to 5 tokens. I say tokens on purpose as they just changed their pricing. You now get 3 for a $1. EM's are $.66 and on 3 ball, Medusa, Jackbot, Dirty Harry types of games are now $1, Sterns are $1.33 a play and if you want to play Star Wars it will cost you $1.66.

I now know from experience that it's very difficult to break even, much less actually earn money, operating a pinball-only entertainment facility. I don't know the financial situation at Pinballz….I've only been there once, for a tournament a few years ago. I don't remember having any complaints at that time. On the surface, $1.33 - $1.66 seems excessive... yet if they have to pay rent for the building, employees, insurance, electricity, depreciation on the games, maintenance, etc. it can be very difficult if not impossible to do so at 50-75 cents per play unless you have a lot of volume or have something like alcohol sales to subsidize the pinball play.

I don't mind $1 or even a bit more per play, *IF* the machines are well maintained and aren't set crazy difficult, have a reasonable replay value, and the match percentage is somewhere near factory.

When someone puts money in one of the games here at Blizzard Mountain, I want that machine to play as good as possible. I want the person playing to feel like they got their money's worth in entertainment, whether they dropped 50 cents or $1.25.

Kevin

P.S. No, I don't have any $1.25 games currently - top price is currently $1.00 if you use quarters. However, when JJP Pirates gets here, it'll likely be $1.25. Players do get discounts when they use a swipe-card so the average cost per game is less...

#173 11 days ago

Sure! But there's a place in my area that charges 2,50$ (CAD $) for 1 game. Still, it's "okay"... but 1,90 / 2$ USD for a "rigged" The Rolling Stones game... I don't think it's right. I mean, only 3 of the 4 leg levelers are touching the floor, it's not leveled at all and both side drains are pushed to the max.

#174 11 days ago

At a mall arcade in Fort Myers FL they have two modern Stern machines set at $2.50. Ouch, among the highest I have ever seen or heard.

#175 11 days ago

As an operator I have yet to have any desire to go over $1/play. I have seen it and it doesn't feel right. Games are at an all time high in terms of cost but I still feel $1 is the max a player will come back and play again. It's not about getting one play and walk away. We set our games fair and hope you see the value.

#176 11 days ago
    Quoted from GSones:

I was just at Triple Knock in Tacoma Washington yesterday and all the games that I played were 50 cents except for JJP Pirates which was 75 cents. The games are all in good shape and are well maintained and the beer prices aren't too bad for a barcade.

Triple knock rocks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside