(Topic ID: 185543)

Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018? POLL

By pinlink

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018 regarding the $1 entry fee?”

• YES 217 votes
      50%
    • NO 213 votes
      50%

(430 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    MeanMeanest (resized).jpg
    85c588a29c8804b1e95223ed060880e7_one-dollar-bob-on-make-a-gif-one-dollar-bob-gif_320-180 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 3.40.48 PM (resized).png
    IMG_4979 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1567 (resized).png
    bop (resized).jpg
    large_uAvG211cGNKSFyPzXFVMZzjkBB8 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    1mlwhh (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider u2sean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Gotta put my TD's to work!

I have been reading these threads and haven't made any comments but wanted to get a few thoughts out.

First of all, I run tournaments in Madison, WI. For a long time, WI was a pinball wasteland. There was literally ONE tournament a year that people started going to. Yes, there was an entry fee and everyone was happy to pay it. Even us schlubs who knew we wouldn't be getting anything back out of it!

Fast forward a couple of years. Games are now available to play in public locations, monthly tournaments are occurring. Why? Two-fold. First and foremost, to introduce (or reintroduce) pinball players, get together, and hang out and have fun doing something we enjoy. Secondly, to introduce NEW people to playing by making it casual and fun. Mixing new people in with seasoned veteran players has always worked out well. They learn the ropes, and many of them have found their way into the "fold" so to speak. There's absolutely no barrier to entry such as asking for $5 to participate - if we had done that I feel that most people who have never played before would probably just say "No thanks, I'll just watch". We still get new players participating every month. Because of this, there's a really fantastic crew of players in WI / MN that now get together to play some pinball and hang out.

TD's already do a lot of work. Have to coordinate the space, figure out the rules of the tourney, setup a web page so that it can be accessible for public, promote it so people show up, submit the request to IFPA, actually RUN the tournament (there's never any drama in pinball, right?!??), consolidate results, submit to IFPA. This is done voluntarily. I personally enjoy meeting new players, getting people (especially kids) interested in pinball, etc and don't mind doing it. Now we will be asking for $1 per player, and adding a few additional tasks of collecting and paying money to that list.

Will doing so Promote Pinball? My opinions: For seasoned players and regulars, SOMEWHAT. For new players, NO.

I understand the prize pools for SCS and National is what's trying to be raised here so that we can promote these larger annual events. However, in doing this I really hope that sight of all the smaller events that are used to rank players isn't lost. If those start going away due to lack of interest / ambition / whatever, pinball will once again crawl back into it's hidey hole.

I'll be keeping an eye on how this unfolds in the coming months.

- Sean

#151 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

If they do we have our "Stage 2" for 2019 ready to go with our "Professional" ($1 fee) and "Amateur" (no fee) systems so people who are serious can enjoy one rankings system, while the larger group of non-serious players can enjoy our second rankings system.

Thanks for reading my windy response, Josh! I guess I'm a little bummed that something like this can't be implemented sooner instead of having to wait another year. Ultimately, I would really like a way to have both Professional and Amateur play *together* in the same tournament, and not have to wait until 2019. That's like 12 dog years from now...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider u2sean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-in-favor-of-the-ifpa-changes-for-2018-poll?tu=u2sean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.