(Topic ID: 185543)

Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018? POLL

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018 regarding the $1 entry fee?”

• YES 217 votes
      50%
    • NO 213 votes
      50%

(430 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    MeanMeanest (resized).jpg
    85c588a29c8804b1e95223ed060880e7_one-dollar-bob-on-make-a-gif-one-dollar-bob-gif_320-180 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 3.40.48 PM (resized).png
    IMG_4979 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1567 (resized).png
    bop (resized).jpg
    large_uAvG211cGNKSFyPzXFVMZzjkBB8 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    1mlwhh (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdawg4422.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 7 years ago

So i play in 3 leagues a week and usually 2-4 tournaments per month. Does this mean i am going to be charged $4 a week to play pinball? thats 4*52=$208 a year in fees?!?!

Quoted from parabol420:

I have played in all sorts of other competitive leagues, namely dart leagues. They collect MUCH more for the governing body and use it to make the championships a world class event, which in turn, brings more people into competitive darts. I would imagine it will have the same affect in pinball.

This is absolutely false! they charge a flat fee to be a member per year and its only around $20-$30. I can play in 6 leagues a week and still only have to pay $20-30 a year to participate!

I would be ok with a flat fee of $5 as they claim is most people would only be out but $200+ is absolutely ridiculous!

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The number of "free entry" tourneys I've played in over the last several years..... zero.

I play in three leagues per week that are "free" minus coin drop. I also play in a few tourneys a month and never have to pay to enter. If they were pay based it would literally decrease the size of the leagues and tourneys to atleast half!

#152 7 years ago

I agree the TD's are the ones doing almost all the work and are now being punished and have to do more work because the IFPA doesnt want to? I.E. charge a fee for IFPA like every other organized sport similar to pinball does.

If anything some of the $1 should go to the TD's as they are the ones who are doing the work. No one at the IFPA actually calculates points or anything its automatically spit into an algorithm and it spits out the results. The TD's have to set every thing up, promote everything, run the tourney and deal with whinny pinheads(me at times), deal with submitting the scores, find the best way to get the most IFPA points. Its a lot of work and hard to get people to do it as it is now and now you want to make it even harder for them. Also could have tax implications as some TD's run multiple events a week and have up to 30+ people showing up to each. So 2 events per week with 25 people on average. thats 50 a week in fees so at the end of the year that is 50*52=$2600 that TD's now have to account for on thier taxes.

This is just stupid and lazy of the IFPA!! If they want more money in and want to charge they should have to deal with it instead of pawning it off on the TD's that all ready have soo much to do.

Also so do we get to see how well we did in a tourney to decide if we want to pay the $1 fee for our points? That could open a whole other can of worms. Do the points for the tourney still count as 25 players or now is it only considered 12 players because those are the only ones wanting to pay the fee?

#273 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

So in theory I can agree with you (and Dave) that this idea is a good one, and that someday we may implement something like it . . . in addition to what we're talking about with the endorsement fee.

completely missed the point of that huh?

it wasnt in addition to it was instead of. Hell make the fee $20 a year im still ok with that but dont make me pay a fee everytime i want to play an event. we get random people in the arcade wanting to see how good they are by joining the tourney. if you tell them they have to pay for it i would think atleast half of them would not play. This is based on personal experience with asking people if they want to play and they say no thank you, then i explain its free and just for fun and they say ok im in.

#347 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

An Empirical Evaluation of the IFPA Endorsement Fee:

http://spacecitypinball.com/blog/WPPR_Fee_Analysis.html

Props to Phil Grimaldi for some data mining . . . good lord.

This is completely inaccurate for Az atleast. Data from 2016 is way less than 2017 and thats good, we want pinball to grow. With this new rule i see it going backwards.

Lets just look at the top 50 people in AZ. Just adding up the total events for those 50 people we have $421 through the first 3 months(first quarter). So if you times that by 4(4 quarters in a year) you get $1684. And 1684*.75=$1263 in total for SCS in az if the same amount events are to be ran in each quarter. Thats just the first page of people there are 2 more pages.(granted they prob have less events as they are not ranked very high)

Also now take the total events 1684 and divide by 50(the number of people used in this stat) and you get $33.68 per person for the year on average. compared to the average from that chart of $4-$6 per person it is off by quite a bit.

Anyone can take stats and skew them to say what they want them to, I like how he uses median and it shows so low for every state because of all the people that played one event during the year. When those people are not an average representation, playing one event just because you happened to be there.

#352 7 years ago
    Quoted from viphlegm:

So your 50 players played in 33 events ?

they are on track to average that amount. We have 26 people in the top 50 that have 8 or more events at this time. that would put them on track for 32 or more to end the season. We have one person with 21 tournaments right now that would put them on track for 84 to end the year! We also have 18 with 10 or more events all ready which puts them all on track for 40+ events for the year.

#365 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

The unfortunate truth is that the typical player does not attend thirty tournaments in a year. As I explain in the analysis, 75% of all players in 2016 (at a national level) played in 5 or fewer tournaments.

The unfortunate truth is that if you want compete at SCS you must enter thirty tournaments a year in AZ. The people that are playing one to two tourneys a year are those who just happened to be at the arcade at the time and dont care about ifpa. No one outside the top 50 will be competitive for SCS. So that is the base of people I am comparing. Why include the 1's and 2's if they are not going to be a part in the end for SCS. Also I bet most of those 1's and 2's fall off if we start charging anything. As of rigth now its free and they are all ready at the arcade. bottom line is if you want to compete for the SCS more than likely you must compete in around 30 tourneys or just be really good and do very well in the couple of big ones.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdawg4422.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-in-favor-of-the-ifpa-changes-for-2018-poll?tu=jdawg4422 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.