(Topic ID: 185543)

Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018? POLL

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018 regarding the $1 entry fee?”

• YES 217 votes
      50%
    • NO 213 votes
      50%

(430 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    MeanMeanest (resized).jpg
    85c588a29c8804b1e95223ed060880e7_one-dollar-bob-on-make-a-gif-one-dollar-bob-gif_320-180 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 3.40.48 PM (resized).png
    IMG_4979 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1567 (resized).png
    bop (resized).jpg
    large_uAvG211cGNKSFyPzXFVMZzjkBB8 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    1mlwhh (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

still waiting for josh to show us this "well past 51% positive feedback" hes received. maybe its all in the seven comments that were posted on the ifpa page before commenting was locked LOL.

It's mostly positive because the average number of events played per year in the US/Canada is 4.8 events per year.

For those players they are looking at a $4.80 charge to enjoy the IFPA site and everything that comes along with that (earning WPPR's, being ranked, having a personal archive of results, etc). At $5 per year they can rationalize this as not a big deal.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Why not then instead put a voluntary $5 membership fee on IFPA's site for "professional" player rankings, rather than hit everybody up at local events for fees?

We have no interest in handling the logistics of 50,000 players and flagging those membership fees, when they start, when they end, processing those payments, etc.

Working with TD's I'm able to work with a much smaller group of people. Plus it's a group that is already dealing with the hurdles we put in place to endorse events (submitting to the calendar, submitting results, etc).

Average local players who don't win these events shouldn't be paying any fees if a TD takes the fee out of the funds collected at the tournament.

For example we just ran the IFPA Pin-Masters out in Dallas. It was a PAPA Circuit event that required us to pay a fee of $5 per player to earn Circuit points. We had 70 players participate and had to write a check to PAPA for $350. As TD I didn't ask all 70 players for an additional $5. In most cases those funds would be pulled out from the winners of the tournament.

Most of our announcements (especially on Pinside) start with huge disapproval ratings (mostly because Hilton accounts for most of the posts)

Remember the AVERAGE we're talking about. The feedback I'm getting from players that play in 5 or fewer events per year is that "$5 isn't a big deal per year". We're simply finding another path to collect those funds that don't put the logistics on IFPA Staff, but rather on the TD to help manage.

#14 7 years ago

Copied from the other IFPA Shitstorm Thread (tm) . . . just to clarify where my vision is with where IFPA sits in 5 years:

We don't plan on screwing it up. We plan on making it better.

There's a path here where I see 3000 "AMATEUR" events per year, along with 500 "PRO" events per year feeding those systems concurrently.

Having an SCS at the "PRO" level for all the cash and glory, but also having an "AMATEUR" State Championship for recognition but without the issues of the cash at play. Inviting some players out to an "AMATEUR" National Championship isn't against the realm of possibility as well if we're already out there and setup for the "PRO" event to also take place.

The 'have your cake and eat it too' is my mission on this. Those that strictly want to play for fun can earn AMATEUR WPPR's and avoid all the fee nonsense. Those that want to take it more seriously can participate in "PRO" events at their choosing for PRO WPPR's.

Figuring out how to piece it all together will be the challenge once 2018 hits and we see how the 'market' reacts.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I can process and automate this process for you without too much troubles...

Appreciate that. I'll be in touch when we implement our IFPA "Premium" player accounts . . . completely separate thing from our endorsement fee. That's been on the agenda for about 5 years but hasn't been seriously pursued yet.

10 years from now I can see both fees existing.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Josh, if you feel that the majority of people are against this idea will you still go forward with it?

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, and nothing can/will change that. Is this correct?

We're going to move forward with it. Even Pinside is polling 40% favorable which actually BLOWS MY MIND. I figured we would be at best 10-15% favorable.

What is yet to be determined is the implementation of a "Professional" and "Amateur" rankings system that can run concurrently to capture the lack of support for this "Pro only" version (should there be a lack of support after things take off in 2018).

We'll review Q1 2018 and see how it's going. If we feel we're losing too much of the audience that we've built up, we'll begin the process of working towards launching the "AMATEUR" rankings for the 2019 season, no fees, but still allowing players many of the perks of what they have today under our Pro-only system.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

The problem is that it is going to a prize pool that only the top elite players have a shot at

Let's clarify this . . .

Here were the rankings of the 40 players that participated in Nationals a few weeks ago:

8 were ranked in the top 50
    8 were ranked 51-100
    24 were ranked 101-250
    4 were ranked 251-500
    4 were ranked 501-1000
    7 were ranked 1001-5000
    1 was ranked 13,671st

The average rank of those that participated was 1083rd.

How many players would you consider elite? What level is that cutoff?

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

interesting how josh is just making up the math of how this will benefit everyone, and making up that there is positive feedback. this is just ego madness.

I'll stick to Pinside feedback only because of the huge interest in competitive pinball that is found here.

So positive feedback looks to be 39%. We will see if it hits 51% or else I'll nuke the whole thing?

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

So i play in 3 leagues a week and usually 2-4 tournaments per month. Does this mean i am going to be charged $4 a week to play pinball? thats 4*52=$208 a year in fees?!?!

It ultimately comes down to how the TD's plan on reporting those results.

Our league meets monthly, but submit results annually, so our fee would be $36 for the year, versus $36 per month ($432 fee) if we submitted every session.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

That's just not as much fun IMO. I enjoy seeing myself rise in the ranks each month after league. It gives me motivation and I can see progress almost immediately. Plus if you start to encourage people to submit results at the last minute, you will never know where you truly stand in the rankings (until everyone submits results at the end of the year).

I listed the extreme on both ends. If I was the organizer of your league I would sit down with the player base and talk out the best way to deal with this process.

Submitting every other month cuts the fee in half. Submitting quarterly eliminates 75% of the fees. IMO there's a happy medium here where players are okay spending $2 per year on this, or $4, or $6, but not $12. Each player base values the 'fun' of rising in the ranks differently, so YMMV on this based on the other members of your league.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I hope you stick to your word. Otherwise this is feeling a bit like.....

"A dictatorship is a government or a social situation where one person makes all the rules and decisions without input from anyone else. Dictatorship implies absolute power — one person who takes control — of a political situation, a family, a classroom or even a camping expedition."

To turn the sarcasm off, there is NO WAY I would limit the feedback on this to 'Pinside only' as the determining factor.

The one good thing about dictatorships is that they get overthrown. Looking forward to meeting the person that starts the next competitive pinball organization to take things to the next level. As a player I will definitely enjoy the fruits of their labor.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Median would be a far more useful number, and it looks like that's in the low-100 area. That 13,671st ranked player is what statisticians would call an "outlier."

Median was rank 186 . . . so I guess this means it is catered to the elites?

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I think that is a great idea to have a committee for IFPA decisions like this. 1 person making all the decisions with no regard to others' input is never a good thing.

We have a group of ~20 Country Directors and 47 State/Provincial reps. I value their feedback more than my own and have avoided implementing things that didn't get a majority of support from the volunteers on our staff.

I mean . . .

large_uAvG211cGNKSFyPzXFVMZzjkBB8 (resized).jpglarge_uAvG211cGNKSFyPzXFVMZzjkBB8 (resized).jpg

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Odd that WI was totally left out of any conversation or request for feedback... Must have gotten lost in the mail?

Paul Okruhlica is in our Google Group as are all the other State Reps.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

odd as we have 3 state reps in WI. You know this already, but we rotate between the 3 main regions of the state to try and level the field advantage as much as possible. As you are abundantly aware, Tom G and myself are the other 2 state reps. In fact, Tom G is the current 2017 rep as he TDs for the fox valley region where the SCS is slated for this season.

This was the first year we created the State Rep google group, so I just copy/pasted the list of 2016 reps.

My apologies, totally forgot about your situation up there. Let me get an invite to both you and Tom so you guys can poke around the message board.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Yeah, that 24 should be an 8 and then the numbers will make sense. Although based on this small sample, I think an accountant should double check all numbers before payouts go out to state and national competitions.

Lol

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Josh/IFPA,
    Please clarify if the current $20 fee per player at each state championship goes away under the new proposed $1/player/tournament fee structure. Sorry if this was already mentioned.
    Thanks for all you guys do for competitive pinball over at IFPA.

Undecided. We will likely keep the $20 fee per SCS qualifier so we can "guarantee" bigger prize pools. All the endorsement funds collected would simply add to the total we've seen in previous years.

Should we generate enough funds to show it's working then we'll dump the $20 fee going forward from there.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I thought you people owned the Packers! Maybe sell a little of that stock?

So THAT made me spit out my coffee from laughing so hard

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

945.01  Definitions. In this chapter:
    (1) Bet. A bet is a bargain in which the parties agree that, dependent upon chance even though accompanied by some skill, one stands to win or lose something of value specified in the agreement. But a bet does not include:
    (a) Bona fide business transactions which are valid under the law of contracts including without limitation:
    1. Contracts for the purchase or sale at a future date of securities or other commodities, and
    2. Agreements to compensate for loss caused by the happening of the chance including without limitation contracts of indemnity or guaranty and life or health and accident insurance;
    (b) Offers of purses, prizes or premiums to the actual contestants in any bona fide contest for the determination of skill, speed, strength, or endurance or to the bona fide owners of animals or vehicles entered in such contest;
    (cm) Participation in bingo or a raffle conducted under ch. 563.
    (d) Pari-mutuel wagering subject to ch. 562.
    (e) Participation in a lottery conducted under ch. 565.
    (f) An agreement under which an employee is given an opportunity to win a prize, the award of which is determined by chance, in return for the employee making a referral or identification described in s. 945.01 (5) (b) 2. h.

I am no lawyer but a bet does not include any offers of purses, prizes to actual contestants in a bona fide contest of skill

We have about 20,000 Raw Thrills stickers here in stock at work that we sell for more than $1 a pop in the 'real world'.

If anyone in Wisconsin wants to purchase one of these from us, I will go ahead and waive your endorsement fee for the event you're playing in.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

take the onus of individual TD collecting off the single events

That puts the work back on me . . . no thanks

Gotta put my TD's to work!

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

This doesn't make sense to me if you are trying to pay out everyone who makes state, if they are paying in $20 more, then what is their payout for making state? Pay $20 then get $16 back for 16th place or something lol.

It would add $320 to whatever the prize pool is. So for Illinois if the SCS Pot was funded to $680, then the total purse available for the State Championship would be $1000 . . . minus the $16 endorsement fee that the State Championship has to pay in order to fund the following year's SCS pot

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from earthvsmattGR:

If the $1 went to the upkeep of the IFPA I wouldn't care and I'd understand.

The $1 will now go to IFPA administrative fees.

For those interested in competing for bigger prizes, I will fund those prize pools out of my own pocket.

Better?

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

ha I was waiting for that one

I do have two kids to feed, and my 3 year old daughter is an absolute ANIMAL

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

but I won't have to pay for 'feminine products', makeup, ridiculous clothes, or 30 pairs of shoes so I guess we'll call that one a wash?

My wife is totally NOT into shoes, yet my daughter is shoe CRAZY . . . we have no idea how this happened. I blame Disney?

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from u2sean:

I understand the prize pools for SCS and National is what's trying to be raised here so that we can promote these larger annual events. However, in doing this I really hope that sight of all the smaller events that are used to rank players isn't lost.

We also hope they don't get lost.

If they do we have our "Stage 2" for 2019 ready to go with our "Professional" ($1 fee) and "Amateur" (no fee) systems so people who are serious can enjoy one rankings system, while the larger group of non-serious players can enjoy our second rankings system.

#165 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I know you think I am a dick, and I rarely am able to simply connotate what I mean in text.

I don't think you're a dick. I think you're EXTREMELY passionate

Got 8 months to decide if we go this route or not. Time will tell!

#166 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

If 2018 fails, presumably he would revert to 2017, although given Josh's headstrong attitude and no clear definition of 'fail', I strongly suspect we'll have pro/am in 2018

Larry smells a chink in the armor!!!! Damn you Larry!

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

If this is ready to go, why not just implement the Pro-Am systems in 2018? Why go through the hassle of a 2018 pay for points and lose players that can easily be saved now by simply implementing the Pro-Am system?
    It seems to me that both sides would be satisfied. The SCS and National events will surely get more than $320 per state (on average) that is generated in 2017. And players that do not wish to fund the SCS/National events can continue unhindered into 2018.
    Marcus

This wouldn't be a player option.

It would be a TD option to either run a PRO points event or an AMATEUR points event.

The results would be in completely separate databases so the WPPR system as you know it would continue as the "PRO" system, earn IFPA related rewards, SCS qualifying, IFPA WC qualifying.

The "AMATEUR" rankings would start from scratch. The first event submitted would result in a new number one player on the Amateur list.

There would be no cross pollination between the two.

#175 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

No one at the IFPA actually calculates points or anything its automatically spit into an algorithm and it spits out the results.

Yeah so I have to defend myself here a bit.

We do not sit back and watch the results roll in. I'm a TD myself and the work I do for IFPA DWARFS the work I have to do as a TD.

IFPA work for Becker and myself includes answering 50 emails a day with questions, comments, etc, along with approving 10 calendar submissions and 10 results submissions per day (on average). Most submissions take time to correct and make sure it's within our guidelines for approval.

Easily 2 hours of work every single day of the year, no breaks.

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

Josh I have question. I like the idea of increasing the purse for tournaments although the money most likely won't be in my pocket. I'm also a proponent of paying yearly dues to be a member of the IFPA. My brother and I run our own arcade business and I know how much work you are putting in while others might think you do next to nothing. My question is on the Pro/am idea. If implemented would pro players be allowed to compete in Am events? When it is all boiled down most local friendly tournaments are 15-30 people on average I'd guess. If half are playing on the pro side and the event is Am only what does that do to the pro players? Can they play with their friends or would they be locked out like top 100 players can only qualify for A division in big events? Which also brings up can Am players play in pro events? How would you determine points? There will be great Am players that just don't care about pro points and opt out. I'm not so sure I like the idea of splitting up the list of players like that right now.

There wouldn't be PRO players and AMATEUR players.

It wouldn't be completely separate systems. Completely separate events.

Everyone playing in the AM events would be tied for 1st in the world in rank because the history of events hasn't started.

Under this plan there would be no player opt out of any event. Players could simply choose to compete in any event they want, and have two separate world rankings. One would be as a PRO and one would be as an AMATEUR.

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

In my mind, in 2018, TDs have the two options
    1) Send in $1/player and get WPPR points that count towards the "Pro" standings, and by default the SCS/National competitions.
    2) Submit scores without sending $1/player and get WPPR points that count towards "Amateur" standings. These results will not count towards the current SCS/National competitions.

TD's would decide in advance when they submit to the calendar which calendar of events their event will show up on.

The decision has to be made before hand, not after.

I'm not fully convinced that an AMATEUR system that means "nothing" with respect to any IFPA player perks would be of interest to players, and at this point I don't think players realize how they feel about being world ranked, and won't until they opt out of events next year and see what that feels like to them.

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

I think the Amateur system would mean something to players since it still provides a "ranking" by which you can compare yourself to other players. Now, I agree that it will not hold the same "prestige" as today's WPPR ranking, but this would be the perfect test as it does not "force" players to partake in a system that they find unfair. It will also keep the zero dollar players playing pinball in a competitive form. And that is the most important aspect for me. Keeping my local players playing competitive pinball is my number one priority.
    Personally, as a TD, I'm going to find a way to pay the $1/person to keep my events "Pro". Luckily, I have a great group of players that will most likely pony up their $1. And for those that don't, I'm sure as a collective we will be able to cover the difference.
    Marcus

Your feedback is perfect. For your community you plan on finding a way to make The endorsement fee work.

For everyone else that still wants to play competitive pinball for free ... here's the best question I can ask:

Did the IFPA build this house of cards that is competitive pinball, and with a new "Amateur" ranking system that doesn't exist yet, we will somehow stop everyone from playing competitively who don't want to pay this fee?

IMO that gives FAR TOO MUCH CREDIT for what the IFPA has done to help move the competitive pinball scene forward.

If we're only a piece of the pie in terms of growing the sport, we're only a piece of the pie missing if we ever disappeared for good (regardless of this change being implemented or not).

Currently more than half of pinside favors this change as is??? I assumed we would polling at closer to 20-25% approval. Consider me SHOCKED at the level of support this has so far.

#202 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I wouldn't put too much stock into the poll and people's "support" - it's a popularity contest on Pinside and I'd be shocked if less than 3/4ths of the votes aren't out of spite.
    Were I in your shoes, I'd be more concerned with people like Bowen Kerins disagreeing with it.

I don't actually put any stock in Pinside polls and assume most of the "for" votes are just anti-Hilton votes

I'm not concerned with Bowen disagreeing. We had a good chat this morning and we're simply agreeing to disagree on this. I believe even he thinks I'm actually doing what I believe is in the best interest of moving the sport forward. He just wouldn't process the same direction and I totally respect that.

#244 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Are new bowling league members told when they sign up that their money is going where? I doubt it. They're told it costs $x to be part of this league. They're not going to be told $y of their league fees goes to the bowling federation and national prizes.

Perhaps being totally transparent wasn't our best path through this . . . but that's just how I roll.

If I did this as an "administrative fee" to pay for our expenses, and everyone was okay with it, then I guess I'll learn my lesson with our next announcement having to do with collecting any funds.

#245 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Not trying to add to the dogpile on you, kind sir, but it's hard to tell what's serious about all this and what isn't. I mean, other than that change is afoot.

I don't see why Bowen's "passion" for Pinball makes his comments any more or less valued than Hilton's.

I absolutely value Hilton's comments and Bowen's comments, as I have with our previous 100 announcements over the past 11 years that typically get received with a giant "WTF" to start.

#246 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

any down sides?

In Illinois . . . not being able to find 15 other players that want to give $200 to Zach

#251 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I already won over $200 this year playing pinball

Hopefully not in Wisconsin

#253 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I think it is a bummer that we wont be able to have IFPA points, but also think the state stuff is more important to most people.

For the 50 people interested out of 500

#256 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atreyu:

as it stands, this means that Washington state, which holds roughly 20% of the nation's pinball tournaments would be contributing around 8k to the national tournament prize pool

Sorry but that's just false.

The numbers I've seen in WA don't reflect them funding the National prize pool with even close to $8k.

#266 7 years ago
    Quoted from wizard_mode:

Ok Josh,
    I created a bunch of duplicate accounts and voted for your cause to achieve 51% buy-in. Can I get a free pass on the $1 fee?

Now THAT cracked me up big time

#267 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

The biggest problem with this entire situation is, someone (like RD above) suggests an idea that is much better/easier/preferred, but Josh's reaction is "na we're going to stick with my idea because I thought of it."

LOL yes it's "much preferred". Seems to be 'more people like this idea than don't like this idea'? Seems the Pinside poll only really matters if it shows disapproval?

If/when we do registered player accounts, I think Dave's idea is great. It will be a completely separate thing and we can use those funds for other things. Maybe we pay my volunteers? Maybe we donate all of it to charity?

The problem with Dave's numbers are that they aren't reality. Out of our 50,000 players, only 4,000 of them have "registered" accounts (this meaning we have their email on file). Somehow thinking that more players will pay an annual fee to be on the website when they already aren't registering for free doesn't line up with me.

So in theory I can agree with you (and Dave) that this idea is a good one, and that someday we may implement something like it . . . in addition to what we're talking about with the endorsement fee.

#275 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

completely missed the point of that huh?

Not at all, totally got the point.

My point was that on my list of IFPA stuff for the future was BOTH of these items (endorsement fee for EVENTS, and premium account fee for PLAYERS).

There are many places where the location is sponsoring this $1 per player. Many more communities are taking it out of the prize pool so the winners simply get paid 'less' for their winnings.

In both of these examples no players are ever asked if they want to pay. They simply show up, pay whatever the 'normal' entry fee for the event is, and play.

#312 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

How come on a national level they just rank me based on my 20 best tournaments but for the state level you can play in numerous events and they all count towards SCS?

It's by design. For a world ranking we wanted to limit the amount that someone could 'point to death' the system in determining who are the best players in the world.

For the SCS, it's not about finding the 'best ranked players in the state'. We want to allow ALL players to compete for a chance at those 16 spots. "Better players" don't necessarily make the cut because lesser skilled players can always play more and more and more and more to make the cut.

IMO it opens up the number of players we can reach with SCS qualifying knowing they can overcome any deficit in the standings by just playing more.

#343 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Either way I, like Josh, am surprised by the poll numbers. It would be best to do a poll over at Tilt Forums where most (if not all) people play competitively and understand that this is not "just $1!!!" as we have seen people post over and over and over here on Pinside.

I assume you would feel the same way about the poll you started if it was 30-70 against?

#344 7 years ago

An Empirical Evaluation of the IFPA Endorsement Fee:

http://spacecitypinball.com/blog/WPPR_Fee_Analysis.html

Props to Phil Grimaldi for some data mining . . . good lord.

#357 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

a lot to wade through between the 2 threads in the past few days, but I don't understand the above statement. how does the governing body (the IFPA) make it sound as if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing here?
    the way that I read the above is that the PAPA event made us (the IFPA) pay a fee to us (the IFPA) to earn circuit points. yes, I realize that what josh probably meant was that PAPA was the first event forcing the [players] to pay a sanction fee of $5 per player to earn circuit points, but again that seems pretty not well thought out. it's like going to disney world and after paying your entry fee, they decide to charge you (after the fact) to ride the rides

That statement was made in context of me being a TD that had to deal with a player fee similar to what we plan on imposing.

I just wanted to provide an example that I personally had to go through to help explain that I know what it will feel like to handle logistically.

#380 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I believe in the other thread, ifpapinball said a group could just report their year results once and only pay the $1 per person per year. Maybe I misunderstood that.

This is absolutely correct. In fact our old WPPR system limited locations to only submitting annually. If they submitted more than once a year, their points would be divided out by however many events they held.

Rather than shifting back to that 'old way', we leave that option open to the individual tournament directors to figure out. They are more than welcome to submit annually which would make the fee $1 per player per year.

#397 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Wait a second, now I'm confused. You're saying I can submit the results of my monthly tournaments all at one time, and they'd still be worth full value?

I was comparing our old way of having that 25 point base value for the year regardless of the number of events.

Under the current system you're limited by TGP (max 100%). So there's room to optimize if you run monthlies that grade out to 32% each to submit them quarterly and not lose any value. Beyond that you would be giving up value (if you submitted annually for example).

#409 7 years ago
    Quoted from JNX:

2 Questions:
    1) We currently play a selfie league that has no entry fee. It was designed to draw interest from noobs and people who might be "intimidated by the formality of a direct tournament, while also giving the regulars an interest for 2 weeks at a time. It has absolutely created more interest in the game of pinball at the local level, and has increased the number of "rated" players on IFPA. The question is, in 2018, will we have to assess a $1 fee on everyone to "promote and develop the game of pinball," when we have already found a fabulous way of achieving the goal?
    2) If all of the new $1 tax goes to the state and national championship pots, and we've agreed there is very little turnover in these tournaments; how is that going to grow the activity and interest in pinball as a whole? Where are the IFPA sponsored tutorials or workshops? What drives interest at the grassroots level? This is another aspect, with which I believe there is economically dishonest rhetoric being posited on this thread, that somehow increasing the cost of participation and giving that windfall to already elite players is going to "develop and promote the game of pinball."

1) No. Your TD is welcome to run that selfie league as a non-endorsed event and no $1 would need to be paid. It sounds like this is a perfect example of an event that doesn't need IFPA endorsement and will continue in 2018 regardless. We see that as a win as more people are playing competitive pinball even if they wouldnt become IFPA rated players.

2) I've seen a pretty high turnover at these events. Rarely are we getting the same State Champ every year. In Illinois at least we've had 3 different winners in the 4 years. Other States would have to speak up to their turnover. I've expressed my opinions that media coverage drives interest at the grass roots level. There more impressions you can land, the more people you can make aware of the game existing. We're focusing on proven methodology to drive that increased traffic in media coverage. For game tutorials check out what the PAPA guys do. We work together quite a bit to make sure our efforts don't overlap one another.

#422 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The BEST way to grow the sport is to just do it on your own. Up till now, the IFPA/WPPR system was another useful tool to help it grow. However, it is small potatoes in the grand scheme of growing your local pinball scene.

THIS 100%. The things we're doing at IFPA is not mutually exclusive with the efforts that anyone else can do. Those efforts are done in tandum and all build towards positive things for competitive pinball.

Hilton is starting his own ranking system for Wisconsin which means that group is still being motivated to compete. That happens while we focus on building awareness of the game at a more macro level, using proven methods that have already worked for our Big Buck franchise.

#424 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

(dont say, yes but it will cost $1 per player per event, lol)

Fighting the urge to say exactly this

I have no problem sending you all the data needed to build the rankings yourself (which of course I did already). We're not open to officially supporting non-IFPA related activity through our IFPA website, but I'm personally supportive of anyone wanting to do this on their own to promote pinball within their local community.

As you mentioned previously, it shouldn't be too challenging to get this started on your side with a couple of people smarter than the both of us.

2 weeks later
    #494 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Now that Bowen Kerins has dropped out of the IFPA, there's more mumbling that this "new idea" isn't that great of an idea. Some of us have been saying this for awhile, but I guess, the IFPA has to figure that out for themselves.

It doesn't take Bowen suppressing himself from IFPA for us to realize that there's a large group of people that don't support this "new idea".

There's also a large group of people that DO support this "new idea".

I'm curious what you would do if "some people" told you something you were doing was a bad idea, when YOU thought it was a good idea? Do you abandon a cause you believe in because "some people" don't think it's going to work?

We plan on doing exactly what you mentioned, and that's figuring it out for ourselves based on actual results of what goes down after the implementation.

#498 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

As IFPA has mentioned (as I understand it), there is the chicken or egg issue with competitive pinball right now. IFPA can't get the sponsors without bigger prize pools and can't get bigger prize pools without sponsors. Their previous history with BBH has shown that bigger prize pools which were player funded early on ended up bringing in bigger sponsors, and now BBH is strongly supported by sponsors with big prize money. IFPA wants to do the same for pinball. Sounds interesting to me. YMMV.

Exactly this. And yes, BBH isn't Pinball . . . but as someone who has been highly involved in both communities I personally see a ton of similarities. There's a path here where I see BBH, Pinball, Golden Tee, etc. fighting TOGETHER for sponsorship of the "Arcade E-Sports" franchise.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

I'm just curious if you've done research that indicates the main thing people really want out of sanctioned events is "more prize money at the state and national level?" Is this something of top priority? Until you brought up this idea, I never heard anyone complaining that this was a problem that needed to be addressed?

What "people" want really depends on the perspective of the person. To you, you've already mentioned the SCS doesn't attract players in your area, and that's when it's FREE. So I'm not surprised from your perspective that having IFPA be a paid service will do anything better than the free service already isn't doing for your community in particular.

#499 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Exactly this. And yes, BBH isn't Pinball . . . but as someone who has been highly involved in both communities I personally see a ton of similarities. There's a path here where I see BBH, Pinball, Golden Tee, etc. fighting TOGETHER for sponsorship of the "Arcade E-Sports" franchise.

What "people" want really depends on the perspective of the person. To you, you've already mentioned the SCS doesn't attract players in your area, and that's when it's FREE. So I'm not surprised from your perspective that having IFPA be a paid service will do anything better than the free service already isn't doing for your community in particular.

#508 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Are these subject to the 1$ fee? Other than that specific possibility, I really like this idea. It's not going to be worth dick for points, but hey, it's something, and since there's no 30 day restriction, could I in theory just say "Hey, I'll be at xyz location on xy date, anyone that wants to have a throwdown can show up and play best of 7!"
    *edit* Ugh, stupid words lol. I guess this only affects RATINGS not RANKINGS. Is there some bigger plan for using "Ratings" in the future?

These matches are FREE, and have nothing to do with the endorsement fee.

We have some ideas for bigger plans with the Ratings metric in the future but waiting to see if this takes off or not.

I like the idea of people hanging out and playing together, while this option is available with no notice needed to us for any given night.

With the impending death of the WPPR system who knows .... This could be the IFPA true ranking system of the future

#510 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I'm not trying to be a wise ass- but i dont get the benefit of this. If two players decide to play a best of 7 match they can submit it for what will probably be a miniscule amount of points? Why would anyone take the time to do this?

It's not for WPPR points. It's for the IFPA Ratings system (a completely separate metric that we track).

That list by RATING is available here:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/overall.php?s=r&t=100

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-in-favor-of-the-ifpa-changes-for-2018-poll?tu=ifpapinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.