(Topic ID: 185543)

Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018? POLL

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018 regarding the $1 entry fee?”

• YES 217 votes
      50%
    • NO 213 votes
      50%

(430 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    MeanMeanest (resized).jpg
    85c588a29c8804b1e95223ed060880e7_one-dollar-bob-on-make-a-gif-one-dollar-bob-gif_320-180 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 3.40.48 PM (resized).png
    IMG_4979 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1567 (resized).png
    bop (resized).jpg
    large_uAvG211cGNKSFyPzXFVMZzjkBB8 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    1mlwhh (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHelp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#488 6 years ago

I feel the fee is basically a tax on all sanctioned competitive pinball events and players that ends up in the hands of the top 1% competitors.

I don't see how making it more lucrative will grow the industry. The vast majority of competitors aren't in it for the money and the money doesn't make that much difference. The onus is on the TDs to act as cashiers -- not something they necessarily are excited about doing when there's no real incentive for them.

In traditional competitive industries, it's sponsors that fund the prize money pool. The fact that the IFPA wants players to fund it says a lot about the state of pinball and the degree to which those in the industry who profit from it, aren't motivated or can't see a return from traditionally funding competition the way it is in virtually every other competitive field.

Rather than get players to fund the hobby, I would have liked to have seen the IFPA approach Stern and get sponsorship of $50-100k for the tournament series. That would have been a win-win for everybody. The fee system is a losing proposition for the majority of competitive players. And it offers absolutely nothing to the one group that works the hardest for the IFPA and never sees hardly any return: Tournament Directors. The real value and asset to the competitive scene are the TDs, who in this latest proposal, get another 8 foot length of the shaft.

#490 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Gee, why didn't the Sharpes think of that?
    Those guys are pretty thick.
    If it were me I'd get Stern sponsorship of $200K-$300K but I understand some are more conservative.

Who knows if they tried. But the operative issue is: SPONSORS fund the prize money in just about EVERY OTHER COMPETITIVE EVENT ON THE PLANET. So if you want more money in competitive pinball, the appropriate thing to do is approach the sponsors, not the players.

I fail to see the logic in the argument that more prize money will attract more sponsors. That doesn't make sense. More players, a larger market attracts more sponsors. This proposal doesn't really benefit most players. How does, "Now I have to pay more money to compete" get more players to sign up?

#492 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Look I'll drop the little stinker act and just say for YEARS they have tried this. And the sponsorship angle simply isn't there. You think Stern gives a shit about competitive pinball? That's not their market, and sponsoring pinball competitions at the $100,000 level you are talking about isn't gonna happen, ever, and it probably shouldn't, because I don't really see what Stern would get out of it. The Winner of the SCS this year got his choice of a new Stern pinball machine - as long as he wanted a WWE. So I guess that tells you how much luck we'd have prying real money out of them.
    It all comes back to what they've said over and over and over and over and wisconsin and over again: They want to try something new and see if it works and if it doesn't they'll pull the rip cord. If you can figure out a better idea - and trust me, "get stern to give them $100,000" isn't it - I'm sure they are all ears.

I agree.. I don't see Stern coughing up the sponsorship money, even though, ironically, they stand to benefit the most from all this. Which to me, makes it even more egregious that the players should kick in more money. I think this ponzi scheme will eventually collapse.

Now that Bowen Kerins has dropped out of the IFPA, there's more mumbling that this "new idea" isn't that great of an idea. Some of us have been saying this for awhile, but I guess, the IFPA has to figure that out for themselves.

In my state, sanctioned events have dropped off considerably. Our player base just isn't finding it fun the way things have been going. The additional fees are the last nail in the coffin.

I'm not just some random person mouthing off. I was the first to bring sanctioned competitive pinball to my state. I hosted two SCSs, and now I'm hosting no more sanctioned events. The people in our community don't care any more. I'm responding to the community. We'll continue to host events, but we'll do more independent ones. Some of our people may host a few events here and there, but sanctioned competition has dropped off considerably in the last two years in our state, and I don't see how this fee system improves it. It seems to alienate both casual and high end markets.

I end up going back to... why bite the hand that feeds you? Why ask for more from the players and the TDs? Why shouldn't those who are profiting put more back into the community?

#495 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

News flash. Sponsors don't fund the majority of the prize money in many competitive events.

Sponsors make virtually all major sports work. There are exceptions, in industries like poker, where players do fund a prize pool, but even then, sponsors kick in huge amounts of extra money and resources. Totally player funded competition is more the exception than the standard.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

It doesn't take Bowen suppressing himself from IFPA for us to realize that there's a large group of people that don't support this "new idea".
    There's also a large group of people that DO support this "new idea".
    I'm curious what you would do if "some people" told you something you were doing was a bad idea, when YOU thought it was a good idea?
    Do you abandon a cause you believe in because "some people" don't think it's going to work?

It depends upon whether "my" good idea was just that: my idea, or the result of examining the market and industry, doing research and determining it addressed some kind of need?

If I got a lot of disapproval of an idea I had, I would re-evaluate that idea. I do that constantly. I've had plenty of bad ideas that have never been implemented because I got feedback and realized I hadn't fully thought those things through.

I'm not saying your idea is bad. I'm just not seeing how it benefits me and my community.

I see the main benefit appears to further monetize select high level competitions. I don't think the SCS attracts pinball players.. I think the every day stuff the TDs do is what drives the industry, and this plan really doesn't offer anything to the core group that feeds the machine that ends up in SCS.

I think promotional tournaments with interesting prizes do more to grow the industry (and it's sponsors that feed that). I'd put more emphasis on that, but that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

We plan on doing exactly what you mentioned, and that's figuring it out for ourselves based on actual results of what goes down after the implementation.

Hey, do what you have to do. I understand you have to experiment.

I'm just curious if you've done research that indicates the main thing people really want out of sanctioned events is "more prize money at the state and national level?" Is this something of top priority? Until you brought up this idea, I never heard anyone complaining that this was a problem that needed to be addressed?

Anyway, I sincerely wish you and the IFPA success in your venture. I don't see at this time where its advantageous for me to feed into that system. I will remain open to whatever opportunities present themselves and whatever the people in our community want. If there's demand for those events, we'll do them, but it remains to be seen from my vantage point. Good luck with things and thanks for at least entertaining other opinions.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHelp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-in-favor-of-the-ifpa-changes-for-2018-poll?tu=PinballHelp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.