• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 12 years ago

I thought it would be a good idea to talk about a not-so-famous underdog: Hook. To me the music is excellent, but very repetitive. The DMD animations aren't bad but I don't really care for the 128x16 displays. The rules, well, they're virtually nonexistent. I can't find a rule sheet anywhere, and Data East's scorecard is vague at best. The playfield art and design is pretty good, I like the idea of inserts following up Hook's arm (the pose is pretty epic too by the way). You couldn't get a cheaper topper though. It's just flat plastic, no lamps or anything. And considering this is the only main way of saying "this game is Hook," you would think Data East would make it more durable.

Is it just me or do Tales from the Crypt and Jurassic Park actually use cabinet decals? Sorry but the simple straight wood cabinet painting on Hook doesn't cut it in my opinion. Also, Hook either says "What's my name?" or "One strike game" during gameplay, but I'm still not 100% sure if that's what he's really saying. Any ideas?

#2 12 years ago

I am in the market for one. I think it's fun. Similar playfeel to data east star wars. as far as rules, I played about ten games last weekend and I was just kind of smacking the ball around. they weren't very clear.

I think hook says "what's my name"

#3 12 years ago

I don't see the Star Wars comparison. I know the skull shot is some kind of random award and there are targets with weapons and tomatoes on them, probably resembling weapons used during the Bangarang scene (which is also the main mutiball mode). I never really learned how to lock balls. Every time I got to multiball it was always unintended. By the way, the multiball music is killer.

Main theme: http://www.mediafire.com/?73w572kekctu2hx

#4 12 years ago

Haven't played Hook yet, but I'm with you, I don't see Hook being compared with SW.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Haven't played Hook yet, but I'm with you, I don't see Hook being compared with SW.

Um. i have played them both a ton. They are very different in theme, but the types of shots are similar. like the wind coaster shot is similar to the death star wire ramp that circles around. the sounds are similar and the music is similar.

Maybe give it a play before shooting down my opinion Kwiki

#6 12 years ago

I've never seen the movie, never played the pin. Maybe it's the subject matter that just doesn't do it for me. So I'm pretty sure the answer is no, I'm not hooked.

#7 12 years ago

I used to play Hook in the arcades until my fingers hurt! Played it again recently and couldn't recapture the magic.

I guess I wiggled off the Hook?

-M

#8 12 years ago

I just bought one. So for the momet, I'm Hooked. It Needs a cleaning and is going to get an NOS Playfield first, but I'm looking forward to getting into it. I always liked the movie for some reason. And, I thought my collection could benefit from another DMD that was on the easier side. We shall see. My DE Star Trek is always a big hit. Hopefully this will be too. I'm actually having the Playfield clear coated...just because.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Maybe give it a play before shooting down my opinion Kwiki

I did an image search of the Hook playfield AND the SW playfield and decided to make my decision from there. Yes, I haven't played it, that doesn't mean I can't chime in, right?

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Yes, I haven't played it, that doesn't mean I can't chime in, right?

Wrong! I will flame you regardless of your opinion and how valid it may or may not be. WHY DON'T YOU...no wait....I'm sorry, I thought I was posting on RGP for a minute. You may speak freely anytime you wish. :>

#11 12 years ago

I like the movie, but not the pin. It's the kind of pin that when you play it, you start thinking about other things, and forget you're playing pinball. Kind of a snooze.

#12 12 years ago

I'm not HOOKed, no thanks, I kinda enjoyed it for free plays in Seattle at a pizza place that had free play wednesdays!

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I did an image search of the Hook playfield AND the SW playfield and decided to make my decision from there. Yes, I haven't played it, that doesn't mean I can't chime in, right?

Exactly why I said the playfeel is similar. not the look

#14 12 years ago

I owned one. Beautiful looking machine, cool main ramp with rope lights. This game in attract mode looks amazing.

It's note super deep, but given its release date, about as deep as anything else out there at the time. I believe this was DE's first "mode" machine.

I regret selling mine. The voice calls are repetitive and annoying, but I loved the music.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I owned one. Beautiful looking machine, cool main ramp with rope lights. This game in attract mode looks amazing.
It's note super deep, but given its release date, about as deep as anything else out there at the time. I believe this was DE's first "mode" machine.
I regret selling mine. The voice calls are repetitive and annoying, but I loved the music.

I've been to London, Ontario. Next time I come through I'll bring mine with.

#16 12 years ago

I own a Hook and I know the rules pretty well now....

1. What ever mode is blinking on Hooks arm (changes every time a bumper is hit) will activate when you shoot into the scoop.

Lite Bumpers- hits on the bumpers are worth 500,000 for a short while

Lite Crock Time- will light the right ramp and the display will show a score counting down, hit the ramp to stop it and collect those points, but it does stop at 10,000,000

Max X- just gives you times 10 multiplier

Fast Scoring- every thing you hit is worth 500,000 for 15 seconds. The points you earn will be given at the end of your ball

Skull 20 Mil.- Shoot the skull within 20 sec to earn 20,000,000

5 Mil.- awards you 5,000,000, you don't even have to do anything.

After you shoot the scoop and activate what was blinking on Hooks arm you have to shoot the skull to get another mode to start blinking on Hooks arm, then again shoot the scoop to start it. If you get them all then Bangarang will light on Hooks arm, scoop will activate it and you will be in Bangarang mode where every hit is worth a crap load of points.

Another thing to do is to shot the right ramp twice to start a timer and that awards you 5,000,000 and every time you hit the ramp again within the timer you get another 5,000,000 which will all be awarded at the end of your ball.

Last thing is the multi ball. To start multi ball you need to light all 9 targets (3 on the right of the skull and 2 more sets of 3 on the left of the skull). Shooting the VUK shot at the very top left that shots the ball up will sometimes light some of the targets for you, also seems like starting a new ball will also light some for you. After all 9 are lit the music will change and display will say "lock a ball". Shoot the VUK at the very top left to lock the ball. Another ball will pop out and the light will show you what skill shot hole to aim for, make that one and you get another, make that one and you get 10,000,000 and multi ball will start but if you miss multi ball will still start just you miss out on the 10 mil. During multi ball the left ramp is the jackpot shot then the right ramp is after you make that one, then the left ramp and so on they will keep alternating and each ones jackpot for the ramp grows the longer you take to shoot it.

Also shooting to the top right where it curves around and goes to the bumper will cause the game to say "strike one", shooting there again it will say "strike two, once more is a "Homerun" awarding 5,000,000

There are other little things in the game but those are the important rules.

And according to the manual, Hook is saying "What Great Game"

#17 12 years ago

Wow thanks for the post! Very helpful. Where did you find that quote in the manual?

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is it just me or do Tales from the Crypt and Jurassic Park actually use cabinet decals?

It's just you, at least with JP. It's screened art.

As for Hook, it gets crap because that ramp is just stupidly long, but that's why I like it. The ramp is so unnecessarily long that it is pretty fun to watch it go through there. The rest of the game is pretty simple, but looking at the era it was released, so was everything else.

#19 12 years ago

Watch the PAPA video. It looks like you can just shoot the left spiral ramp over and over and over and over for 3mil, not a good sign.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Crashdance22 said:

Is it just me or do Tales from the Crypt and Jurassic Park actually use cabinet decals?

It's just you, at least with JP. It's screened art.

TFTC also has a screened cabinet and head.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

As for Hook, it gets crap because that ramp is just stupidly long, but that's why I like it. The ramp is so unnecessarily long that it is pretty fun to watch it go through there. The rest of the game is pretty simple, but looking at the era it was released, so was everything else.

That ramp is my favorite part.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Wow thanks for the post! Very helpful. Where did you find that quote in the manual?

Its on page 22 of the manual on the Sound Test Chart.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

i've been Hooked all my life

And that was the post I was waiting on. It was just a matter of time! Speaking of time, took you long enough!

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

sorry new job less surf'n time

Now pimp that IM!

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

kwiKimart said:
Yes, I haven't played it, that doesn't mean I can't chime in, right?
Wrong! I will flame you regardless of your opinion and how valid it may or may not be. WHY DON'T YOU...no wait....I'm sorry, I thought I was posting on RGP for a minute. You may speak freely anytime you wish. :>

You guys crack me up.

As for hook I have not played it I have looked at it multiple times. I really like the theme and the rope lighting and main ramp but it does look simple and if there is not a clear rules set then I would not personally like it.

IMO

#28 12 years ago

Here's a pretty good video, the owner says it was his first game and heck, he gets to multiball, Crock Time, and a bunch of other modes.

#29 12 years ago

Sub and backbox light kit ordered.
6 whiplash figures to mod
5 War machine figures to mod

Gotta wait for my deliveries.

#30 12 years ago

I'm looking at the attract mode in PinMAME and found these rules:

Shooting drop target advances ramp value

VUK spots lost boys weapons

Top lanes advance multiplier

Shoot skull for 20 million

During fast scoring all targets are 500K

3 strikes for 5 million

Complete targets to light lock

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-hooked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.