(Topic ID: 308800)

Are you happier now than a year ago this week?

By Lamberger

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you happier now than a year ago this week?”

• better 56 votes
      62%
    • worse 34 votes
      38%

(90 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FG (resized).jpg
    E847B229-865C-4F85-B33F-67458AEC288A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20211128_232437 (resized).jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Just wondering, things haven't changed much for me here in Canada in the last year except for pinball prices going up along with everything else coming from the state side. What's it like down there guys, all good? Is your life better after a year this week?

#2 2 years ago

I worked at a job for 18 years, then one Monday I was told I didn’t have that job anymore because of covid. No severance, no warning, just suddenly unemployed. I took some time to soul search and figure out what I want to do with the next 20 years of my life. About 8 months ago I found my dream job. Low stress, short commute, pays better and uses my skills more fully.

It will take a bit to bounce back from being off for 18 months, but my life is much better then it was before covid.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I worked at a job for 18 years, then one Monday I was told I didn’t have that job anymore because of covid. No severance, no warning, just suddenly unemployed. I took some time to soul search and figure out what I want to do with the next 20 years of my life. About 8 months ago I found my dream job. Low stress, short commute, pays better and uses my skills more fully.
    It will make a bit to bounce back from being off for 18 months, but my life is much better then it was before covid.

Really glad to hear things worked out for ya, what did you do and what are you doing now? If you don't mind me asking. Maybe we can throw some business your way.

#4 2 years ago

About the same but my pinball collection is larger.

#5 2 years ago

Before I was bill collector for a Rogers cable sub-contractor. Now I’m the lead maintenance man for a small company that owns about 20 properties, about 50 units. I fix what I can, and if I need to call in a pro, I sit back and let the expert handle it. One property is a large horse farm, so I spend enough time outside and get to play on the heavy equipment too. Every day is an adventure.

#6 2 years ago

Nice! women love horses

#7 2 years ago

Yes.
    A year ago I was stuck at a job with way too much work at once.
    While people were out of jobs due to Covid I had never ever worked so much in a single year before.

#8 2 years ago

I work more now then I ever have with no increase pay and I’m still a fat ass and can’t loose the weight

Oh well at least I got my online play with my machines now and can get achievements !

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I work more now then I ever have with no increase pay !

That was the dangerous cycle from my previous job. Whenever the contract was renegotiated every couple years we were expected to do more work and trim the budget each time. Eventually things started to move digital and our volume declined. To make up for this we had to cover a larger service area for the same amount of money.

By the end I was driving into Toronto each day on the 401 (the busiest road in north America) and working longer hours for less pay then I had made 10 years previous.

I'm much happier now.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

Nice! women love horses

Yeah. The hot 20 something year old princesses with their ponies are out in full force here. Theres a couple old nags in the bunch though.

#11 2 years ago

A year ago I didn't have my Guns n Roses , so I'm a lot happier now

IMG_20211128_232437 (resized).jpgIMG_20211128_232437 (resized).jpg
    #12 2 years ago

A lot of things are better than a year ago. I have 2 pinball machines. COVID situation is improving. I can visit my dad in his assisted living home now. Work is ok. Pay is not keeping up with inflation though. Good enough health. I'm looking forward to winter ending.

#14 2 years ago

The title of this thread hurt my brain.

#15 2 years ago

Same. Still workin 90 hour weeks at a hospital. Had Covid a couple weeks ago. Good times!

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Same. Still workin 90 hour weeks at a hospital. Had Covid a couple weeks ago. Good times!

We respect a soldier in our fight for freedom!. I want to send ya $100. wish i could send it to everyone. Hell, i was just watching that magical wishing dragon shit with my kids, made me stop and think, what would I wish for-.. first wish;1.healthy planet. 2. no world starvation. 3. we all get along. Simple right?

#17 2 years ago

Same shit, different day. Work less now to be with my family more which is nice. Just always hoping that my family and friends are healthy and doing okay.
    Don't like the prices of everything these days but WTF am I going to do about it besides pay or don't buy? It is what it is.

#18 2 years ago

As far as life goes, I'm happier, as I have grown in the Lord and lean on Him more and more in these crazy times. As far as pinball goes, I'm happy and grateful that I have a collection and multiple projects going. I feel very blessed.

#19 2 years ago

Yes. Definitely more content

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Same shit, different day. Work less now to be with my family more which is nice. Just always hoping that my family and friends are healthy and doing okay.

Don't like the prices of everything these days but WTF am I going to do about it besides pa

#21 2 years ago

The price of gas last year was around $2.25 gallon and this week we just learned our sons and daughters might be sent to go to war with Russia. I’m a little nervous.

#22 2 years ago

Wow! happiest people ever here. energy is off the charts! For those with different feelings know what to do. Take care, god bless..each and everyone of you. Awful cheers to those that allowed this to happen! Thank you, truly. Smart thinkers here. wink, wink. sarcasm.

#23 2 years ago

I think John Prine said it best. "Pretty good, not bad,I can't complain, but actually, everything is just about the same."

#24 2 years ago

Well, as far as being HAPPIER....eh..it's about the same. Now, as far as being more nervous? Hell yes! We're sabre-rattling with Russia for Pete's sake. This is NOT going to end well.

#25 2 years ago

A year ago we made one of the biggest decisions in our lives.

After living on the coast of California our entire lives, my wife and I sold our home and moved not only us but our daughter and her family to Utah.

Without getting into divisive topics, we are all so much more happier and relaxed. Summers are pretty hot but whenever we miss the beach or our friends, we jump in the car and spend a few days in our former hometown. The quality of life here is absolutely amazing.

Much happier.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

After living on the coast of California our entire lives, my wife and I sold our home and moved not only us but our daughter and her family to Utah.
    Without getting into divisive topics, we are all so much more happier and relaxed. Summer's are pretty hot but whenever we miss the beach or our friends, we jump in the car and spend a few days in our former hometown. The quality of life here is absolutely amazing.
    Much happier.

Smart move! We have lots of Cali neighbors now here in TN and they absolutely love not being in Cali anymore.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Smart move! We have lots of Cali neighbors now here in TN and they absolutely love not being in Cali anymore.

Yeah...at first I was kind of reluctant to tell people where we moved from until I was amazed to find out that around half of our neighbors and new friends also moved from California!

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Without getting into divisive topics, we are all so much more happier and relaxed. Summer's are pretty hot but whenever we miss the beach or our friends, we jump in the car and spend a few days in our former hometown. The quality of life here is absolutely amazing.
    Much happier.

Wow that sounds so much better than Canada, 10 year wait for citizen papers tho..Hmm, maybe I should fly to mexico? Don't need a vaccine to cross the boarder there.. See you soon.

#31 2 years ago

I was at a job for 15+ years, and asked to be on salary. I was denied of that/raise, and there was nowhere to move up. I since moved on to a different company, and enjoy what I’m doing. Stress level is way down, and I welcomed a new puppy to my family..so life is good!

E847B229-865C-4F85-B33F-67458AEC288A (resized).jpegE847B229-865C-4F85-B33F-67458AEC288A (resized).jpeg
    #32 2 years ago

Life is always good, just roll with the times. Now ,Lamberger, you'll have a better year too if you can just get off the anti LZ pin talk ok?

#33 2 years ago

Retired on the last day of 2020, so just over a year under my belt.

Can't say I miss work, I thought I might but it surprisingly didn't happen. I really tried to push the envelope with every new design (RF electrical engineer) for decades, so to stop cold turkey had me wondering if I'd get bored. Just the opposite, been keeping busy doing all kinds of stuff whenever I want. Some days I get up at 5:00AM, somedays I get up at 9:00.

Luckily, our state pretty much remained open last year w/respect to COVID, so that had minimal impact on my daily life (other than just being cautious when going out).

Buying pins slowed way down tho, only because I wanted to do a better job of learning the rules. Plus the lineup is pretty solid.

#34 2 years ago

With the way 2021 started out I thought we were in for another bad year but it ended up being a great year. My kids were able to go back to in person school in February 2021 and life returned pretty much back to normal with my kid's sports (hockey keeps us busy). We also went on a bunch of vacations, built a new house, have stayed healthy and are enjoying life again. If there's one silver lining to the shit-show that was 2020 is that I now get to WFH (Which makes total sense for IT) instead of pointlessly commuting everyday.

#35 2 years ago

I have pinball machines, air in my lungs, healthy kids, and parents.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Retired on the last day of 2020, so just over a year under my belt.
    Can't say I miss work, I thought I might but it surprisingly didn't happen.

I miss work like I miss a sore dick.

#37 2 years ago

You forgot the sarcasm...

#39 2 years ago

Put me in the happier camp. COVID seems to be winding down (hopefully), my job is going well, I have three pinball projects waiting so plenty of work to do there and my kid did well his first semester of college. Not bad!

#40 2 years ago

Lots of folks here talking about being better off financially, having less stress, different job, etc. All of these things make us more comfortable in life, but is that 'happiness'? Or are those just elements of happiness? I am not being snarky, I really am asking the question. It just seems like true happiness is a lot more than where a person works, and where they live, or how much they make.

For me, I am happy some days and not so happy on others. Ask me the day someone close to me passes away (which happened a lot this past year) and I will tell you it sucks. Ask me on the day my grandchild was born, and I will tell you that was one of the happiest times of my life. After working with some folks in third world countries who live in shacks with dirt floors and have only the clothes on their backs, you get a different perspective of what Happy is. Some of what I would consider to be the most upbeat and happy people I know, have virtually nothing, live in absolute poverty, and are just glad to be alive and healthy. It's a relative term that we (especially Americans) always seem to equate to wealth. I also know some pretty wealthy people, and there are a few I wouldn't trade lives with for anything. All in all.....I would say most on this forum are financially secure, so if that is the target, almost everyone is going to be "happy"......or are they?

#41 2 years ago

Like other people have mentioned, the Covid outbreak actually landed me a fantastic job. I have nothing but praise for that little virus.

#42 2 years ago

I’m trying to remember the last time lamberger didn’t get ejected from his own thread and drawing a blank.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m trying to remember the last time lamberger didn’t get ejected from his own thread and drawing a blank.

Well he hasn't got a single down vote in the whole thread, so I'm curious if there was a post that got deleted or something.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Well he hasn't got a single down vote in the whole thread, so I'm curious if there was a post that got deleted or something.

Maybe it was this post - authentic frontier gibberish is banned on many forums.

Quoted from Lamberger:

Wow! happiest people ever here. energy is off the charts! For those with different feelings know what to do. Take care, god bless..each and everyone of you. Awful cheers to those that allowed this to happen! Thank you, truly. Smart thinkers here. wink, wink. sarcasm.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

We respect a soldier in our fight for freedom!. I want to send ya $100. wish i could send it to everyone. Hell, i was just watching that magical wishing dragon shit with my kids, made me stop and think, what would I wish for-.. first wish;1.healthy planet. 2. no world starvation. 3. we all get along. Simple right?

I do appreciate the offer man. I can't accept it though. I'm surviving.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I miss work like I miss a sore dick.

FG (resized).jpgFG (resized).jpg
    #48 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe it was this post - authentic frontier gibberish is banned on many forums.

It's thinly veiled pathetic political nonsense, you just need to know how to read the ancient Canadian language of Drunken Gibberish. He's made this identical thread probably a half dozen times since New Years and has gotten banned from each one / thread locked.

Ironically, He's lucky there's such a "liberal" policy here regarding this stuff, elsewhere he'd probably be banned by now.

#49 2 years ago

More money than god and couldn’t be more miserable

1 year deeper into middle age and I hate my cat

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-happier-now-than-a-year-ago-this-week?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.